Is it worth buying a weapon today?

I think it’s really up to the individual. If he thought it was important I think he wouldn’t have even asked you and probably would have just gotten it (IMO). Sounds like he was having second thoughts about purchasing, or was looking for reassurance on his decision not to buy it.

However, if a friend asked me because he/she didn’t really know but wanted to get into it and was looking for advice from someone who was a little more familiar, I’d say to check out all of the reputable gun stores in the area, see which ones had what, and hopefully one might have limited ammo for gun purchases. If not, then you know which store has what, and you won’t be stuck with something you don’t like. I’d even offer to bring them to the places I go to, as I like seeing what’s available now and then anyway.

When I purchased my last latest firearm at Scheels they offered a 50 round box of ammunition if I wanted to buy it, 9mm for $16. They set aside boxes for those buying firearms.

3 Likes

I’ll be the contrarian. It happens with some frequency.

A firearm without ammo is useless. A firearm without a reliable supply of affordable ammo is almost useless. I don’t buy useless stuff, especially in times like these. And I don’t think buying a gun with no ammo is going to help your friend in any way if he/she isn’t already proficient with the firearm. How the heck is he/she going to learn to use the firearm safely and efficiently without ammunition?

I’ve had a relative and a neighbor recently in the same situation, except I offered to sell them ammo for their pistols for 1/2 to 1/3 the going price. I told them they had to buy at least 200 rds of said ammo and go with me to the range (free lessons), or I wouldn’t sell them any at all. BOTH decided they didn’t need a gun after all. I agree with them.

3 Likes

What Jerzy said. I’ve been getting the majority of my ammo online for at least the last 6 months. I just checked Bulkammo.com, and they have both FMJ and JHP in 9mm. It’s pricey, but available.

1 Like

It’s a dirty job, but someone has to do it. :laughing:

3 Likes

I would buy the gun, i promise you can find ammo (although its expensive right now) i have 1 local gunstore (and im in Cincinnati so that should give ya an idea of how many shops are around) and they sell .9 mm but only 1 box at a time AND hollow points (which you dont wanna target practice with of course to expensive) but if you live out in the country where ships are few and far between go online you can find them.

Some good points brought up in the last few posts.

Yes, ammo is available. But if you can’t afford it, you can’t afford it. The total cost of firearm, ammo, and accessories needs to be tallied before jumping in.

There are lots of things we need to decide on priorities. If you buy a $500 firearm and another $500 in ammo to ensure it works and have a (very small) stash of defensive ammo and a little for practice… but you can’t pay rent or need to skimp on food. Don’t do it.

3 Likes

And training. :wink:
Good point, though. And one to consider when shopping. I can get a cheap pistol that I can afford or I can wait to get the pistol I want, but I can’t do both. The old “cake and eat it too” dilemma.

I think our best course of action is to be enablers who help new gun owners. Sometimes our enthusiasm creates barriers.

3 Likes

Your offer was more than generous. Sounds to me that if the need to use a pistol with no training the fact of having one could be very detrimental.

1 Like

In the case of my neighbor, he has a couple hand guns and a tac shotgun. He wanted to buy an AR “for home defense” due to the riots and what not. I asked some questions. He had ZERO experience with an AR. He decided to buy more slugs, buckshot, and a stock cartridge carrier instead. Then he said he had just bought a new pistol and couldn’t find ammo. I asked more questions. Turned out he couldn’t find ammo he WANTED to buy. It’s going for $1.50 to $3/round. I offered to sell him 200 rds for $200 and go to the range with him. He said “no thanks.” So he bought a $700 pistol and has no ammo and has never fired it because he won’t spend $1/bullet on ammo and free lessons. Having been in this business for decades and lived through 3 big ammo shortages now, my opinion is that this sort of stuff is the norm instead of the exception. I’ve talked to half a dozen FFLs in this area who tell me similar stories are the norm for them now.

In the case of the in-law, he asked me to teach him right when 9mm went to $1.30/rd or so…plus shipping. I offered to sell him 200 rds at a time of my personal stock of range ammo for $1/rd (no shipping). He did a bit of research and decided that was too much $$$ to invest in self-defense. I guess it would have cut into his cigarette, liquor, and golf budget. :wink: Actually, I’m pretty sure he thought he could shoot my guns and my ammo at no cost. But that isn’t happening when it costs me $2/rd to replace what I paid 20-30 cents to stock up on over the past decade. “Lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.”

4 Likes

You get it! :smiley:

That is why I live in Florida.

1 Like

Well I still would buy,and just cont to watch for ammo. Basic self defense he just needs a box possibly to start. Also never know some of his friends that may have a little extra may donate a box. So yes buy

1 Like

Lots of ammo available. Not at the price it was 2 years ago, but pretty much as much as you want if you are willing to pay the price. Here is a great ammo search web site that I have always had great luck with.

3 Likes

I agree with the majority as well. You friend should purchase the firearms. Ammunition can be purchased online. He can even ask the stores he was shopping at if they have a notification list that he can sign up for so he can be notified when ammo comes in (the gun club I am a member at does this).

Let’s say your friend waits to buy the gun until ammo comes. Ammo shows up but now the gun is gone. In crazy times like this you just have to take what you can get. Get the gun, find ammo, train as often as possible, stay vigilant, and carry a gun :).

4 Likes

I have some friends, well back before shortage. Told them they better be buying. Well they ignored my my advice which was borderline harping at them. Now they are complaining. One even said I could sell him some of mine. The answer was nope on that. Even at this time they can still find it bringing a little patience to bear. They still aren’t buying. When I bought it was normal amounts that I could usually afford"No Hoarding". But over time I built up my supply. Its like buy one to shoot,One to keep. Always shooting the older ammo

2 Likes

I’ll side with @Ken38 on this for the most part. If your friend is making this point about availability now then I would guess he has an informed opinion already. I wouldn’t press him to buy. Current government insures us that affordable availably will not happen for years to come, if ever. Manufacturers and distributors are making unprecedented profits. Capitalism at its finest. I don’t begrudge them tho. Make it when you can.

2 Likes

I have been watching those talks that the Pres of Federal says their production is at Max.May be not the makers. But the suppliers are sure making those $. Check out C.T.D. and few others. It way out there for sure. All we do is hang in there and hope for improvement. I heard a short ways back that the AG of Texas had filed something on CTD for Gouging. True or False? Haven’t heard anything on it since.

If your friend wants to purchase a firearm to have the ability to protect his family, by all means he should.
He should understand gun safety of course, and get at least some rudimentary training—whatever he can afford —you could probably supply that to your friend.
He can buy ammunition on line—probably can’t afford a lot of ammunition as things now stand, but enough ammo to familiarize himself, keep a loaded magazine or two just in case and enough for a monthly or so range session (augmented with plenty of dryfire) with hopefully a box or two held in reserve until things improve on the ammo supply front.
He should pick it up today before the current powers that be try to turn the rest of the USA into California.

1 Like

YES! Ammo can be found by luck.