How often do you clean you gun

I generally try to clean them after every time i take them out. Whatever I shoot I clean. The more rounds I put down range the more I put into cleaning it. But honestly I have seen weapons fire even if they don’t get cleaned to well

2 Likes

They typically get cleaned before going back in the safe, except rimfires. They might go a couple trips without getting cleaned. My CC guns get cleaned after they are shot and before they are carried again, and once a week, I will take them wipe them off and make sure they are lubed and ready to go.

2 Likes

Every time I use it - currently 1x a week

I enjoy it

2 Likes

Do any of you use bore snakes to give your gun a quick clean? What are your opinions on using them?

4 Likes

I have used bore snakes and it takes less passes to clean the barrel than if you used a patch with the brush or bore extender.

2 Likes

I like bore snakes on the odd happening that I muzzle punch the ground or more likely that I get rained on. On my long guns I do NOT clean the bore until accuracy falls off but after a year in the safe for my hunting rifles I am continually amazed at the amount of crap that finds it’s way into a bore. I’ll drag a bore snake through and fire a round into the dirt and know that I am right where I left it.

In general unless they are blued and there has been a circumstance that causes me concern for the finish I don’t clean my guns, I run them dirty untillI notice a degradation of performance. Then they are cleaned back to new glory and I shoot the crap out of them to make sure they still work and repeat. On any 22LR I clean the crap out of the action.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

+1 for boresnakes…that and a toothbrush, a few q-tips, pipe cleaners, some hoppes #9 and gun oil. Works just fine and easy to pack around. :+1:

3 Likes

Yeah, I was at the range, as a guest at the time (and didn’t own a gun yet) and he let me try several hand guns. One of those was a Glock (darn, forget which one) and I was excited to try it. But a few times firing I had a malfunction where it only clicked when it should have gone bang. I was surprised after the first time, even more so after the third or fourth. He says, “Well, I haven’t cleaned it since it was new; hmm…” What???
Honestly, I was a little miffed. Could that have been a safety issue!? Certainly wouldn’t trust my life to that one. Hope he cleaned it it that night!

IIRC, it wasn’t that new anymore, something like 8 years old. And, who knows how many rounds he put through it, either.

If I try someone’s gun, should I ask when the last time it was cleaned? :wink:

2 Likes

I mean shoot wouldnt hurt so you know what to expect when shooting haha

1 Like

I am about to do my first deep clean complete breakdown - I have watch many videos but still nervous

2 Likes

I try to clean them every other month even if I don’t use them. I like cleaning my guns. You will do an awesome job.

1 Like

@DavidM58:crossed_fingers:
I mentioned it last year… my first full reassembly took me 4 hours. I was happy that all parts found their original places. :wink:
Since then deep cleaning takes me 30-40 minutes.
First time is always nervous.

2 Likes

You do a deep clean a breakdown every other month ?

1 Like

Jerzy did you do top and bottom separately ? Also what have you used to clean the bottom parts

1 Like

Every…single…time. Plus a quick field strip and wipe down with Clenzoil every 3 months even if they sat in the safe the entire time.

1 Like

@DavidM58, what model are you gonna to breakdown?
And… do you mean: top - SLIDE, bottom - FRAME?

1 Like

No just a field strip and cleaning because even in a safe not being used they gather dust particles.

1 Like

Sorry Glock 43 and yes top slide and bottom frame

I do a Basic clean after every use 150/200 rounds - which is roughly 1x week but I am at the 5000 round usage in 4 months and I would like to do a completed breakdown and clean - I heard / read someone using dove dishwashing to do a detail clean

2 Likes

All together, but if this is your first time I recommend to start with slide. Count every piece, group them: barrel with recoil spring, striker with spring, slide with back plate and extractor. The same with frame and mags.
This way you will have idea how to put it back.
Frame has more parts, and few are very small, so be careful, especially with springs.

Once I have it apart I use regular gun cleaner (Hoppes Elite) and blue paper towel.
Barrel has special treatment with Hoppes bore cleaner (30 min).
When all is clean I keep it for 10 min intact to be sure all is dry, then I spray everything with Ballistol and wipe it off (never leave any parts unoiled after gun cleaner).
During putting parts back I use drop of thick oil or liquid grease on moving parts (pins, trigger bar, etc)
Most important: striker and striker channel run dry. Once you put film of oil - wipe it off really good, don’t leave visible oil there.
Regarding solvents - all I use don’t harm metal, alu nor polymer. Some of them may destroy fiber on sights (I don’t use fiber sights).
Once my handgun is back together again I put coat of Eezox oil and wipe it off with microfiber cloth. It gives amaizing result - firearm looks like new and prevents from fingertip marks.

Good luck!

2 Likes

With Glock everything is possible.
It can be done, but you have to be sure there’s no water anywhere and somehow you need to lube it again.

1 Like