Is it worth it?

Ok so ill throw this out for some of the veteran carriers. I’ve watched all the uscca videos (literally all), took concealed carry class have the elite uscca coverage have a glock 27 and am comfortable shooting, have holster options in place for when my ccw comes, I’m convinced it’s the right choice to concealed carry but was curious about what responses I may get…so…is it all worth it?

3 Likes

Only you can answer that question, for yourself. What do you put value on for “worth”?

As a carrier for over 30 years, I would not be doing it if I did not believe that it is ‘worth’ it. Expensive, hassle, wardrobe changes, etc…

9 Likes

Just curious to see point of view from those with experience thanks

1 Like

I definitely think so on the low percentage chance that you do actually need it one day. Fingers crossed that you don’t.

5 Likes

That’s pretty much where I’m at with it…feeling it’s necessary for the times we live in but really hoping it never needs to be used…but it’s a nice immersive pastime

3 Likes

I’ve had a G27 since the mid ‘90s. Good choice. This is a different country than back then. I don’t have stats, but I feel more likely to have a need to defend myself. I’m now old, look like a target, and have about 30 seconds of fight with 10 seconds of run.

12 Likes

Lol I like that answer.

I pray that all of my preparation and training were all for nothing. That I never had to use my firearms in self defense, that all my prepping never came to be useful.

But for me, I’ve known to much evil in my life. So I train and maintain, as it is better to have it and not need it. Than it is to need it and not to have had it.

8 Likes

You may never use any of it during your entire life — making it all worthless. This is the best case scenario.

When training saves your life, your family’s lives, or people you don’t even know in public and USCCA protects your assets… Priceless.

10 Likes

I’m thinking that’s it in a nutshell thanks

2 Likes

Carrying a CCW is like being a pilot and having a parachute. Its a pain to stow and put on but if you really need it you thank God you have it. I have been carrying since the 1990s and its a pain. But in todays world better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

4 Likes

Why do you wear a seat belt while driving and or riding in a car, because you may need it, same with a CCW. Get comfortable with the weapon and may it never be fired in an emergency.

Larry

3 Likes

If I NEVER have to use all the training and $$$$ spent to defend my life or my family I will die a happy man and wish the same for my son’s. If I do and the outcome is in my favor then every dollar and drop of sweat was worth it 10 fold.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

I have carried since 1984, I did not have any membership to anyone. I have felt as though the USCCA has given me the comfort of having my back if trouble was to come my way. The lessons I have learned from the site has given me the confidence to share my knowledge and become a Certified Instructor myself. The funny part is I have been a Culinary Instructor, as I am a chef, but the knowledge of teaching has really helped me with transferring the knowing how people learn and retain information which is important. I really enjoy seeing students become confident themselves and see them improve their skills. I have found a good family of friends here on this site too!

7 Likes

I grew up in a state that refused to allow ccw, so I never had the option to carry or not. Now, for the past 12 years I have done nothing but train, get my certifications, get my USCCA membership, and pray to God, that I never have to use what I have learned/practiced! I use iwb holsters so it never comes up about answering. Pre-covid, I had actually learned to hug in a way so people’s hands/arms where not near my pistol. I know sounds weird, yet then you get the what’s that?

3 Likes

Well said

1 Like

My $0.02.
I enjoy shooting as recreation, aspire to shoot straighter although I’m nearing the age of dimishing returns, and consider base line competence an essential skill right up there with balancing a check book or making a sandwich: so it absolutely is worth it. I usually keep a range bag and 2 or 4 boxes of range ammo in the truck and swing into the club if a few spare minutes and the urge align, it isnt always pre-planned. This convenience alone makes it worth it to me.

That fact that I will have a side arm on my person and know which end faces forward, if ever my life is threatened, may make it even more worth it at some point, but why not just enjoy the journey.

5 Likes

Yes it is brother. First of all it’s an honor and privilege to have your CCW, makes you one of the good guys, you know people are getting denied for petty reasons. I myself feel blessed to have it and knowing that the USCCA is there to back you as a good guy, you don’t have a prayer in the world. As long as we use our heads and carry responsibly we are ahead of the game. We are born to protect like our slogan says. I believe it’s worth it.

6 Likes

You better believe its worth it. It’s obvious the police can not protect you, they just show up to investigate the crime, often trying to find you guilty of some crime. That’s where your USCCA membership comes in. In these times I would not trust anyone for my families safety then myself. I carry all the time its part of my daily routine. I had my Ruger out for repairs for a week and I felt naked, LOL. Be safe and carry everyday.

9 Likes

My short and sweet response is this: I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

4 Likes