How many rounds do you carry?

Tool with 16rds + spare mag.
Spare mag is not actually on my body, it’s too much around my belt, but it’s always handy to grab if needed.
Additionally I carry 2 knives - one for defense, other for work. If figured out after few months that I cannot use the same knife for both purposes.
Pepper Gel, bottle opener, small multi tool.
Enough to take care of myself and still I’m still mobile enough to easily do my work.

I suggest some first aid in there. Seems lots of concern about being injured but nothing to deal with injury if it happens. Similar to the police being minutes away when seconds matter as a reason to carry self defense tools, one can easily bleed out before medical care arrives.

2 Likes

Education and training highlighted also I guess.

In that very rare event, if a semi auto jammed, if during the heat of the moment, we re-rack the slide and do not yet clear the malfunction, if our instinct is to drop that mag out or replace it, yes, I can see having that one spare — to make sense.

Great post subject!

1 Like

In a Defensive Mindset course I took, the instructor had a video from a store robbery. The store owner pulled his semi-auto handgun and ended up releasing the magazine before the draw was complete. He had to fumble around on the floor to retrieve it. He was fortunate there was shelving between him and the armed robbers.
The point of the video was things happen very fast and mistakes can easily be made. This was from a real event.

4 Likes

I carry a tourniquet in an “ankle holster” and an IFAK in a back pocket. Good arrangement.

4 Likes

My AIWB holster has a built in mag holder. Makes things simple. No added bulk or trouble.

4 Likes

I’ve got my trauma kit in my car, usually few steps away.
I cannot carry it, that would be too much.

BTW. The first, quick aid kit is always on me.
Belt is my tourniquet, T-shirt is my compression bandage.

2 Likes

Tourniquet holster small and relatively inexpensive (<$20). Literally, I don’t even know it is there.

Pocket first aid kit no larger than my wallet.

5 Likes

As stated above I don’t have the internet to search for videos. They were on DVD. At least two of them were likely from the 3 Seconds from Now DVD series. Though someone with real internet could probably find the videos somewhere on the internet.

3 Likes

If I’m carrying my 44 magnum,6 in the gun three speed loaders of extras.If it’s my 1911 10mm I have 16 in the gun and two extra mags.Since coming off active duty where I took as much as I could with me,I feel either is plenty.If I were back in Kandahar ide carry as much as I could.

6 Likes

Revolver guy here. 5 or 6 in the firearm, 5 or 6 in a speed strip

6 Likes

Exactly, 46. Thats all I have to say.

While getting used to my new pistol, its 15+1 capacity, 31rds presently till i get my mag holder for 46rds of 10mm

2 Likes

how you doingScoutbob?, i carry 10 in my firarm and an extra 10 rd mag… and i was wondreing the same thing, sometimes i think i should have another mag extra, but it sounds like over kill, but then again the criminals do have 30 rd mags you know it. so idk, how many do the rest of you carry? im in corruptifonia also…
Carry Be Safe God Bless…

1 Like

Nathan, I have my CATII, G7 too. But you’re right, they are rarely mentioned.

34+1, for now.
I’m next door to CA so I get a lot of stupid driving through town.

4 Likes

I live next to CA myself and we get alot of them here driving like they are home.

3 Likes

Most of the time, I carry what’s in the gun. Glock 19 = 15+1. S&W Shield = 8+1

My bag has a spare mag, pepper spray, and a trauma kit.

I am contemplating ways to carry an IFAK more frequently. However, my bag is pretty close most of the time.

If I travel away from home (vacation), then a second gun and every spare mag I have come loaded with me. That puts me over 150 rounds.

I agree with many of the posts above that it’s highly unlikely to ever need that spare mag. I also agree with those who suggest there are better uses for space than the spare mag. I always carry a flashlight, bandana and handkerchief. I can improvise a tourniquet with that. I also carry an old card wrapped in gorilla tape. That can improvise a cheat seal. I can use that same stuff for a pressure dressing or to pack a wound. That stuff barely takes up any space.

Personally, I think medical gear is as important as the firearm. I’ve had a potentially deadly bleeding event in my life before the days of tourniquets. Blood squirting 6 + inches out of the wound with my heartbeat.

3 Likes

I use a purpose-built ankle “holster” (elastic strap) for my tourniquet. Handily available and unobtrusive. The make larger ones that hold more, but trouser legs hang up on them most of the time.

1 Like

All great points. I live in Chicago, I don’t want to get caught in a shoot out in an alley way with just one mag. I have to get myself and my wife to cover against possibly 2-3 shooters. Even a car jacking have multiple shooters now. One extra mag is ok but I’m looking at carrying 2 extra mags for some areas.
I always look ahead for safety but trouble can come for anywhere here in Chicago.
I do my best to stay away from know bad areas but the bad guys are expanding there areas now.
I don’t carry extra mags normally, I live way North Chicago

3 Likes