How often do you clean you gun

Wait, what? You have to clean your firearms? They’ll just get dirty again. :wink:

4 Likes

Thanks Jerzy - Still a little nervous so everything gets oiled down ?

1 Like

Hey man like the guy in the stands said in THE LONGEST YARD “You Can Do It”

If you go with dishwasher option - YES, YES, YES - plenty of oil :joy:

But seriously - every part treated with gun cleaner MUST be oiled down. Doesn’t need to be greasy, but put a thin coat. (I usually spay everything with Ballistol, stroke every part with my fingers and wipe it off). This is for material protection.
All moving parts - just a little touch of thick oil (or liquid grease) just before assembly.

1 Like

@Gary_H I mentioned once that I was going to pick up another pistol. My daughter had been wanting a firearm (her first) and asked if she could have my “extra” one. Extra? What are you talking about, extra? There’s no such thing as an “extra” gun. She bought her own and says she understands now!

2 Likes

Ok I broke down completely the lower frame of my gun for the first time - it was a nerve reckoning experience - but I did it - I was totally surprise how much dirt accumulated in there - next step is the slide - I hope that goes better

2 Likes

You’ll get it done brother keep the faith and that guns gonna look like you just pulled it out the box brand new.:+1::+1:

Congrats ! Slide will be easier…
:+1: now you know for sure why complete break down is needed… :wink:

2 Likes

I haven’t tried that yet. I do a basic breakdown. I might try that when I have extra baggies to put the parts in while I get help from a gunsmith. I guess someday I’ll need to tackle that. :laughing: (man I hate auto correct. Never know what’s going to go out there.)

1 Like

Plenty of you tube videos always look easier I am sure practice I will make it look easy too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think how clean you want your guns is up to the owner. I know people that clean there’s every 100 rounds and I know people that clean them every 1000 rounds. Me personally, I clean them Everytime I get done shooting. I don’t want my gun to malfunction in the time off need all because I was to lazy to clean it.

1 Like

After each range trip if it’s one of my surplus rifles. Depends on the new guns, but they mostly go several trips to the range between cleanings. Carry guns get wiped down and cleaned of lint every couple of months.

1 Like

After every shoot, and edc gets wiped down and lubed every 3-4 weeks due to humidity and sweat salts, from contact in my iwb holster

2 Likes

My carry guns get a thorough cleaning after every range session. and wiped down every evening.
That’s how my father taught me, so that’s what I do.

2 Likes

Some of my ammo has been aging over past several months. Could be the humidity.

Found some surface growth of green-blue patina on the casings, especially on the hard to see area directly all around under the rear rim, shaded by the back of the casing. With a paper towel, I pinched, squeezed, spun, and was able twist/wipe, and wallah, more green smudge ended up on my towel.

Neat article about firearm cleaning:

1 Like

Other than wiping them off after a range day like Field strip and clean every 4 to 500 rounds. Long-term storage I inspect once a month, Wipe them down with an oil rag, make sure the dehumidifier is charged.

3 Likes

I think cleaning every 4 rds might be too much… oh… unless you shoot Glocks. :smiling_imp: :crazy_face: :wink:

5 Likes

I know a guy from Austria, cleans them for free🤣

2 Likes

After shooting it. When I shoot its usually more than 4 rounds: us:

2 Likes

oh Man Jerzy ragging on glock lol your the sig guy right lol

3 Likes