I can’t carry concealed at work but don’t want to sacrifice my self defense tools. What can I do?

You may be sol. Any attempt to sneak something in, or fabricate a weapon to get past security would probably end in charges, I’d think. For example, you could get a plastic gasket scraper and make a knife, but you still end up with a weapon in a federal building.

3 Likes

Yeah I mean there’s these tools: https://www.osograndeknives.com/catalog/fixed-blade-non-detectable-knives-32-1.html

But I definitely don’t want to be caught and charged with a crime.

4 Likes

I would do a little research first thing. There could even be a lawyer that could share an opinion on the matter…if only one could be found. :thinking: @MikeBKY

4 Likes

A good ball point pen is a self defense tool and allowed everywhere. It unfortunately is Close Quarters Combat…

As for the job? Perhaps you should consider another job. Or purchase a car.

2 Likes

I formerly worked for the Intelligence Community, and entering federal buildings was not that big of a deal… we could carry pocket knives or some other forms of knives, though that was a long time ago.

Not sure about a Federal Reserve. You could make sure you have a ball point pen, a good one with a metal barrel. Tactical pens tend to stand out, but I have never seen a ball point pen like a Zebra prohibited.

Why is purchasing a car and parking at work, not an option.

1 Like

Federal buildings are especially difficult. Even as a deputy sheriff, while I could carry into the federal courthouse, I was disarmed at the door and placed weapons in a lockbox as @larry84 mentioned.
You do not want to carry anything in that will get you fired because it will also likely get you arrested.
You should discuss your dilemma with security, however, I do not expect that they will be very helpful. Your best bet may be a nearby friend with a location where it can be kept. Or a close bank with extended hours where you could possibly put it in a safe deposit box.

3 Likes

Perhaps make a “secret compartment” in one of these?
09f3dbe8aa4ab46fc3c045a5c8009731

3 Likes

Do NOT carry into a Federal building, or you “will” wind up in another, with bars! Sorry, that’s the hard fact. You do not want a federal weapons charge for going to work. I used to have to go into DC regularly as a gov’t employee. No weapons, ever. I carried a nice, hard sided (rigid) briefcase, with the thought that it’d be a club of sorts. You “might” get away with a walking stick or a small flashlight with a bevel, but that’s about it…

4 Likes

Ball point pen… always a good choice and easy to carry…

A walking stick or a cane is also good, but make sure if it is a sword cane, it is legal in the state.

DC was always fun… circles, one way streets, K street… Embassy row…

Actually, I do not miss it one bit.

2 Likes

Just my thoughts…

What is the crime rate in the areas of your route. Does it change with the seasons? Is there a police station on the route? Are there multiple route options to choose from? Does the route have easy access to exit along the way if dangers present themselves?

Are you familiar with the community and the area? Can you recognize danger signs related to potential violence? Is there a way, i.e.news, to check for random issues on your route? Do you wear protective gear while on your scooter? Do you carry a large bike lock for your scooter? Are certain times and routes via public transportation safer than others?

Other options might be pepper spray, training, and/or even a good, comfortable pair of running shoes for the trip.

I like traveling, and the inability to carry in some areas won’t stop me from going if a good risk assessment presents options for safety that meet my requirements. There is always risk. The best you can do is try to figure out what risks are most likely, consider your options to circumnavigate those risks, and of course, if the potential for those risks to materialize is too high, choose a different job/location/activity.

5 Likes

Let me clarify - I’m not suggesting carrying anything illegal! There are other items you can carry for your self-defense that people might not consider weapons or be covered under your locations weapon restriction.

There are multiple ways to defend yourself with and without any sort of weapon. Learning self-defense tactics and how to utilize weapons of opportunity could be your best bet.

Sorry for any confusion! I did NOT mean to imply breaking any laws!

4 Likes

@Andrew86
Something you may want to check out is a book called “The secret art of pressure point fighting” it is really good read! Complete with pictures/diagrams. Will require training, though.

2 Likes

Thanks @Dawn and @Proverbs31.10-31. I’ll check out alternative tools. I also have a black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do and I’m 6’2” and 250 lbs with big muscles so hopefully that’s a deterrent too.

5 Likes

These are excellent things to think about @Scotty. Thanks for the food for thought.

2 Likes

@Andrew86
You are welcome! Although my preferred style is shotokan (With add in tactics I learned on my own) tae-kwon-do has some very interesting kicks!

2 Likes