How Many Guns Does A Normal Person Have?

You’ve probably heard this one before:

“How many guns does a normal person have?”

“About five.”

“That sounds like a gun enthusiast to me.”

“No, a gun enthusiast has fifteen.”

“That sounds like someone obsessed with guns.”

“No, people obsessed with guns have hundreds.”

“That sounds like a psycho.”

“No, psychos seldom own guns, or maybe have one or two.”

“But that sounds like a normal person though.”

“No, a normal person has about five. We already covered that.”

I was at a weekly wrap up with some co-workers before the Thanksgiving weekend, just shooting the breeze, when the subject of guns came up.

“I’m so glad Ron quit,” one woman said.
“I know,” said another colleague. “Did you know he has more than like 25 guns?!”
“Who needs more than one gun?” the first woman asked. “Who even needs A gun??”

And I’m just sitting there, looking at my gun database on my iPhone, counting my current inventory, and keeping my oh-I-so-want-to-tell-you mouth zipped shut, as I imagine their jaws dropping to the floor to learn that there’s a CCW right under their noses. :roll_eyes:

28 Likes

“He once told me they are tools, like saws. Different kinds for different things. I don’t know how many different kinds of guns there are but I would have to stop and count how many saws I have so maybe it’s like that?”

20 Likes

@Alces_Americanus Great listening to the women’s conversations, and the temptation to join in BUT it’s ALWAYS BEST TO BE SILENT :shushing_face:, and be the GREY MAN! :dotted_line_face: UNSUSPECTED. :innocent:

19 Likes

As I indeed was.

13 Likes

I guess I would be an “obsessed gun enthusiast” then. :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Who needs more than one pair of shoes?

27 Likes

Oh! I like that!

16 Likes

You cannot use a 30.06 to shoot ducks and you cannot use a shotgun to shoot an elk. Then you cannot conceal a 30-30 but you can conceal a 9mm. A 22 is good for small critters but not good to try to stop a bear. So at least five guns needed for these factors. That is not even to start the list of guns that are fun to shoot or guns that you just want!

24 Likes

Folks like to collect all sorts of things, sometimes it makes me laugh. Why would anyone try to figure it out? Just beyond me…

7 Likes

I wont say how many i have but where ever i am in the house there is a weapon ready to go or enough to equip a small group and most of mine are built from the ground up with 80% lowers

6 Likes

I will not even allow a number of guns I have to figure in or to determine my normality. i will have as many as I want to have and still be just as normal as if I had none.

12 Likes

This topic can be merged with one from last year. Search “How many guns do you have?” A lot of responses on the topic.

7 Likes

Your post reminded me of Larry Potterfield’s wife Brenda in his commercials. :rofl:

5 Likes

:rofl:I think he shot whatever those shoes are made of

7 Likes

Define “normal”.

2 Likes

If normal is defined as what is acceptable, today’s society it is a fleeting definition as societies change. If normal is a reflection of today’s society then I don’t want to be normal.

8 Likes

What is the average, BTW? I keep hearing there are more firearms in the U.S. than there are people. I don’t know if that’s true, but it would mean the mean average American owns at least one firearm. It might be more interesting to know how man firearms the average firearm owner has, eliminating non-owners from the count.

Are there reliable estimates for these?

2 Likes

I guess you could check the ATF registry. :wink:

5 Likes

Not saying I’m under this pillow because you make me nervous dad but you have a lot of guns!

7 Likes

I am pretty sure best guesses are that less than half of Americans own firearms. By that I would say the average American is not a gun owner. But there are a fair number of gun owners who own enough to make up for that on the totals. :slight_smile: Also it seems that the best guesses still put individuals or households at somewhere in the ballpark of half.

Then again, a lot of gun owners are “I’m a gun owner, but [here is all the gun control I support]” so there is that as well

7 Likes