Instructor CCW course

Once an instructor is certified with USCCA what states can you get certified in to teach the class?

4 Likes

@Ronald112 Great question. I have no clue but someone will be along soon to answer. I just wanted to say… WELCOME!

3 Likes

@Ronald112 When you have a question for USCCA use the tag @Dawn, it will ping her directly and she can get you an answer.
By the way. Welcome to the community. :+1:

3 Likes

I’m considering this, wanting to get some perspective as to my suitability as a documented instructor. There are precious few courses available in my area, basically none I’m aware of. I have been a trainer of critical skills before, but not in an official capacity of any kind when it comes to firearms training. It’s not something I would want to get into lightly. Any resources or thoughts to aid in my evaluation would be appreciated. There is a class coming up at the end of the month I could potentially attend if it seemed a good fit.

2 Likes

Also requirements for being an instructor, I didn’t note a particular list , but maybe i just missed it.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

Welcome to the community.

2 Likes

Oh, sorry, welcome to the community.

2 Likes

I didn’t see an answer about which states an USCCA Instructor can officially instructor a CCW course in (maybe I missed it). I live in Las Vegas, NV, so if I take the USCCA Instructor Course in Tulsa, Ok, can I legally instruct and sign off the CCW classroom safety and proficiency requirements in Nevada for my students?

2 Likes

No answer yet.

1 Like

@Dawn must be “out” today. LOL I checked on the Dashboard and it doesn’t answer this question so call
[1-877-577-4800) Good luck all. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks

2 Likes

In an only speak for my state, But I took my instructor course for the NRA out of state and it wasn’t a problem. Usually, each state has specific guidelines for becoming certified to teach permit courses. When I started looking into it I simply googled it and was directed right to the spot with the info.

Hope this helps, I’m just not comfortable saying outside of my home state (Mississippi). The process usually varies from state to state.

For what it’s worth, I live in an area that’s bordered by TN and AL. I have students come from these states frequently to take USCCA CCHD and NRA CCW. I can’t issue them a permit since I’m not certified with their states but they can absolutely attend the course and get the training.

3 Likes

I will be watching for an answer as well. It looks like if you teach the state add on information you get with your instructor information and include the recognition letter from the state with the USCCA certificate it should be good, as long as you teach what the state requires. I live in and teach the IL course. But if I were to Add the Florida information I can sigh the certificate and theoretically the student could get a Florida permit as well as long as they follow Florida’s rules to get the permit. This is my understanding but I have not been able to contact anyone in Florida to confirm this though.

2 Likes

Sorry, took a few hours off. :innocent:

You can teach in all 50 states - using the state appropriate supplements. HOWEVER, you need to make sure the state you’re teaching in recognizes the USCCA’s curriculum. Check with your local training counselor to see if your state recognizes the USCCA’s curriculum or give us a shout at 877-677-1919. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Sometimes you need to do that!
7860E1E9-F4DE-4541-997D-703C3597537B.png

2 Likes

every state has a different requirement in order to teach a class that will be recognized on an application.
In my State - Utah you have to do a few things

Step 1 - you must already be a permit holder before applying to be an instructor
Step 2- become a pistol firearms instructor via the NRA or equivalent (USCCA fulfills that equivalent in my state) or you have to be Post certified.
Step 3 - attend the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) law certification class and pass the test.
Step 4 - submit Conceal carry permit/Firearms instructor cetification/BCI certification/application to BCI
Step 5- get your Utah Conceal Carry Instructor Permit
Step 6 - begin teaching Conceal Carry classes.

without the BCI certification, the Conceal Carry Class we would teach under the NRA or USCCA is not valid for a Permit. Conceal carry class must meet the standard of BCI and any instructor caught teaching less than the requirement will result with a 10k fine.
@Ronald112

2 Likes

Thanks Steven, I have the Utah CCW currently I will have to make a trip to St George for the next class.

2 Likes

are you trying to become a Utah Instructor? The Current classes in September are full. The next available class for BCI will be next May more than likely.

2 Likes

Yes, I saw that on the website I will try and get on the wait list. If they accept the USCCA I will do there class.

Thanks for letting me know!

3 Likes