I can’t carry concealed at work but don’t want to sacrifice my self defense tools. What can I do?

I’m interviewing for a new job that I expect to receive an offer for shortly. However I may be in a pickle. The new office (once stay-at-home orders lift) is located in a federal reserve building where firearms are obviously not allowed and they have metal detectors. I don’t want to sacrifice my ability to have self defense tools during my commute.

The obvious answer is get a quality safe for my vehicle, but that’s the catch. I don’t have a vehicle and will commute to work on public transport or ride my electric scooter. So how can I have self defense tools during my commute yet not take them on my person into the office?

I could “risk it” every day but that’s not a great option in my opinion. Also, I’m more concerned about something happening during the commute, not while I’m behind armed security at the federal reserve.

Ideas and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Find a different employer. No one is forcing you to work where you cannot carry. It known as “At Will” here in Texas.

4 Likes

That’s an easy and obvious answer but I’m looking for outside the box ideas.

1 Like

Willfully break the law? But that will just put you “inside a box” eventually.
There, we have covered every possible answer known to man. No charge.

3 Likes

Few things I can think of is to pass it off to a trusted friend at a neighboring office (whom I have) but the scheduling could be off. I could bury it or hide it in a safe somewhere in the proximity. I could speak with the security at the federal reserve and see if they would let me check-in my firearm with them. I can see if there’s a way to attach a locking safe to my scooter that doesn’t look like a safe.

There’s multiple options here and I’m asking the community for additional ideas. Thanks for your help

1 Like

The ones you mention above seem to be a pretty exhaustive list. I have nothing to add… except everything you listed would be incredibly unwise.
Good luck.

2 Likes

Have you asked or expressed your Concern with your employer ?

2 Likes

I think this would be your best option, once you have the offer in hand and have accepted it, although I would wait a bit to go through employment documentation to see if they may already have some type of option. If not, THEN simply ask the head of security what they would recommend.

Please do not rely on hiding it somewhere and do not try to conceal it on-site. We all know what would happen with a felony on your record.

I wish you much luck and hope a satisfactory solution presents itself.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family Andrew

1 Like

How about a different weapon? Something you could carry with you into work?

Edited for clarification:
Let me clarify - I’m not suggesting carrying anything illegal! There are other items you can carry for your self-defense that people might not consider weapons or be covered under your location’s weapon restriction.

There are multiple ways to defend yourself with and without any sort of weapon. Learning self-defense tactics and how to utilize weapons of opportunity could be your best bet.

5 Likes

Get a good knife.

2 Likes

Andrew86, welcome to the fold.
I would like to suggest that a conversation with your Boss/Security and propose that a secure locker system be reviewed and installed if possible. When I go to the AirForce Base here in Arkansas my weapon is retained at the check in/security area and I have the only key. The key is given to you and it is your responsiblity. The weapon is retrived as you leave the base.
Do Not try to hide the weapon just to carry in the office. I am sure you are not the only person that has a weapon, but you could be the person that makes having the weapon safer.

Good Luck, enjoy your new job.

Larry

4 Likes

Buy a car. Install a safe. Drive to work.

3 Likes

Purchasing a vehicle and parking at work isn’t an option for me. As I said in my original post, this would be a great option. Thanks though!

2 Likes

Not yet. I haven’t gotten a feel on how they would react to this.

1 Like

This is good advice and I think probably the best option. Thanks Larry!

1 Like

Got one! Still can’t take it into the Federal Reserve past a metal detector.

2 Likes

There are metal detectors. So it would have to be concealed and I’d rather not get caught and potentially impact my employment.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks Fish! I believe this to be the best option as well. I don’t think I would seriously find a hidey hole to put it in. That seems ridiculous. More of a thought exercise.

1 Like