How do you help others learn?

This week’s Into the Fray is a bit different than Kevin’s normal videos - he’s asking you to help everyone learn:

You can let us know what your 5 most important self-defense topics are here: 5 Most Important Self-Defense Topics

How do you help others learn?

1 Like

Taking time to talk to people. We all started out knowing nothing. I’ve found that telling people some of the silly mistakes I’ve made puts them at ease. You gotta crawl before you walk and there’s nothing wrong with that.

3 Likes

Becoming informed from all aspects on a subject and admitting guilt if I have done wrong in the past. Mostly I like to lead by example.

3 Likes

Ain’t that the TRUTH!

2 Likes

I think being nice and accepting is highly underrated these days in the firearms community. I still say the nicest people in the world are serious shooters who are always willing to help and be supportive, but I’ve noticed lately a good deal of gun shaming and general snobbish attitudes, particularly on the internet. The problem with that is, the internet is the first place people who are curious or interested in joining our community go for information. What a terrible first impression some could get… I don’t care if someone shoots a Glock, Sig, Taurus, XD, Canick or Wilson Combat etc, the brand/type of gun means nothing at the end of the day if that’s what they want or can afford. Saddle me with a high point if that’s all I can get and I’ll train my tail off with it. The brand doesn’t make me efficient or safe, I do that regardless of the tool. I cringe thinking of people who’ve been put off or outright dismissive of our community because of the actions of a few. Regardless of our level of ability, I think the best way we can help new shooters is to be open and supportive. Help them improve as others have helped us and leave the judging to the anti gunners, they’re doing a good job of that on their own.

2 Likes

I agree - I’d say it’s underrated everywhere these days. :frowning: People who are nice are almost being ostracized for being kind.

1 Like

Absolutely true.

1 Like

I show them USCCA videos and magazines as well as other videos from Jan Morgan and Anna Taylor. The FIRST thing I teach someone who asks and is new to shooting is how to safely hold the firearm. The 4 safety rules.

2 Likes

Right with you on the nice.

I remember they may know nothing other than what they’ve seen in movies and in the news. I answer all their questions thoughtfully, even silly ones, without making them feel bad for asking. I talk about it like it’s all normal (because it is), and I take them to the range and teach them, patiently and at their pace so they can see for themselves.

I’ll send links to good sources, invite them here, connect them with a safe and fun shooting group, and ask questions before I offer answers. I always want to stay approachable.

I agree completely with the “what they see in movies.” We’re all guilty of this in different phases of life, not just guns, but as an instructor I battle “movie myths” as much as bad technique. But I agree, I don’t laugh or make fun of it when it happens, it’s a very easy mistake to make. It actually makes for excellent teachable moments.

1 Like