A few blocks away but still too close for comfort

I had a “stand off” with a couple of young guys crossing this intersection last summer. They lined up on me in the cross walk and walked at me like I wasn’t even there. I went around to their right and shouldered one of the kids, he turned, I turned, he snickered and we continued on. That’s not a real good area right now.

8 Likes

And I thought SLC was a really peaceful city where the people all greet each other’s with kind words and bring pies over to have coffee in the morning at the local diner.

7 Likes

Aaa yea, that did happen once…

6 Likes

back in the day! When man was a man and women were ladies.

8 Likes

The last time that happened to me was back in the 1970’s About 6 black punks lined up across a street in front of me. I was driving my 1967 4 speed Corvette with open exhaust at the time. I dropped it back down to first gear and popped the clutch. I never laughed so hard in my life. It was a good thing that they knew how to fly!

5 Likes

I’d wager that even in the worst areas, Salt Lake City is way safer than many urban areas.

When my wife and I lived in Salt Lake, we lived near the King’s English bookstore north of the Sugarhouse area. We lived in a dumpy duplex where we used a swamp cooler in the summer, and burned coal in our fireplace in the winter, but it was what we could afford.

We left SLC, poor as church mice, 6 figures of student loan debt to pay off and landed in St, Louis. My wife worked in the hospital in East St. Louis where the urban landscape can only be described as “bombed out.” The hospital was very adept at handling gunshot wounds. One of the first things my wife had to do was to fire a security guard who looked like Rosie Greer for leaving the hospital to attend a basketball game.

I worked in downtown St. Louis, near Cardinals’ stadium where I was panhandled by bums every single day going to and from my car. Our red Toyota pickup literally turned yellow from pollen. Walking around the Arch area in the summertime heat/humidity was “religious experience hot.”

SLC ain’t too bad in comparison.

3 Likes

That was 130 years ago when Mormons were hired to build railroads from SLC to Ogden.

6 Likes

Downtown and Glendale are getting pretty rough right now. Ballpark is so nasty that the Millers decided to build a baseball stadium out west and move the Bee’s. Downtown, where I live, has been pretty bad, 11 shooting’s within 2 blocks of my front door, 5 knife fights that are in the same area in the past year. Up there where you lived, Sugarhouse, has been pretty mellow but we all know where there’s money there are police.

4 Likes

And you’re still living there why? :thinking:
There’s plenty of housing here without all the murder. :grinning:

2 Likes

Like I’ve said, we are working on getting out of here right now. Rural Southern Utah looks like our landing zone.

Oh I forgot to add:

My wife used to manage a store down there.

6 Likes

Are you waiting for @BeanCounter to buy your condo? :grinning:

5 Likes

Not going to sell it to anyone I know, that would just be mean…

8 Likes

Unbelievable but true, it’s generally safer right now in Sacramento than SLC, in spite of Mayor Steinberg.

6 Likes

@Mike164 Stay safe, brother

4 Likes

Thank You Sir.
I gotta get out of this place…

7 Likes
8 Likes

That’s exactly where my mind went too.

7 Likes

I knew there was a song in there somewhere.

6 Likes

@Karacal So PLENTY OF HOUSING YOU SAY?? The Government wants us to take in illegal aliens into our homes, you know! Hmmmm! plenty of housing :thinking: Government will be knocking on doors soon, thanks for letting the Government know there’s PLENTY OF HOUSING! :laughing: Texas Governor Abbott will be sending in bus loads of illegal aliens! :laughing:

4 Likes

It’s Reno, NV, where rock bands come to die!
The government isn’t sending anyone here. :grinning:

1 Like