I first posted this in the "Ask an Attorney" area but never received an answer. Can I place loaded weapon in an under-the-dash mount?

I live in California. Have CCW. Can I place loaded weapon in an under-the-dash mount? While I am in the vehicle of course.

I asked an instructor this question, and he told me you have to keep weapon on your person. Is this true?

3 Likes

NEED ANSWERS NOW?

There’s a lot of information here, so our Customer Engagement Team is always ready to help:
Click to chat with someone on our team now.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ca-gun-laws/

4 Likes

@GumballPro You asked an instructor and told you that the GUN (weapon??!) be kept on your person, and you stated you have a CCW. Living in California, NO I would NOT recommend placing a loaded GUN (weapon??!) in an under-the-dash mount. If sitting in your vehicle driving with your concealed EDC on your person whether you carry AIWB or IWB, and if it is uncomfortable, consider a concealable chest holster or shoulder holster. Otherwise, the gun, if not on your person in the vehicle, it must be locked in the TRUNK or in a LOCKED container in the vehicle UNLOADED, and not in the glove box nor the center console, ammo separate, NOT with the gun, whatever Cal law is for transporting a gun in a vehicle is. This law pertains to legally persons who can possess a firearm to transport in a vehicle without a CCW. A CCW gives you that advantage “LOCKED AND LOADED ON YOUR PERSON” inside a vehicle ready for any defensive situation.

2 Likes

Just so you are aware, the “Ask an Attorney” thread was put in place to get topics for the “Ask an Attorney” series with Tom Grieve. https://academy.usconcealedcarry.com/videos/ask-an-attorney/b9700707-5b4e-4043-a331-698fedf7feaa

3 Likes

The answer to your question will vary from state to state, and in some states may vary between jurisdictions. Might be best to consult with an experienced 2A attorney in your state.

2 Likes

i agree with you on this one. The laws are crazy. And there is no amount of money that they could pay me to live there. I have a Aunt that is trapped, can’t sell her house & can’t move out of state.

2 Likes

Would be great if anyone, like a real attorney could answer this question.

1 Like

Then call one. We don’t have any from your state that comes on the Community and gives freely of his or her time. :man_shrugging:
I gave you the information to find it. I’m not going to call for you. :thinking:

1 Like

Chill Bruce.

1 Like

As I’m sure someone has already told you, check your state laws as it varies from state to state. KY law says, unless it’s been changed recently, you can only store a gun in a manufacturer installed compartment.