I'm not a STUPID farmer!

Today I heard the audio of M. Bloomberg about how stupid farmers are and how tech workers have and need more “grey matter” to do their jobs.

You can only imagine how how how “upset” I was to hear this! I yelled at my radio “well ## ##” and I am generally very very easy going! Man I’m angry still thinking about it.

I have land and farm, not as my main source of income but supplementing it, and it’s darn fun and rewarding. Here are some of the things us “Idiot Farmers” have to contend with.

Soil Preparation; till or no till, plowing and harrowing, what time of year to start, what is the % of soil moisture to be most effective, lab soil testing, Herbicide treatment including it’s timing, concentration, weeds/grasses affected, weather interruption, Additives, pH reducers/elevators, Ammonium Nitrate Fertilization, concentration, absorption rate, application equipment/spray heads…

You know I could go on and on from sowing, growing, harvesting, climate conditions, to markets on when to sell, timing futures markets, equipment and capital investment purchasing, crop insurance,

If putting a kernel of corn in the ground is so easy why does Texas A&N even have the school of ag? Why is it a minimum of 4 years just to produce idiots! Bloomberg encapsulated the entire 4 year degree down into 1 sentence, what a bunch of fools in college! What a bunch of low and little grey matter persons affected with extreme intellectual disabilities.

See, I’m still … excreting fluids, so to speak.

Anyway, here is what he said quoted below, which now he is saying he never said that and/or it was taken out of context.

Also, I apologize for being so long winded.

If you think about it, the agrarian society lasted 3,000 years, and we could teach processes. I could teach anybody, even people in this room so no offense intended, to be a farmer. It’s a process. You dig a hole, you put a seed in, you put dirt on top, add water, up comes the corn. You could learn that. Then you have 300 years of the industrial society. You put the piece of metal on the lathe, you turn the crank in the direction of the arrow, and you can have a job. And we created a lot of jobs. At one point, 98 percent of the world worked in agriculture; today it’s two percent in the United States. Now comes the information economy, and the information economy is fundamentally different because it’s built around replacing people with technology, and the skill-sets you have to learn are how to think and analyze, and that is a whole degree/level different. You have to have a different skill-set; you have to have a lot more gray matter.

13 Likes

A co-worker from New York once asked me what time zone my city was in (which is where corporate headquarters was). Took me a minute to realize it was an insult, customary with some New Yorkers. It is a type of personality disorder, when a person needs to put down others to feel better about himself, and it is very endemic to NY.

8 Likes

If I am picking teams, I will take the farmer.

19 Likes

Pissed me off when I heard it too! Farmers are some of the best people I know. A bunch of farmers raised me and I’ll take them over that self-righteous, entitled POS Doomberg every day of the week.

9 Likes

Without a farmer, the world starves. Growing up on a dairy farm, there is no such thing as a day off. When not milking cows you were growing crops to sustain your herd. You were maintaining equipment. Mentioning the planning and budgeting gives me a headache thinking about it.

9 Likes

Let’s see Bloomberg drive a mid 70’s Case tractor, with a Powershift transmission, while keeping and eye on the round baler he’s working with. Or a S670 John Deere. We’ll see who’s got gray matter then.

9 Likes

@Fred_G Thanks for posting the video, I hadn’t heard this one. I remember listening to Paul Harvey in the car with my Dad.
I listen to his words of wisdom and humor on You-Tube also.

6 Likes

I’m not a farmer. I do not come from a family of farmers. I once dated a girl whose brother was a dairy farmer. We visited for New Years Eve one year. I slept on the living room couch and got up at 4am on January 1 because the house was up (none of us made it to midnight, anyway).

I helped as much as I could, but I was pretty useless, since I was completely unfamiliar with the routine. It ain’t rocket science; it’s harder, because it is just as complicated as rocket science, and you add a ton of physical effort on top of that.

They worked harder and got more done before breakfast at 7am than I have ever done in a week. From that day I have admired farmers.

12 Likes

Wow! I was just about to pull the same video!
Ir’s true you know! A farmer is way more brilliant than tech people…[No offense tech people! You really are a genius too but on another level]

We need produce we don’t “NEED” tech.

7 Likes

@Fizbin OOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM Let it go Brother. He isn’t worth the dirt beneath a farmers feet.
Maybe Farmers should stop sending produce to nyc.

9 Likes

You said it, sir!!

@BRUCE26. I almost would relate him to cow manure but even dung is more profitable than him! :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

8 Likes

That idiot could farm his way out of garden!

7 Likes

Thank you! Everyone’s replies are making me feel a bunch better this morning!

Next week, as I just received my soil analysis from the TA&M lab, I will be creating some long berms 3 feet high, 10 feet across, 50 feet long, then drilling pilot holes 18" deep for 30 more peach trees to be planted. Covering back up and creating a water crater around the trunk, running pvc drip lines for irrigation, sinking in 4 t-posts around each tree then wrapping it with welded wire to keep deer away.

Bloomberg’s solution, take tree, throw it out on the ground pour retired martini ice from glass on it.

12 Likes

I am a tech person and I have nothing but respect and appreciation for farming and farmers. I don’t think a clearly out of touch billionaire should be considered as the voice of farming…or technology.

9 Likes

Best shape I have been in my life was between the summer of 8th grade and 9th grade. We were up by 0430, milking cows, feeding the animals collecting eggs. Had an absolutely enormous breakfast, then we planted til the dew dried and then we bailed hay, bucking it 10 stacks high in an old army truck get the truck filled. Go back to the barn now we had to buck the bales up 2 stories and then 10 stacks high. Enormous lunch, More hay baling. 1500 off to our jobs at the nursery until 1800, then we fed animals again, another enormous meal and off to bed by sunset. Rinse, repeat everyday except Sunday. Then we got to take it easy because we had to fill a 5 gallon bucket with blackberries. Do you know how hard it is to fill a 5 gallon bucket with blackberries?

When school started I grew a few inches and put on an extra 50 pounds of muscle on. Coach made me wee in a cup every week.

9 Likes

There is a reason this county has worked well for so many years - respect for every person, no matter what job they do. From the brain surgeon to the sanitation worker, every job is important and vital to the health of the country. It’s something our country has lost sight of.

I have HUGE respect for people who do their best and try to improve every day, no matter what their job is. I may not be a rocket scientist, but I am good at helping people. That doesn’t mean what I do is less than or more than anyone else.

The day we embrace the less than or more than mentality is the day we lose as a country.

[These are my personal thoughts, not the official statement of the USCCA.]

14 Likes

Midget Mike needs to go on a “cash diet”, just eat his money. Anyone who votes Democrat is giving away their right to carry anyways. They are all anti 2nd amendment.

10 Likes

I so agree!

A great example, there is an amazing gas station chain down here in Texas called Buc-ees. Each station has about 250 gas pumps (no exaggeration) and a big gi-normous convenient store. The restrooms have about 100+ spots for the guys.

There is an attendant that works fulltime in the restrooms, cleaning, Zamboni-ing, everything! The restrooms look GREAT! Every time I see one of these guys I go out of my way to thank them and tell them they are doing a fantastic job. They smile. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

14 Likes

Now, let’s look at the 2020 candidates’ employment history. Which ones had no job, ever (I don’t count political office and activism as gainful employment)?
BTW, President Xi of China started out as a pig farmer, perhaps against his will, but nevertheless. Bloomberg is working on gaining himself international respect, I say :slight_smile:

6 Likes