How many think a first time gun owner should get a Glock

Aside from the trigger needing to be pulled for disassembly (which I agree is not the best design), I personally don’t see a whole lot of difference between my Glock and the other striker fired pistols I own. Reading the instruction manual and following the four basic safety rules (that should be stressed in any basic class) will allow people to safely handle a Glock. Anyone who can’t consistently remember to follow the four rules and clear their weapon before disassembling is going to have a problem sooner or latter regardless of make, model and safety features.

2 Likes

I’m not following the specific safety devices. Trigger pulled, fires. Trigger not pulled, it doesn’t. It seems the same as a double action only revolver or any other hammer fired DAO to me in terms of what the user needs to know. And the same as most of the other striker fired poly pistols out there (which is most these days)

I propose that not clearing the chambered round and removing the magazine is not at all a Glock issue, there isn’t any difference really in clearing the chamber and removing the magazine in a Glock vs basically every other gun, and absolutely should be covered in all beginner/first steps/etc classes. IF it’s not, I propose that is a poor class.

I get that having to pull the trigger to field strip is not the best process, but, follow the four rules and as you should always do before field stripping anything, remove the chambered round and remove the mag, this should be covered in any basic class, as well as safe direction especially when pulling the trigger

How to field strip it is covered in the owner’s manual, and Glock isn’t the only one that requires pulling the trigger to field strip BTW

4 Likes

One addition, If they do decide on a Glock do not choose a 20.

Nope… Bob Marvel is. :wink:

But seriously… Each manufacturer has it’s own security features and functionality methods.
Even the main ideas are the same, details are different. But it doesn’t mean one firearm is better for new shooter than another.
The rule is simple:
“Know your firearm and be comfortable with it before you start using it.”

Glock or not, multiple safeties or single safety, pull the trigger or not to take the slide off… doesn’t matter if you follow the rule above.

1 Like

all true

1 Like

My first pistol was a S&W Sigma-essentially a Glock clone, but heavier trigger pull. Then I got a Ruger P89 traditional DA-long heavy first pull. I carried without any form training for years. However, I put A LOT of rounds through those first two 9mm’s. When I began training, I attribute my success in part to learning on those heavier trigger pulls. I say in part because the instructors were great and I don’t want to diminish that. One instructor said 90% of shooting is in the trigger press.

However, I don’t see why the manufacturer or even type of gun matters for a first time owner. Safety, training, and practice are more important.

3 Likes

Friends don’t let friends buy Glocks….:rofl:. Everybody know Real guns are made of steel and walnut…Toys are made of plastic​:roll_eyes:. (Watch out for the shrapnel from the Glockers​:blush:)

Seriously though I would never start a newbie off with any one of the plastic fantastic striker fired pieces. A nice double action auto or revolver for me to teach with. Let them learn AND know about firearms before you turn ‘em loose half cocked and unlocked.

2 Likes

I would go further: Glocks should be banned :joy:

3 Likes

If you’re not all in about learning about gun safety and a weapons’ functionality, I don’t think starting with steel & walnut will make a hellava lot of difference…

5 Likes

Agree. Relying on a heavy double action trigger seemingly in anticipation of violating Rule #3 is a recipe for disaster and a very bad start to your journey

2 Likes

Some people like to start hard to have easier in the future… so starting with DA/SA or revolver seems for them to be good idea.
I saw few shooters trying to go that way… and they never succeeded.
Instead… the heavy trigger pull and lack of accuracy created aversion.

If new shooter has no idea how to start…let him start with easiest handgun… meaning any Glock-ish tool.
Start easy, make the shooter happy… Hard part can come later. Once the newbie enjoys, the hard part becomes easy.

4 Likes

**jerzy, why do you think Glocks should be banned? I have several Glocks and really like them.

4 Likes

Yup, when you trade your wallet in on a nice 1911😁

2 Likes

Because everybody knows I hate Glocks… and there was :joy: at the end of my statement… meaning I was joking :wink:

4 Likes

Exactly :ok_hand:
But that’s another story behind this. 2011 should be a reward not a first choice. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow. I regret I missed that part. Interesting. I’m comfortable around Glocks, until it’s chambered, then I become overly careful with it. Maybe it’s because to me, their trigger pull weight is light, I’ve found.

Leaning toward those models with thumb safety’s, but that’s just my personal choice. Still won’t sell my Glock, as find it good quality, value, and very accurate.

I’m convinced everyone’s hands are different/unique and that we each are more accurate only with a unique model, we have or yet to try.

Good post topic.

1 Like

Burdo, I agree with you, and thank you for the comment on the topic, I love those Glocks too.

2 Likes

This happens when you make that final car payment.
YES, no more payments! Oh, look, a Staccato!:grin::rofl:

4 Likes

Good financial strategy can open many possibilities. :point_up:

One
A 2023-01-12 23-43-40

equals (roughly)

250 of single person menu
A 2023-01-12 23-38-10

or
250 of
A 2023-01-12 23-41-14

That means, anyone who wants a nice 2011 pistol should be able to save money for it within 1 year by NOT doing things that are not needed for everyday life. :wink:

3 Likes

I actually like starting brand-new-to-guns
people off with a single action .22 LR revolver (Ruger Single 6). Then go to a semi auto .22LR (in my case a Walther P22). Then an actual gun useful for personal defense. Some people I’ve taken to the range were half afraid of the gun-even “tough guy types.” You can introduce them to a lot of firearm fundamentals that way. Then move up.

5 Likes