House guests and home defense plans

Life is ever-changing - a few months ago my daughter and granddaughter moved in with us. During all of the upheaval of moving, I didn’t give a second thought to the security plan until recently.

In the middle of the night about a week ago, one of my dogs went nuts! Barking and growling at the window. It was a really windy night and, after investigating, it turns out that a small branch had hit the window and woken my dog up. It was then I realized that I hadn’t talked about a security plan with my daughter - especially since my granddaughter’s room is between my room and the front door.

I’ve got a very low-tech drawing of the house (not to scale… and this isn’t my house’s layout for my family’s security) and have talked with my daughter about what to do if someone breaks in.

With the holidays coming and families visiting, now is a great time to review your home defense plan and share it with house guests.

When do you share your home plans with house guests?

8 Likes

It’s need to know only so they get read into the plan once they’ve obtained their DSS security clearances :slight_smile:

Seriously, great question, the only house guests we’ve over the last decade or so have been friends of the kids for sleep overs and I’ve never thought about giving them a safety brief, not just for defense but for fire and other emergencies as well, although I’ve always taken them into account for my plans.

Hmmm, I need to think about that and at least give them a light version of a safety brief.

3 Likes

Never…
Have you ever seen NSA sharing their office’s plan? :sweat_smile:
But seriously , no need for this. My house is very easy to navigate and escape plan is obvious.

3 Likes

In case of emergency, just follow the large running man…he’s “clearing a path”… :rofl:

6 Likes

I had a dog that would freak out, fur standing up, barking at nothing. Like, the dog saw “someone” in the room, but there wasn’t anyone there. He did that twice. Both times it was at night while I was home alone. I don’t think the hairs on my neck have ever stood that tall.

2 Likes

I tell anyone that enters my home the same thing… if you see me with my gun drawn, quickly hit the deck.

8 Likes

@JamesR :yum:
One main entrance, front garage door, back yard exit, two basement exits from side of the house.
I’ll be trapped only if get organized home invation :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The bunker’s not really set up for house guests, so house guests aren’t a thing. :woman_shrugging:

Where I stay for work though… I rent a room in a house. I do have a plan for myself, and the landlady (who’s become a good friend and who I’m teaching to shoot) says her security plan is banging on my room door hollering my name really loud :laughing:

But now that you mention it, I’m thinking an actual plan might be a good thing. :thinking:

5 Likes

Warning there is some language at the start of the video (@Dawn delete this if it goes too far).

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhoUQgO2Riw)

5 Likes

:joy:
@Dawn was too quick… I was just about to click on video…and it’s gone… :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m leaving it for now because you were awesome and put the warning up. :slight_smile:

I’ll let the Community decide if it goes too far on the language spectrum (please use the flag option if you think this crosses the line).

I will ask a question about the video though… Do you thing that’s something we want non-gun or anti-gun people thinking we think?

4 Likes

It’s there, I just had it blurred so it wouldn’t show the title (which had another language reference). I’ve made it so you can still see and click the link, but don’t see the language in the title.

3 Likes

Got it :ok_hand:
Video is ok … Just adult talk… :grinning:
Great defense plan :+1:

3 Likes

I am good with whatever the Community decides. Maybe the USCCA could create a private page that only you can see where we could post the ‘questionable’ ones until you have a chance to look them over, sort of a quarantine zone.

As for your question. I really can’t answer for non-gun people. I have been around guns my whole life, so I don’t know if non-gun people could be uninformed enough to assume that the video was reality rather than humor?

Anti-gun people will interpret anything to produce maximum outrage/offense. If they lose their minds over a finger gun gesture then this video will really trigger them. If we limit ourselves to not offend them we would not be free to enjoy other gun content such as John Wick movies etc, and that is not the world I want to live in. So let them have their outrage and I will enjoy my gun content.

3 Likes

I’ve been “non gun” person for 35 years. Not “anti”, just “non”. I kept a rifle few times in my life during High School (sport shooting).
Everything changed once I moved to USA. However I’m still the same person, I own guns, but my mind is the same as was that time.

Everything said here is proper and correct. Sometimes our discussions are hard, but nothing crossed the line so far. (thanks to @Dawn)

Like @Greg1 said… every word can be interpreted differently by each person. Whatever we say here is OK for us, might be not OK for others… But I don’t care… this is FREE Country and I enjoy talking about guns :slightly_smiling_face: If someone doesn’t like it… it’s not my problem :wink:

2 Likes

Here are my 2 cents about fighting in a home. As most of you know I did patrols in Mosul Iraq, and I have been involved in more than one clearing operation in a house, and one thing that I will say about guests knowing a plan is that if more people are on the same page with what to do in the chaos that will ensue in a home invasion/ burglary, the more successful you will be.

5 Likes

@Greg1, I LOVE THAT VIDEO!

2 Likes

Our only guests will be my son and daughter. I am guessing my son will be bringing home his M&P 2.0 and the AR-10 he just built. Oh, and his pitbull (She’s a sweetheart as long as she knows you) and his attack ferret, Jeffrey Dahmer (the pit is afraid of him, he bites her and holds on).

2 Likes

^^^ that sounds like really good advice.

And thank you for being there and doing that. :+1:

1 Like

Well, fortunately, for me. I don’t get very many houseguests, and of those I do get, they know to follow my wife and get low. My house isn’t nearly as open as it looks from outside.

1 Like