Can you be a instructor without doing USCCA or NRA

Can you be a instructor without doing USCCA or NRA

What kind of instructor? Iā€™m a volunteer 4H rifle instructor. I went through a certification for 4H.

1 Like

Anyone can teach anything. The questions are: Can you deliver training that includes a certification others seek? Can you get paid for the training you deliver?

5 Likes

I am looking to do some basics training of new gun owners and some home safety.

Do I really need the NRA or USCCA to start?

I think what I am trying to learn is that I am a Flight Instructor and I could NOT do the job without the FAA testing.

Is guns not like that

You will not be able to teach concealed carry classes without becoming an instructor with the USCCA, NRA or DOJ. Some states may have other organizations that have to certify an instructor to teach those classes.

I would suggest reviewing the laws of your state when it comes to firearms training. You might get path to a resource at your state regarding firearms education by visiting the USCCA Reciprocity Map and going through a link there for concealed carry. It wonā€™t get you directly to the information youā€™re looking for, but it will get you in a general ballpark to start.

5 Likes

In Nebraska the State Patrol is in charge of issuing conceal carry permits and setting the regulations concerning them. Nebraska State Patrol requires certification as a firearms instructor either as member of state law enforcement, from US Military, National Rifle Association or ā€œsome other program meeting the same standardsā€ submitted to the Nebraska State Patrol. Doesnā€™t mention USCCA by name. Instructors also have to submit a lesson plan for review. They must also be a US citizen at least 21 years of age and be legally able to posses firearms according to federal laws, have no felony convictions, convictions of firearm violations within last 10 years in Nebraska or anywhere else, or have a history of mental illness. Same rules for the person who applies for the permit after taking the class.

How can I find out the law in AZ?

My story is that I have been involved with firearms for many years and found myself helping other with issues or just gaining basic knowledge. Reality struck and I thought well lets get trained as a instructor and maybe income from teaching might cover my shooting habit. One thing led to another and I,m a NRA instructor thru Defensive pistol, USCCA certified instructor and Training Counselor. Youā€™re a FAA instructor now so you know how to teach if you know firearms as well as you know flying you should be good. Without certification from some approved source you canā€™t certify. If your content being the buddy people come to for a basic answer and have the knowledge to answer the question correctly your already good but to go further training and certification is required. Check your state requirements some are easy to acquire others are very involved.

3 Likes

Are you in the Phoenix area?? There is a training counselor doing instructor classes in the area at the Ben Avery range. A phone call could fill in so many blanks for you.

Try contacting: Dave Erisman 602-790-3644

2 Likes

Permit me to flip the question:
Would you pay to take a firearms course from an instructor who had no certifications or credentials?

7 Likes

AZā€“why do you want to be an instructor? More importantly, why donā€™t you want to learn to instruct the right way?

1 Like

For example, in TX the License To Carry (LTC) requisite training must be conducted by an instructor licensed by the TX Dept of Public Safety (DPS). Thatā€™s the ā€œstate policeā€ to all you Yankees. Now, they have prerequisites; most of which are current NRA pistol instructor certifications. Then, you can take their cert course at the state capital. It takes a couple of days. But this is ONLY to teach the course and conduct the range qual for a Texas LTC. If you want to teach somebody to shoot a pistol, there is ZERO requirement or licensing. If you expect to get paid or use someone elseā€™s range facility without USCCA or NRA instructor certs, you are going to have a very hard time.

2 Likes

It ainā€™t Chuck Norris, I know that much.

2 Likes

Another aspect might be insurance. I would think NRA RSO or the equivalent would be needed to get any type of insurance, or to lease most ranges.

1 Like

Aside from issuing certificates and validating yourself as a certified instructor, if you certify through the NRA or USCCA you are backed by a curriculum that has been vetted and can stand up to opposition. Even if you do not plan to issue permits, I think itā€™s a good idea to explore certification, if nothing else, to CYA.

1 Like

Before I started a class or training program Iā€™d want to know what the credentials of the instructor are. An instructor who is accredited by a recognized organization will have a better chance of teaching me skills and knowledge based on laws and traditions. The guy who makes the doughnuts at the diner may not. (by the way I like his doughnuts)

1 Like

Will the TX DOT accept USCCA instead of NRA certification in order to be certified as an instructor.

On my paperwork from the Sheriffs office it asks for a NRA certification, nothing about USCCA. Iā€™ll have to make an appointment with him to see if itā€™s either/or. Glad my neighbor works in his officešŸ˜Ž

The USCCA is a National Training Organization and is recognized by Texas. Itā€™s not called out by name, but it is alluded to in their documentation:

(2) regularly instructs others in the use of handguns and has graduated
from a handgun instructor school that uses a nationally accepted course designed to
train persons as handgun instructors; or

You can find the above quote and an assortment of other fun legalese on this document form their website: Details - DPSnet Internet Forms which features this PDF:

(This comment was posted on 3/19/21, please be sure to double check the latest laws if youā€™re seeing this after the post date. And as always, speaking with your local sheriff is a great option - not only for the latest local concealed carry information, but also to build a personal relationship with them in case the worst happens.)

2 Likes