How long has it been since you've been to the range?

Depends on how you define range. If you mean going to someplace like Bud’s and shooting there, not since the 90s. If you mean RR ties I have set up along the fence line in my backyard, 3 months. I can practice more things in my back yard than at a business run range.

4 Likes

Just got back two hours ago, business and pleasure. I zeroed my recently installed flip-up sights, and then did a little steel shooting at 100 yards with my Sig Bravo5. I was happy with how reliably I was hitting both the 6" and 4" even with a 19mph cross wind.

The real fun was doing some cowboy fast draw with my Bisley 45. Best time that included a hit was 1.28s.

First time shooting wax bullets; they’re propelled only by a 209 primer. I was very surprised when I found a couple of them 75 yards down range as I was cleaning up for the day.

Since they weren’t deformed in the least, I’m guessing their velocity was pretty much spent when they hit the ground.

7 Likes

Got out for about 90 minutes at the local indoor range. The scope for the Marlin was in the mailbox when I arrived home. Next time! I had some fun with the others and a new very small range bag.

4 Likes

Today.

When I was nearly finished I put up my last target and carefully fired 1 round at 10 yards (pistol). Really wanted to pull a Costanza and just walk-off right there.

7 Likes

2.5 hours today. Raining a bit,I was the only one at the club which I love. 1911/M9 primarily, but a couple mags with the G43 and 2 home builds at pistol on paper. 15 yards. Wake up call with the 43, feed issues with the mag I’ve been carrying, so have swapped back to my oem’s with the +2 extension. Other mag worked well with my other defense ammo, going to run both defense rounds next outing, through various mags; find that gun hiccups after sitting awhile, and it has been getting sweat on quite a bit lately. My P80 940C (G19 based) is probably my favorite polymer gun now, smooth, reliable and accurate. A bit over an hour, then my DDm4v7(ladeedah🍸) upper/Aero AR and Mini 14 on steel mainly offhand at 1, 2, and 300 yards. Quick 50 rounds there, love those rifles, they’re dialed in and run real well.

5 Likes

I was there yesterday.

3 Likes

Planning to do so today before the rain starts

3 Likes

I’ve only been getting out once a month this winter. On a personal range, the obstacles are weather, time, and ammo — not availability of the facility. With that infrequent practice, I was pleased to (almost) clean the target on my benchmark exercise run cold — first 20 shots after 4 weeks off. And the time was decent — not my best or my goal, but just slow enough to make my hits.

I modify the reload string to make it harder/slower. So I can but rarely do make that in 3 seconds. The 7yd multiple and single handed shots are just hard for me to get in 3.0 if I want the hits. I’ve done better, but a good run.
:yum:

8 Likes

be careful about saying how many rounds you shot. some assh0le will count them and say you’re lying or you’re a bad shot. happened to me here.

3 Likes

Oh, if a*holes counting my holes is the most annoying thing I need to ignore here, I’m good.
:relieved:

5 Likes

5 Likes

It looks so dry and marvelous there! I’m jealous. 70° dew point and counting down to November for me. 179 more days to suffer through.

4 Likes

Going to the range on Sunday, yay…

5 Likes

Yeah, a tools forum I’m on is always talking about how to prevent rust. “Use this product, use that.” I just say, “Move to New Mexico.”

5 Likes

Went about a month ago with a family member, their first time. Made sure to hold a mini safety class with them at home with them first. We later went out to eat as a family. Can’t say enough how a day at the range can help build relationships with that family member. Went again a few days ago solo.

Of course, my 15 feet target accuracy was my best; So that one I saved.

Though accuracy improvement is important, I might suggest we all not be hard on ourselves. I never wish any one to ever have to “use”. I pray I will never have to. Worst case scenario; The following reports were food for thought for me:

"If you stand still in a gunfight you have an 85% chance of being shot, and 51% chance of being shot in the torso.

If you move and shoot you have a 47% chance of being hit, with 11% chance of a torso shot.

Seeking cover and returning fire reduces your chance of being shot to 26% with a 6% torso hit rate."

Source: 17 Most Important Gunfight Stats: Backed By Data and Real World Experience - Tier Three Tactical

4 Likes

A lot of folks do this. I do when I’m going with anyone new to it and they all seem to appreciate it. No one wants to look bad or harm anyone once they get there.

4 Likes

Yesterday. With purpose.

My wife, and one of her friends, are taking a CCW class this coming Saturday. They wanted me to help them, so they weren’t as nervous about the class. I started them with a Browning Buckmark. From there, my 6 inch GP100, with standard 38’s in it. Then the lesson began. The friend, had a small, Taurus Ultralight 38 revolver. One of those “this is what your wife needs” kind of things. :roll_eyes:. It enlightened them both to why small, light, snubbies are better for more “seasoned” shooters with more hand strength. They agreed that that gun with 38’s was more punishing than my 45 Compact, and my Ruger with full power .357 loads. They both loved the Buckmark. And yes, I used the opportunity to run drills myself, as a “watch and learn” moment.
Now, I’m researching M+P Shield EZ’s in 30 Super Carry for my “I want a small revolver” wife. She even admitted I was right.

7 Likes

Today.

Example target, decided to check ‘zero’ of my HST defensive rounds in the VP9 at 25 yards. Two separate strings of 5 ran and marked in between

When I clean it I may scootch the adjustment just a tickle to the right

7 Likes

I spent some time in Los Alamos for work probably twenty some years ago and it was beautiful there. What corner are you in if you don’t mind me asking?

4 Likes

Went out today and the old saying is true: if you don’t use it you lose it. All shots were inside the silhouette but not the nice tight groups I used to have.

5 Likes