Home Security: Without an Alarm

There are a huge variety of home security systems available these days - with an even larger price point variety. However, none of them are free and sometimes other bills just have to come first. Here are some pointers for securing your home without an alarm.
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/how-to-secure-your-home-without-an-alarm/

Althought, I would say that an alarm system is still cheaper and would let you sleep more than a Scott A. Wagner’s first suggested option in the article above. :rofl:

2 Likes

My home security system, cost $160 per month in food and treats and toys.

5 Likes

Mine are similar, but I think mine would just be noisemakers. :confused:

2 Likes

We’re putting security film on my granddaughters house windows.

3 Likes

My alarm is of the 4 legged variety… Zee, what is security film for windows?

3 Likes

@Fred_G it’s a film you add to the windows that makes them almost impossible to break. You can beat them with a bat and they’ll shatter, but not break through. It comes in clear and one-way-mirror. Keeps window-breaking bad guys out. The only thing is if you have to break it for fire reasons… IDK.
8 Mil Security Window Film 30" Wide x 6.5 ft. Roll

2 Likes

That’s impressive, @Zee . If you use it on windows that can open, it would make sense. You could just push the window up/turn the crank to open the window in case of a fire.

2 Likes

Its pretty cool stuff. It will eventually yield, but it takes more than a dozen hits, sometimes 16 or 17 to break it, instead of one.

2 Likes

Pretty cool stuff! I bet it looks a lot better than iron bars and costs a lot less.

4 Likes

@Fred_G that is absolutely true :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is what I use. It’s wireless and pretty modular. You can get door and motion sensors. And it will alert you via the smart phone app.

https://www.wyze.com/wyze-cam-pan/

1 Like

I live in an apartment, so I’m not allowed to have a security system. That said, I’ve found every loophole an apartment dweller can use for security. For starters, I have a dog… which gave me an excuse to put a pet gate outside my door to prevent him from escaping. I also have a ring doorbell. I’m not allowed to change my doorbell, but ring just came out with one that replaced a doors peephole, which is perfect since I had one. (I’m still able to use the peephole, too) I also have Amazon key, and while I wasn’t allowed to replace my deadbolt, Amazon has a solution for renter’s that only replaces the inside portion of the deadbolt, but leaves the outside the same, so my apartment manager can still gain access. That system also means I have a camera facing me door from the inside. I also have a camera in my living room, and looking out the window to my car.

What this all means is, I’m alerted anytime there’s movement outside my door, my doorbell is rang, my door is knocked on, my door is unlocked or locked, there’s movement in my dining room where the only entry door is, or there’s movement in my living room, which includes my 3rd floor balcony door. (I mostly use that camera to check on my dog while I’m at work)

1 Like