Illinois Man…

12 Likes

Father was also shot (could easily have been killed). Just one reason not to do this…he very seriously risked getting killed and his daughter never being able to see him again outside of a coffin

7 Likes

And here is the problem - sometimes people forget why they posses the firearms.
As a Parent I can understand his anger… but the way he handled the situation was bad and didn’t help firearm community.

12 Likes

This news story recounts a shooting in Wood River, IL, which is part of the Alton, IL metro area, just a few miles north of East St. Louis. The Alton area has crime stats that grant it a D- or F rating.

2 Likes

Any piece of human excrement that beats up a woman deserves to get his just desserts. But that doesn’t mean it’s the place of a father to shoot the guy. Vigilante justice is not ok.

I imagine the dad will face charges. Regrettable.

7 Likes

I’m sorry, I would probably have lost it also, beating up my daughter? Nope he gonna feel some pain ! Then call my lawyer and post bail, I dont know if I d have shot him cause I dont know all the circumstances ?

1 Like

I am a little confused it sounds like the dad shot the guy twice because the neighbor said he heard 1 shot came out and saw the dad standing over the guy and shoot him again. So maybe the guy shot the father after a fight and the dad knocked him down and than shot him either way the dads is in some trouble because the neighbor said her heard the guy ask the dad not to shoot him so it would be like surrendering or running away. If the guy shot the dad first it will be self defense but a civil suit is coming.

It sounds like they both have a gun, it’s possible, as the aggressor chasing after and attacking him, you could be legally shot in justified self defense at some point there. You might literally get legally killed in self defense, now your daughter is beat up and you are dead and she never gets to see you again.

This is why we have to think before we act and not let raw emotion take over

We chide anti gunners for using emotion and not logic/facts when knee jerk reactions cause them to want to ban guns after a shooting, right?

4 Likes

As a father, I can’t honestly say I would have done anything differently. Vigilante justice should not be a part of our modern society, but the courts have become increasingly remiss in treatment of criminals, so sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.

as I said I dont know all the circumstances sp its hard to make a judgement written in stone??

Worse than vigilantism, this creates an opening for a parallel authority and justice system - centered around the local mob boss, or Sharia law.

4 Likes

We’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse!

1 Like

I don’t know what I would have done. We don’t have all of the facts and only part of the story.

But I have a bit of pragmatism in me too. Me doing something that takes me out of my child’s life forever because I’m in jail may “solve” one problem, but it creates another. Besides, how can I ever keep her safe again if I’m behind bars for the rest of her life?

3 Likes

I invoke the fifth. :rage:

He should have taken her to the ER and let them report it to the police. Then get a restraining order. Then if you have to shoot him, you have the paperwork to make your lawyer’s job easier.

2 Likes

I understand the father wanting to do it, but he hunted him down and didn’t call the police. Hunting him down is what will get him convicted. I don’t even think he could get off if the other guy shot him first.