I'm watching the Police activity from my condo

The problem is that covering miles and living off the land at the same time don’t mix very well. It sounds like those kids knew the jungle and knew what to eat. The jungle has a lot of food options if you know what’s safe and what’s not. And if they weren’t traveling far they could maximizes their search for calories while minimizing the burning of them.

In @Doug48 ’s scenario it would be hard to cover a lot of miles quickly while searching for food. If a person is in really good backpacking shape with their feet toughened up, not carrying too much weight and they have good footwear they could cover 20+ miles/day pretty easily walking trails or backroads. But that means hiking most of the day with little time for food gathering and avoiding threats. They will be burning at least 5000 to 6000 calories a day and drinking 2 or so gallons of water a day.

But most people (even the ones in very good shape) aren’t prepared for that kind of grind for more than a couple days in a row even if they can somehow miraculously find all that food and water without significant detours and pauses. Many hiking boots start breaking down before the 1000 mile mark leading to more foot issues.

The most calories I’ve been able to carry is about 25k. Which lasted me for 10 days and about 230 miles before I had to resupply in town eating all the food I could get my hands on before filling up my pack and starting on my next stretch. But I had the advantage of knowing where all the water sources were and where my next resupply would be and I didn’t have to avoid other desperate people.

4 Likes

Newser
Newser

Follow

Keys to This Jungle ‘Miracle’: Flour, Seeds, a Savvy Girl

Story by John Johnson • Yesterday 9:00 AM

[image]

In this photo released by Colombia's Armed Forces Press Office, soldiers and Indigenous men tend to the children found in the Amazon jungle. ©Colombia's Armed Force Press Office via AP

In this photo released by Colombia’s Armed Forces Press Office, soldiers and Indigenous men tend to the children found in the Amazon jungle. ©Colombia’s Armed Force Press Office via AP© Newser

“Miracle, miracle, miracle” is how a Colombian general involved in the search for four missing siblings described their survival over 40 days in the Amazon jungle. The Indigenous children, ages 1 to 13, were found Friday by searchers hunting for them ever since their small plane crashed on May 1, killing their mother and two pilots. So how did they survive? Three factors helped: flour from the plane wreckage, fruit and seeds from the jungle, and having an extraordinarily capable 13-year-old leading them.

・The children’s grandfather told reporters they found cassava flour, or farina, in the wreckage, reports the Guardian. “After the farina ran out, they began to eat seeds,” said Fidencio Valencia.

・“There’s a fruit, similar to passionfruit, called avichure,” said Edwin Paki, an Indigenous leader who helped in the search. “They were looking for seeds to eat from an avichure tree about a (mile and a half) from the site of the plane crash.” A key factor in their favor: “The jungle was in harvest,” says the head of the Colombian Institute of Family Welfare.

・The children are dehydrated and have “nutritional deficiencies,” but appear to have no major injuries, per the BBC. “In general the children, the boy and the girls are in an acceptable state … (and) they are out of danger,” says defense minister Ivan Velasquez, who credited 13-year-old Lesly for keeping them alive. “It is thanks to her, her value and her leadership, that the three others were able to survive, with her care, her knowledge of the jungle.”

・Their grandmother, Fatima Valencia, told reporters the eldest girl was used to looking after her younger siblings while their mother worked. The baby turned 1 in the jungle and another sibling turned 5, per the BBC. The other sibling is 9 years old.

・The children, who belong to the Huitoto indigenous group, say their dog also survived the crash and remained with them initially but disappeared, per the AP. The military continues to hunt for the Belgian Shepherd named Wilson.

4 Likes

That is dog gone IMPRESSIVE! (No other word fits). Lesly is a true Hero ! But that is because
she was ‘TAUGHT’ core values and it was instill in her to be a nurturer. Sounds like that entire family loved each other and had each others backs. The Mother (R.I.P) worked so Lesly became the nurturer for her siblings, the Grand parents sound like they were all close and (my opinion only) THAT is what it takes to raise a child-FAMILY. That is what is lacking these days all across the country and THAT is what creates these brutal/soulless thugs that think nothing of pulling their GAT’s (usually stolen) on anybody when either they don’t get their way or for the slightest offense (like a friggin; $4 donut! in another topic).
Gangs are NOT your family.
the Government,THIS Government is NOT your family.
Our Children are NOT ‘HIS’ Children !
Say what you want about Indigenous People and so called 3rd world countries but in my mind they still
have their act together (family-wise) compared to more ‘civilized’ countries. Governments are usually corrupt as sh-- ! all over. It’s the Family/Citizens/PEOPLE that do the Heavy Lifting. Sorry about the dog
probably succumbed to the elements , dehydration or predators, shame my (2) boys are Shepherds.

4 Likes

I remember back in the ‘80s, a teibe of eskimos were having a problem with one of the young men. Always fighting, stealing and beating ppl up. Feds locked him up a cpl times but did no good. The young man got worse. The tribe elders asked if they could pass a sentence and the feds finally let them.

The elders took the young man out to the middle of an ice flow, dropped him off and said see you in six months if you’re alive. After six months, the elders found him,and the tribe didn’t have anymore problems from him.

4 Likes

Lesson learned and he is alive right?
There is no justice anymore, or shall I say NO PENALTY for your actions anymore.
But daily you read in say AMMOLAND that this Gunner or family member picked up a
firearm and defended self or others from Invaders,rapists,gangs etc.
WE are our own First and Last Responders today. Call 911? don’t be stupid.
Call 911 after the threat is neutralized? OK.
You can take my Guns…NEVER

2 Likes