Is the USA the greatest economy in the world?

I ask because I thought it was but apparently there is only one person who thinks the US has the greatest economy in the world…

4 Likes

I’m not sure what “greatest” means.

3 Likes

I don’t have much besides the dictionary definition. But, I’m open to quantifying how we quantify “greatest”.

Ideas?

Size? GDP? Per Capita GPD? Most influential globally? Most opportunity for an individual to make the most of it?

3 Likes

My qualifier would be how free the market is. China for example has a massive economy but look at the amount of opportunity for individuals, for private innovation, etc. Not too mention I think there’s a direct connection with free markets and personal liberty.

That being said we could have a freer market here but compared to places like China or with how the oligarchy operates in Russia we’re better than most.

3 Likes

Only great people think that.

3 Likes

Great might mean things like largest, healthiest, safest, most resilient, and a host of other things. The lies flying on the stage tonight were really something. Can’t wait to see the polls tomorrow. All I could think of was Harris…

3 Likes

She was laughing too hard to do anything.

6 Likes

If nothing else. If It were Trump raping his family and sheep, and an armed Melania doing coke with hookers…I’d still rather have that than Harris. One of the most disgusting people in the world, Oprah, would be better than Harris. THAT should be terrifying to American who is awake.

11 Likes

If you can trust this source, here is per capita GDP by country. I would do better answering this question if I were at my computer. It’s been a bit since my college economics courses.

2 Likes

By that list, the largest country with a per capita GDP higher than the U.S. has a population that, if it were a US State, would make it the 11th largest US State by population, just above Michigan…for perspective. Some of those countries above the US have populations that wouldn’t fill a single football stadium

1 Like

And thus the reason I asked for the definition of the term greatest before I attempted to answer the question.

Are we looking at income per individual? Global economic influence? Sheer size? Not sure what we mean by “greatest,” so it’s hard to answer the question. Not criticizing, just observing the complexity of the issue.

2 Likes

Totally fair.

So, what do you think the greatest economy in the world is, and why?

1 Like

It’s a bit like asking gruesome newsome if there’s a better state than California.

So you think the US economy is good but the reality is we suck

Jmo,
Our GDP is artificially high.
The facts are the billions for Ukraine
And money in military support for other countries is being spent here on manufacturing of arms and munitions.

1 Like

In China opportunities and liberty for their population are not a consideration. They have a workforce of conscripts. The free markets of importers/consumers of their products have created an economic juggernaught. Innovation is one of their imports through espionage and intellectual theft.

I think people really underestimate the powerful threat China poses to the world and the alliances they are forming across the globe.

4 Likes

Greatest is a hard term to define in the case of economics. I’ll keep it short, our national debt is over 34 trillion, our unfunded liabilities are somewhere near 150 trillion. If an economy is defined as great, shouldn’t that be defined by what it has (owns) rather than how much it owes?

6 Likes

Just getting back from some travel. Give me a bit of time and I’ll try to post some more thoughts. Not promising they will be worth reading. :grin:

2 Likes

I think people really underestimate the powerful threat China poses to the world and the alliances they are forming across the globe.

100% I think we’ve just gotten so used to China and the whole “Made in China” thing. Hell I remember when I was a kid in the 90s and seeing “Made in China” on a label and thinking it was cool because it came from some other country…little did 5 year old me know lol Honestly, and I say this as someone born in '91 when the USSR was about to enter the dustbin of history, I’ve said since I was a teenager China is a bigger concern than Russia.

It’s really interesting to see the permitted “freedom” of the Chinese business as the Communist Party cracks down on them. But I suppose true liberty is anathema in a communist society.

1 Like

Absolutely! We will borrow ourselves into nonexistence with the help of Illegal Immigration and the Democratic “Give everything to everybody, it’s only $20K/year/person!” times 1.5 million. Our right to the guarantees (goals) of the Declaration of Independence have been lost since 1963, the “New Deal” and the Civil Rights Movement gone Mad! We forgot, in our guilt, that every person, minorities included, needed a kick in the butt (from a secure place) to achieve their full potential. Too many on perpetual welfare,

1 Like