I'm not a STUPID farmer!

The Foster family I was living with had 8 boys being fostered. At $600 a month each plus we worked as free labor year round on their 5000 acre farm. Then worked 20 hours a week at their churches nursery (plants) and kept our pay … For our own good of course.

That 5 gallon bucket was filled every Sunday between the 4 hour morning sermon and the 2 hour evening sermon. God help you if you ate any blackberries, they checked. Also these weren’t nicely grown blackberries. No these were wild, and wild blackberries grow in pricker bushes.

But I will say, with what my cousin had trained, and the reputation I had earned over 4 years and the extra muscle. Absolutely no one wanted to mess with me. After one new guy tried me I caught on. Next time a new student wanted some. I asked him who told you about me. He pointed out the guys who had done it and I went after them. I got suspended for 2 weeks and Aunt Betsy had Uncle Bugsy tan my hide with a razor strap. But after my sperm donors beatings. It took alot more than a woopin to make an impression.

3 Likes

Bloomberg’s farmer comment reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.

4 Likes

yep!!!

3 Likes

8 Likes

That is funny!

4 Likes

Because any rube can care for 10’s of thousands of dollars of animals.

6 Likes

As a “tech worker” with a BS in MIS and having worked in Silicon Valley, all that I need is for the Republicans and Democrats to quit importing people from India and China to do my job for 50% less than I need for the same job.

Not only haven’t I received a raise in my job as a system administrator in 20 years, but I’ve been out of work for several years and I’m thinking of going down to Home Depot for a job this week. The globalists are insane!!!

4 Likes

I was a Microsoft Certified in Exchange and Systems Administration prior to me jumping ship on the corporate world, again, to reenter the entrepreneurship world once again. (The wife and I are just not meant to work for other people). I only had 1 job where I got nice raises during that time. The other times if I wanted a raise I had to quit and go work somewhere else.

I virtually guarantee if you move to Austin you’ll have an IT job.

Hey wait just a second. Bloomberg is right! I WAS in IT which means I have more grey matter then your average mouth breathing farmer.

2 Likes

A couple of other things, I remember from working that farm.

1. Milking Cows are absolutely the most vile, evil, and disgusting creatures ever, when you put them in the milking shed. You paid attention or the cow would get you. Back to the cows only time a concession was made to the 8 of us boys, and it was full on Lord of the Flies out there sometimes. But the only concession was we would put our heavy gloves on and carry a hot rock with us out to the milking barn so our hands would be warm on their udders.

As my daughter would say, you don’t understand, I Saw Things Man, I Saw Things. To this day I still do not drink milk.

1. Farm Cats, The Foster family I lived with kept about 6, farm cats, they can hear you milking from 5,000 acres away. The same cats that ripped you to shreds yesterday, as you tried to get them to move from a sun spot so you could stack more hay. Would undergo a transformation into the sweetest cat in the world rubbing against you and purring at you and trying to get you to send a squirt of milk their way. Upon receipt of said milk they return to their daily scheduled routine as Satan.
6 Likes

I think we should have Mike move “calves” out to pasture in fall. He should automatically know how to use stanchions and that you cant just use any old rope, right?

4 Likes

Make him halter break young bulls all day.

5 Likes

Today I had to kick the ram in the head! If you turn your back on him he will jump up and dive bomb your knee/thigh. You have to be very careful or you’ll need ACL surgery. You can’t back down or cower are he’ll be more emboldened next time.

Oh wait, kicking a big mean male sheep who is attacking you, is that animal cruelty!?
Bloomberg’s solution, try and talk and reason with the animal, what will the children think of you aggressing this human.

5 Likes

I’m so sorry, sir!

I actually felt that! I do pray opens a door for you!

4 Likes

He’d probably stop and frisk it.

4 Likes

I feel you. I’ve had to bash a bull with a Maglite flashlight before.

My parents are out of town, so after I work my 10 hour shift, I head to their house and feed cows, then stand in the cold rain/snow and fill water tanks. If they freeze over, I’ll be out there tomorrow with a hatchet chopping holes in ice.

4 Likes

I lived on a farm in my very young years and still have great respect for farmers. A huge mistake my mom made was thinking that town or city life was better. I know that you can’t learn as many things in a town as you can working on a farm. Another great thing is that many farmers know a lot about firearms! I wonder if Mike thought about that! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

My step grandfather was a life long farmer. He was an excellent shooter. I asked him his secret, his reply, Kentucky windage.

6 Likes

My grandfather was a farmer & I seen him work in the field & take care of the cow’s,horeses,hog’s & chicken’s.He was a hard working man.It was no easy task by any mean.Bloomberg don’t know what he’s talking about.

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum Wanda!

3 Likes

3 Likes