Dad shoots daughter

Utterly tragic!

6 Likes

Not the first time. About 5 years ago, similar case, a dad shooting his son who came home late and mistaken for an intruder.

Tragic but preventable.

5 Likes

A deputy killed his daughter in their garage late at night a number of years ago, too, in VA. Similar circumstances, daughter was trying to sneak back in, father did not identify the intruder. Horrible all around. Even worse was reading some of the comments on that story.

3 Likes

Yes this is tragic. Can also be prevented. Situational awareness. A phone call from the daughter saying I’m on my way and will enter via the garage. Planning ahead for these types of situations would have prevented this. I pray for this family.

8 Likes

What part of “be sure of your target” did they not understand?

It’s very tragic what happened but as has been mentioned, what I think makes it even more heart-breaking was it could have been prevented.

8 Likes

This is why I named my Ruger “Oh S**T!”

I’m not going to go after intruders, burglars, rock throwers with a gun. But if they get me into a “Oh S**T” scenario where I have no other choice, that’s another thing. Me personally, I would not fire at an intruder who is otherwise not threatening my person. Call 911, lock the door, and keep gun pointed at said door.

8 Likes

Probably out past curfew, trying to sneak back in so parents wouldn’t catch her.

Preventable tragedy.

Not identifying target by Father.
Daughter somewhere she shouldn’t have been.

Jesus Wept.

8 Likes

Reading internet comments will destroy one’s faith in humanity.

8 Likes

R and I talked about this case tonight over dinner, Sad Sad stuff, I’m not sure I could live with myself. Having raised 5 boys to manhood, I can tell you, not only did my sons sneak in and out their buddies snuck in and out as well. I’d meet them on the landing or outside of the garage and scare the crap out of them, it actually turned into a pretty funny game after a while.

2 Likes

Except here, where rational thoughts are the norm, regarding firearm safety. Shooting without knowing the target is massively stupid. I can’t imagine the mental torture this man must have for disregarding a basic tenet of firearm safety; a lesson learned by the most horrific method.

3 Likes

Yes exactly but, that would be detrimental to sneaking in.

Agreed, a tragic and negligent shooting.

Rule #4.

3 Likes

Agreed. But I’m going to go soft on this guy because this is one of my biggest fears. We all know that feeling when you’re awakened from your sleep. Your brain isn’t completely on. You might not have full situational awareness or think clearly. If I thought a prowler was in my house, I hope the adrenaline would kick in to fix that problem. But we never know until it happens.

And there’s nothing we can do to punish this guy more, based on what he’s already lost.

3 Likes

That is awful, can’t imagine the pain him and the family are in right now.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be able to live with myself. His life may be ruined. How awful.

2 Likes

Just tragic! I know that I would be devastated if I ever had to take a human life - even in self defense. I cannot even begin to fathom how I would be able to manage taking my child’s life.

2 Likes

That is a key factor, identify your target! Know what you are shooting at! I have heard so many stories of this type, Husband accidently shoots wife when she surprises him when he is checking out a noise in the house then she comes out to check on him. He is startled and shoots her! This is why we need to train, not just to shoot but identify your target and background then properly shoot!

4 Likes

Assuming one has any of that sort of faith left. :unamused:

3 Likes

Identify the target or DO NOT fire. That rule has been around since muzzle loaders.

1 Like

Never clear your house alone! You have little chance if there is an intruder and he has murderous intentions. He gets to pick the place and time. And that assumes there is only one intruder!
This is what cops are for.

Now, you have children in one area and you and spouse are in a different area. Whole different dynamic! My spouse and I, both armed, are going to the children where we will hole up. If the intruder(s) come to us, bad mistake!

2 Likes