How will a war in Europe affect you?

Prediction: The Olympics will be as eventful as Tokyo

Putin has invaded his neighbors twice that I have heard about. Heā€™s being more cautious than Hitler was, but heā€™s doing the same things with the same justifications.

1 Like

@Ouade5 you understand this is different from any and all prior wars. There is only 1 country on the globe that presents existential threat to the US, and we are trying to get into hot mess on its borders. Even Cuban Missile Crisis did not have a hot war in the background.

From what I read, Stalin and Hitler were both planning an attack on each other, with global conquest after that. One would hope, MAD doctrine discourages such shenanigans, because a nuclear superpower will not have a mental defective at the helm.

1 Like

California?

10 Likes

I agree, and what get to me, putting our forces over there & could care less about our borders.

3 Likes

8,500 Troops are being sent to Ukraine.

2 Likes

But weā€™re stil open for business from Mexico!

3 Likes

No, to Germany, Poland and Romania. Empty gesture.

But suppose they were going to Ukraine. Suppose Putin shoots down the cargo planes. What comes next?

1 Like

Iā€™ve wondered that, too.
If we knew war was inevitable, it would be better to have our forces in place inside Ukraine, defending the land space instead of trying to take it back from the Russians.
Placing them outside Ukraine seems to signal that we might react, but we donā€™t want to commit.

1 Like

There are lots of good points and opinions here. Some, kinda out there but everyone does their own research and final analysis.

But, to the OP.
I canā€™t see that a war in Europe would affect me/us that much.
Per the question in the post, ā€œHow will you prepareā€

We implemented our final stage and prepping plan this past July. So, the world could end around us and it really wouldnā€™t make an impact on us. I guess other than not being able to chat with you folks here which I do greatly enjoy every morning.

For those of you who are not fully Prepared, #1 Create a plan, #2 Partition and prioritize your plan, #3 Start working on this plan even if itā€™s the little things you can start checking off.

Iā€™ve helped a bunch of folks by working on #1 and #2 with them, and enjoy helping people with their own unique situations. Iā€™m always happy to be PMā€™d or to help here.

PS I canā€™t help you with #3 above. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The scholarly consensus is that the Rusā€™ people originated in what is currently coastal, eastern, Sweden around the eighth century. The modern nations of Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine all claim Kievan Rusā€™ as their cultural ancestors, with Belarus and Russia deriving their names from it. All according to Wikipedia. I know, bacause Iā€™m a Swede! LOL

1 Like

The balloon going up would be the worse case scenario, but that doesnā€™t seem likely.
I think what weā€™ll have to deal with is even more inflation, potentially more supply chain shortages due to greater demand for energy from our NATO allies, and higher taxes. I could also imagine that the production of military calibers would be prioritized and assumed by various military programs if the defense of the Ukraine is a long drawn out one. Also, and probably more troublesome is Russian Hackers creating mischief with our infrastructure in retaliation for NATO standing firm and US sanctions against Putin,

1 Like

very unlikely

very likely. BTW there is a mention on Reddit of Russian Naval maneuvers in the coming days in the North Atlantic, above 4 important transatlantic communication cables.

2 Likes

The latest response from Washington is downright bizarre.
No, itā€™s stupid. Murderously stupid and on so many levels.
From what Iā€™ve gleaned from the newsā€”
The scenario envisioned by the Administration has Kyiv taken blitzkrieg style suffering huge civilian casualties
US Forces deployed to bordering NATO countries are there for a show of solidarity to encourage (encourage?) Putin to limit his incursion to The Ukraine, however
light infantry isnā€™t a match against heavy armor, which is what Putin has in theater, so what are we there for?

I donā€™t claim to be an expert on strategy, but even as a onetime lowly 92A I could see the folly of giving up Bagram as a secure evacuation point in Afghanistan and the current military strategies sound equally absurd.

It is also possible that Washington is trying to surrender Ukraine to Putin, while maintaining appearances. The military measures do not make sense. The narrative that Russia is trying to take Ukraine by massive invasion force, with potential massive civilian casualties does not make sense either, likely is a pure fabrication (I am shocked!).

Certainly a possibility. Anything is a possibility.

Realistically, our current approach is the most likely to result in a war.

Historically, taking a hard, credible stand against Russia has been the most likely to deter them from war. At least twice, the Soviet Union was deterred from attacking our allies by the US credibly threatening war.

Also, Russia is not currently planning to actually invade from what I hear. They have not mobilized the large-scale medical corps required (as of what I heard a week ago. This could have changed). Russia is hoping to threaten and saber-rattle their way into conquest by diplomatic fiat.

This is the time to take a hard line and let Russia know that there WILL be war with NATO if they take an inch more of Ukranian land. This is the way most likely to result in not a war.

It seems like weā€™re ready to give up Ukraine, so long as Russia stops there. If we were serious about defending Ukraine, weā€™d be in Ukraine, preparing defenses. Iā€™d much rather defend a hill than try to take it from someone else, especially a peer adversary.

Longer term, I guess the question is whether Putin will stop at Ukraine? Appeasement doesnā€™t have the best track record. Will Putin be encouraged to take more territories? Will other powerful nations decide this is the time to subject their neighbors? If I lived in Taiwan, Iā€™d be especially nervous.

I just donā€™t believe the ā€œPutin is going to take over Europeā€ narrative. Why would he personally be interested, and how would Russia benefit. No answer.

Now the risk of the invasion of Taiwan is the real one, with long prior history, and serious implications for the US.

Taiwan is the major supplier of computer chips. A prize in deed for the PRC.
Hang on to your Model A Fords, Lads!