New gun buyers-no ammo

I was in a large local shop yesterday. Lots of folks shopping and buying but ammo almost nonexistent . Saw one chap buy a .38 revolver and all the ammo he could get for it was one 20 round box-and this for a firearms “newbie”. Strange times…

4 Likes

Even in my little town where nothing has happened the shelves are almost bare. Strange times indeed. :thinking:

2 Likes

I just bought a S&W model 19 357 Magnum yesterday. They had no 357 Magnum and 2 box’s of .38 practice rounds. They had some home defense rounds but I was going for something I could shoot now.

Try using the search engine AmmoSeek - they show all ammo - types, calibers, shipping costs available nationwide - by vendor.

3 Likes

Ammo has been hard to get everywhere. Same with reloading supplies. The panic buying combined with the upcoming deer season has made sure that ammo is getting even harder to find. I’ve severely limited live fire training, as well as range time this year due to this. I reload, and when I have a hard time even getting reloading components, it’s time to reduce how much I shoot and sit tight. I feel bad for the new gun owners that are either looking to make sure they have a way to defend themselves and family, or looking to get into the hobby. On the bright side, the large increase in new gun owners has made the conversation shift away from how easy it is to get a gun, and how we “need better gun control laws” for the moment.

I found a place that had 556 ammo. picked up 2 boxes for 19.00 each. that hurt.

1 Like

I am glad I kept my stock pile up before this shortage happened. :wink:

1 Like

I have a lot here too but its like toilet paper in winter. You see some you buy it just in case. better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

2 Likes

If allowed to purchase online, I have find the best time to look is between midnight and 4am. Believe it on not, I found 9mm last night for $0.47 per round. Still approximately $0.15 more than two months ago. That said, it’s considerably cheaper the $1.25 per round on most other sites.

1 Like

Yep! I purchased a sig x 320 compact 2 weeks ago. They would only sell the ammo to people who purchased a firearm. The woman who runs the place was telling me she is getting calls from all over the US from other shops if they have ammo to sell. Crazy!

1 Like

Try website - ammoseek.com

2 Likes

I stop by my local shop and Cabelas every week or so just to see if there’s anything available. For months, Cabelas is usually bare, except for a couple boxes of .25ACP and 41 Rem Magnum. Lots of shotgun ammo and hunting rifle calibers. The local range has a few boxes in most common calibers, but limits how many boxes you can purchase. Since I have enough supply, I wait for a brand or type that I have already tested in my firearm.

I use Ammobuy.com for everything. Great site. Just bought some 9mm and 5.56 in bulk tonight.

1 Like

Been getting my ammo from gun shows, all the stores are out around me.