Out of ammo

I’m sure I am not the only one who has this problem right now. So I am asking for advise or help or whatever feedback I can get.
In my area (central Wisconsin) there is a shortage of ammunition in the popular calibers. I have a .380 and my wife has a snubnose. 38 special. I only have a few boxes left for each. And cannot find any more. So now I am not willing to do live fire practice for fear of not having any thing or not enough if the need arises.
Any suggestions? Any ideas? Any one?
Any and all feedback is welcome
Thanks in advance

4 Likes

Your best bets are online purchases if you can make them in your state, from one of the many places posted in other threads, or by calling smaller shops you want to drive to or pay for shipping from. I’ve not had any problem here in the south, including 2 boxes of unusual .32 with the Tomcat. In this environment, one has to be creative. Planning goes a long way.

4 Likes

@Sharky711 check out Dunhams if you have one near you or are willing to travel a bit. Dunhams in Shawano has .380 for $17.99 but no .38 SPL. Check at the different stores and or call. :+1:

2 Likes

Tom Gresham suggests approaching ammo purchasing like you do stocks and “dollar cost average” so you’re purchasing at a consistent rate sometimes above market sometimes below market but at the end of the day you have plenty stored up.

I’ve been surprised locally that several of the local gun shops actually have plenty (9mm, 40 S&W, 556) at current market prices, so maybe check some of the smaller gun shops in smaller towns around where you live.

Also as others have mentioned look online to purchase. If you set up an account (cost of giving them your email address) you can set up notices when ammo you’re looking for is in stock if they are actually out (Freedom Munitions does anyway). You need to be quick when you get that notification though because it goes quick.

The other suggestion I have is limiting the amount you expend at the range. Since March I’ve been limiting myself to 1 50rd box a month (although on a recent trip I broke my diet and went through three boxes). So make sure you have a plan before you go and thoughts on how you want to spend each round.

3 Likes

Sadly, many e-tailers cupboards are bare right now

Dry fire.
Dry fire a lot.
Maybe get an air soft?

If it’s any comfort, in High Noon, Marshall Will Kane(Gary Cooper) successfully takes on the Miller Gang with only two boxes of ammunition.

2 Likes

FBI statistics say that in a self-defense shooting that an average of three shots per person is fired. The average distance is about 10 feet. The average time is about 1.5 seconds.
In combat we carried 12 mags for the M-16 and six mags for my .45.

3 Likes

If that’s a standard load out, per individual, I’m good x8, have extra. I’m selling 30 round mags filled at $450.00 each. Mention “Anarchy” and get free shipping :joy: Is that considered price gouging?

3 Likes

Specialty ammo? That is not price gouging. Supply and demand.

4 Likes

Opticsplanet.com just announced today that they are selling ammo. When I checked they had plenty in stock earlier this afternoon.

Find your smaller shops and see if you can find out when they get their shipment. Might give you an inside edge.

Ammoseek.com is another good site that links to retailers for ammo supplies.

3 Likes

I agree with @Brad and online purchases would be your best bet. Here in the state of VA is the same ammo is scarce.

1 Like

on Op, how do you know its " instock" ? I ordered some sights though them thinking they actually had them in stock but then my confirmation said they expects to ship 20+ days… I would hate to commite to ammo and then get some notice after spending money like that.

I ordered some ammo - estimated to ship within 10-21 days… :confused:

Look for the “check availability” hyperlink. If you click on that it will tell you if it is in stock or the expected in stock date. This is the only inconvenience of this website. I order from them quite a bit and have to remember to do this.

As a USCCA member, we get a 10% discount. You call them to get this discount. They will help you with finding in stock items as well when you call.

2 Likes

OpticsPlanet is awesome. If you call to order they generally give a generous discount. Become an elite/premier/whatever member and also look on DVOR, their sister site. Ammo won’t likely be discounted.

3 Likes

Estimated shipping even at 21 days for a bulk order isn’t too terrible. I have an OK supply of ammo, but want to be able to live fire train more than I have been recently.

They also give you a coupon if you subscribe to their text messages. :innocent:

2 Likes

I live in Florida and have had problems finding ammo. A friend of mine suggest Rural King and I went to see what they had, I purchased 5 boxes of 40 for my Glock and 1000 rounds of 5.56 for my AR15. I am sure they ship.

2 Likes

I expected some feedback. I did not expect so much so quick. Thank you. I will check out opticsplanet when I get home and there is a duhnams in Steven’s point bit they are out. Again thank you uscca. So happy I joined

1 Like

Our members and community peeps are pretty spectacular!

2 Likes

I have had pretty good luck with Target Sports USA and Lucky Gunner over the last several months. Palmetto State Armory and SG Ammo are two more that I have bought from since things got bad.

I too :frowning:

I live Northeast - and you can not get 9MM anywhere - I have gone to websites / stores / Etc and everyone shows out of stock - you can sign up for notifications but I did that 3 weeks ago and no update to out of stock

Through a Friend 3 weeks ago he told me of ammoseek.com items showed on hand ordered 1000 and still have not received it -

I currently have 200 of Target Ammo and 500 of Self defense Ammo - I think I have way to much Self Defense so I am using it up to keep a inventory of 150 -

If Ammo out of stock stays this way for another few weeks I will not be able to go to the range anymore

I shoot 100-150 weekly so I will be out in 3 weeks :frowning: