How about your hands?

We who carry are typically in condition yellow. We are aware of our surroundings and the people in it. We don’t get sucked in to our cell phones in public. BUT, are you paying attention to your hands? When you are walking the dog, what hand is the leash in? When you walk out of the store, what hand do you carry your purchases in or what hand are your car keys in? As we live life, we have to carry things or have things in our hands. While you might be aware of your surroundings, how aware are you of what your hands are doing or carrying? And since we actually use our hands, have you practiced one hand drawing? And if you say you will just drop the groceries, dog leash, treasure your kid found on the walk and wants you to carry back home, have you practiced drawing and presenting with dropping the objects in your hands?

As we practice and train, think about your life and how you live your life, then find ways to incorporate that into your training.

12 Likes

Every range trip sees me shooting two handed, switching primary hand, and one handed with each hand. Are they equal? No. but I can do any of the four if I had to…or so I think. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Draw hand always stays empty and i try to keep strangers on my left side.

11 Likes

When I was in the Marine Corps, I was coming out of the base store and an officer came up and looked for his solute and my hand was full. He did not give me the riot act but ,he did say," If you were to have to defend yourself wouldn’t you like to have your hand available to defend yourself?" His explanation continued to be that of knowledge to use in every day life, not just as a courtesy but in practicality.

15 Likes

Great points @Brian139! I actually avoid carrying a purse as much as possible for that very reason, I want my hands free. However, I’ve also thought about how I can strategically use whatever is in my hands if need be (picture the little old lady beating an attacker with her purse - no, I am not the little old lady :roll_eyes:).

Having something in your hand can make it harder to defend yourself - but it can also be an extra weapon of opportunity. Our reflexes might not allow us to put it down (that was illustrated in a couple of the USCCA Proving Grounds where the “victim” didn’t put down what was in their hand during the attack (I was one of them)).

I’m with you on the one handed draw training - and I’ll throw in some mental training when I’m carrying groceries to the car. Can I use the bag as a weapon? Swing or throw it at the attacker?

5 Likes

Yes! I carry things in my left hand, and have my family walk on my left side. If I had to make a defensive move of some kind, I want myself between my family and the danger.

5 Likes

How about backpacks? It might keep hands free, but gives a bad guy a major control point if it is fully strapped on.

4 Likes

I’ve mentioned in the open carry thread that I carry everything in my left hand so that I can draw with my right. I practice like that and I even practice left hand in case my right gets incapacitated.

4 Likes

This is good stuff I’ve been thinking about and working on. When I get home from work it’s dark. I want gun hand EMPTY as I get out of my vehicle. Keys in the left hand…and I’ve thought about it enough to where if I can throw or pitch those keys in a perps face if I need to buy time.

When coming out of a store we know we face the “transitional parking lot”…a couple of thoughts:

*Using a shopping cart to maintain distance if practical.

• Putting things in the vehicle with your non-shooting hand keeping gun hand free.

I’m constantly working on these things because we know the “attacker” sets the tone…BUT… we know they look for those who are in “Lala Land”.

The more aware you are the less likely you are to be s target!

5 Likes

That’s why I practice shooting with both hands like my grandma used to say, JUST IN CASE. Its always good because if your carrying in your strong hand you may need to shoot with your left hand. But your life is more important than what is in those bags. So if need be drop your bags.

6 Likes

Couldn’t you use whatever you are carrying in your strong hand as a destraction for the draw?

For instance, you are carrying your soda in your strong hand, a casual toss, then draw? A natural startled flinch from your attacker could be all you need.

Sometimes you just have to use both hands.

7 Likes

Even though it has been a long time, my years in the military taught me to leave my right hand empty. Have to be able to salute, you know.

6 Likes

I was thinking the same thing sir. Oh the good old days.

6 Likes

Julietta
I carry my keys on a self defense ring (with sharp points) when I get out of my car even though I live in a locked compound in a rural area, then put my bag in that arm, leaving one hand free for distance or drop the bag and close defense.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s a learned trait that never goes away, and I ret’d from the Navy 28 yrs ago. Still keep the right hand empty whenever possible, and family, dog leash, packages, and others to my left when possible.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your Service and Sacrifice Greg33!

1 Like

Yes absolutely you can use the bags as a distraction to draw your firearm agree 100 percent.

3 Likes

Imagine little johnny gangbanger defending his street cred after getting his melon split open by a can of creamed corn trying to swipe gramma’s purse… :rofl:

4 Likes

Brain,
As a new conceal carry permit holder I never considered that. As a right handed person I would find myself carrying packages with my draw hand. Very useful information. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

When I go to the range, one of the defensive tactics I ALWAYS practice is having something in my hands…the drill is to immediately drop what you’re carrying, draw from concealment, and put at least three rounds on target. Great practice and am keenly aware of how it affects my daily interactions when shopping :slight_smile:

3 Likes