New/perspective firearm owner class

In am working with another instructor to put together a class for those wanting to purchase or who have already purchased their first firearm. Since retiring last fall, I have taken a part-time job with a FFL retailer selling firearms and I have had several young couples come to us wanting to buy a firearm for the first time and have several questions. These questions range from what gun to buy and where can they get training to how should they store it at home.
We have come up with a good outline covering sizing a handgun to an individual, eye and ear protection, safety training for everyone in the household, budgeting time and money for training and range practice as well as eventual concealed carry and legal responsibilities.
I am sure my USCCA associates have valuable thoughts to share and I welcome insights and suggestions. My goal is to develop a solid template and share it, along with feedback from students, here for other instructors to use as they see fit.
Thanks in advance!
Fred White

9 Likes

Hello and welcome @Frederick55

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Frederick55. Are you already a USCCA member? Lots of great courses to take. Incorporate these into your classroom. Maybe encourage USCCA membership enrollment. Looks like your open for a lot of great opportunities and successful teaching materials. Youā€™re on a great start. Hope youā€™ll attract many responsible learners. Good Luck! :+1:

3 Likes

Sounds like a great course.
My only suggestion is to maintain a friendly personality. I think some newcomers get intimidated, I know I was initially, but meeting some friendly people at the gun store really helped my enthusiasm,and crap, now I think Iā€™m one of those guys on the other end, helping newcomers.
Sold an AR to a neighbor a couple weeks backā€¦now weā€™re working on building two more for himā€¦I love getting allies in the never ending war to keep our rights.

4 Likes

I am a USCCA member and Certified Instructor. My goal is to build a class focused on the people who are brand new to shooting. New shooters often find classes intimidating when they feel they are behind others in firearms knowledge. It will be a setting where there are no ā€œstupid questionsā€. Sadly, too often newcomers get discouraged when met with eye rolls and snickering.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @Frederick55

I have suggested a similar idea to the USCCA staff in the past but donā€™t think it has gone anywhere. I think it would be great if there was a national program that encouraged dealers to connect firearm purchasers with inexpensive or preferably free introductory classes with certified local instructors. Instead of just asking if they need a box of ammo with their purchase employees could also ask if they were interested in these available training sessions as well. Depending on the market these could be offered regularly on a monthly or weekly schedule.

I think this would be a win for everyone. The purchasers get valuable training. The instructors get access to additional clientele at least some of whom will likely want to take additional trainings. And the store is more likely to get a repeat customer needing more ammo, additional firearms and accessories instead of a customer who just buys a gun and sticks it in a drawer and thinks they are now somehow good to go when someone bashes in their door in the middle of the night.

If the USCCA and or other organizations promoted these efforts they could win as well with increased membership.

1. Safe and secure storage of guns and ammo around the home. 2. Dry firing. 3. Liability insurance. 4. What to take to the range/range etiquette. 5. How to introduce firearm safety to children. 6. Firearm transport to/from the range. 7. How to practice (not the same thing as how to shoot). E.g. train with a purpose, journaling, realism. 8. How to avoid ending up with 2 dresser drawers full of holsters.

2. Overall: avoid mansplaining.

2 Likes

@Frederick55 Welcome to our community. If you have not seen this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Firearms & Self-Defense Terminology Guide | USCCA Resources (usconcealedcarry.com)

Guides ā€“ Protector Academy (usconcealedcarry.com)

Larry, weā€™re on the same wavelengthšŸ˜€

Do we get to see :eyes:

The range/store I work at has in house classes that we recommend to a lot of people. Something I always try to do is help educate people on safety, operation, and a basic understanding of gripā€¦ especially when we have a new to firearms person come in that I can help. Last weekend, a couple that had never shot before came in and wanted to rent a firearm. They told me they hadnā€™t shot before, and asked for some help because they wanted to be able to better protect their family. I gladly spent a while with them going over firearm safety, operation of the firearm they wanted to rent, grip, aiming, and anything they wanted to know (as far as my knowledge permitted). Iā€™ll admit I donā€™t know everything, so I did defer a few questions to an instructor, but we did the best we could by them. We then hooked them up with the rso to get them going on the range for a safe and fun shooting session. I often see guns sold to people that donā€™t know a thingā€¦ not at my store, and I wonā€™t name them, but I wish everyone would take time to help new/prospective owners. Iā€™m not a certified instructor, but I do my part every chance I get.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve said it once and Iā€™ll say it a thousand timeā€¦ Everyone was new at some point. A house doesnā€™t just appear one dayā€¦it takes time to build one and there are many steps. Same with shooting. People often forget that they were new and had no idea what they were doing onceā€¦
As far as the no stupid questions, when learning something new, especially firearms, the more questions, the better! The day you think you know everything is the day you punch one into your leg in front of a school classā€¦

3 Likes

Here yaā€™ go :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The amount of accessories that person managed to put on his rifle is impressive :rofl::joy: looks like it weighs 20 pounds lol

1 Like

We work out :muscle::laughing:
Actually, we put suction cups on the bipod feet :wink:

1 Like

Youd have to unless that sideways bipod has those spikey feet! Edit, just saw the suction cup portion of that comment :rofl: glad there was thought behind the design!

1 Like

This is the ā€œwallflowerā€ bi-bipod.
The one with the spikes, well, thatā€™s the ā€œcliffhangerā€.

Think I got a bright future in the design field :clown_face:

1 Like

Think weā€™ll helium purge the scopes in lieu of nitrogen, help fight gravity a bit.

1 Like

Next should be the chandelier! That way you can suspend yourself from the ceiling and brace the rifleā€¦ The enemy expects you to be on the ground :thinking:

1 Like

Tomorrowā€™s meetingā€¦ Iā€™ll mention that. :see_no_evil:
Hopefully Elonā€™s our CEO :laughing:

1 Like