California Truck Storage Question (CCW Owner)

Question for the attorneys about storing in the car.

1. Are we able to store a CCW firearm in the car loaded in a locked box? (I am wondering because if I have to leave it in the car to go into a place that I am not able to carry)
  2. Is using a safe like Lifepod with a cable attached to the base of the seat considered fixed?
  3. While in the car can the CCW firearm be off the body such as loaded in the
  • a) back seat,
  • b) in a backpack in the back seat (loaded),
  • or with a c)gun magnet under the steering wheel?

Not an Attorney or from Cali but I can tell you the FEDERAL laws restrict firearms in storage containers to be locked and unloaded with the ammo in a separate compartment if possible DURING transportation. Pickups make that difficult depending on the configuration.

As to once the vehicle is parked it pretty much comes down to the crap shoot of laws in CA and how they can be interpreted or how they mutually cancel each other out and contradict each other. I would imagine that most of your questions can be answered via your local 2A folks who have knowledge of the local rules.

Cheers,

Craig6

@MikeBKY Any feedback?

I really wish I could a good answer some of these questions for you @Jason143. Unfortunately, my answers are I do not know or I do not think so.
As for your questions
1, I do not think so. I think it needs to be unloaded;
2, it looks like the lifepod fits their description;
3. I don’t know. In a normal state, I would say yes. In CA, I have no idea.

What I can say is it would all be fine in Kentucky!

Here is the link to the info below: https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/pdf/cfl2016.pdf

Here is some additional info:

California Penal Code section 25400 does not prohibit a citizen of the United
States over 18 years of age who is in lawful possession of a handgun, and who
resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting the handgun by motor
vehicle provided it is unloaded and stored in a locked container . (Pen . Code,
§ 25610 .)
The term “locked container” means a secure container which is fully enclosed
and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device .
This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or
glove compartment . (Pen . Code, § 16850 .)
It is illegal for any person to carry a handgun concealed upon his or her person
or concealed in a vehicle without a license issued pursuant to Penal Code section
26150 . (Pen . Code, § 25400 .) A firearm locked in a motor vehicle’s trunk or in a
locked container carried in the vehicle other than in the utility or glove compartment is not considered concealed within the meaning of the Penal Code section
25400; neither is a firearm carried within a locked container directly to or from a
motor vehicle for any lawful purpose . (Pen . Code, § 25610 .)
The prohibition from carrying a concealed handgun does not apply to licensed
hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or
returning from the hunting expedition . (Pen . Code, § 25640 .) Notwithstanding
this exception for hunters or fishermen, these individuals may not carry or
transport loaded firearms when going to or from the expedition . The unloaded
firearms should be transported in the trunk of the vehicle or in a locked container
other than the utility or glove compartment . (Pen . Code, § 25610 .)
There are also occupational exceptions to the prohibition from carrying a
concealed weapon, including authorized employees while engaged in specified
activities . (Pen . Code, §§ 25630, 25640 .)

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I am also asking the deputy about this and will post my answers for us CA captives.

1 Like

State of arkansas for gun laws and ccw.:us:

not so sure asking a deputy is the thing to do…

often as not LEO’s have problems figuring out what the state laws of Kali are and mean…

and what ones tells you may get in trouble with another one… heard that happens there…

a 2nd amendment attorney that lives and works IN KALI might be the best route???

Kali is a real mess with the anti-second amendment laws they got… heard judges can even have issues…

The deputy is the one who works providing CCW’s. She said to email her with questions that she can ask at her course.

If I can get an email from her saying it is OK and then confirm with an attorney I may have a good shot.

Not sure what you hear but I have never heard anything from anyone about judges having issues.

was some time back… I USED to live in KALI… was born there…

saw what was coming… and departed… sadly too many are following but still voting for same crowd…

paid attention was a few years back but a judge said HUH? WTF??? how do I do this with this???

while trying to deal with one of those poorly written laws… later the law got rewritten…

I suggest you all avoid the west coast…

some things are going to happen there that few will care for…

the antifa blm stuff going on there now is just a forewarning…

but then that is probably going to be the case in many areas of this nation…

perhaps all of it… try to locate yourself with like minded people… that should help…

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ca-gun-laws/