Holster Suggestions for Ruger Security 9 (Kydex)

A friend has a Ruger Security 9, and is looking for a good kydex holster. With what I would call “passive” retention. He does not really want to hit a button to release the gun, but wants it secure.

I carry in leather, so any of you have any suggestions? He prefers clip on, OWB.

1 Like

Crossbreed and AlienGear are both good.

6 Likes

I bought one for less then $20 off Amazon that is my favorite for IWB carry. I have an Alien Gear and a VersaCarry but the kydex is just as secure and more comfortable. I just finished a three day trip, including an 11 hour drive home, and wore it the entire time. By the end of the drive, the holster was the only thing I was wearing that didn’t bother me.

I’ll see if I can find a name or product number.

2 Likes

Turns out it was on ebay, not Amazon, and it was @25, not less than $20. In any event the seller was shooterindustriesholsters.

2 Likes

I don’t have a Ruger but I have an Aliengear cloak tuck 3.5 and love it. I know they have one for the Ruger Security 9. They have others too so it will all depend on what you are looking for.

1 Like

I have an aliengear cloak tuck as well… can’t recommend it enough. Fits beautifully for my hellcat. One thing to consider though is that these are molded holsters…so you have to consider whether or not you plan on adding anything to your weapon when you buy the holster. I could not decide to add a light to my gun without changing holsters.

2 Likes

I am a big fan of Crossbread. I have an OWB model that is my EDC. It hugs my body and has only passive retention, which does a very good job.

1 Like

These are some holster companies that I use and like and make good Kydex holsters. Vedder holsters, Conceal Express, We The People, Bravo Concealment. Just to name a few.

2 Likes

Try Muddy River Tactical. Great prices, great customer service, very fast shipping and many options to choose from! They were recommended to me for a 1911 in this community. I love my purchase. This is not a sales pitch. I just believe in good quality at a reasonable cost.

Photo was from a recent post, but I can tell you that the durability of the MRT holster is triple that of the BladeTech, which was worn for ten years. I expect the MRT to last as long if not longer!

3 Likes

I’m with @Scott52.
These days you have 3 options:

• buy bad cheap stuff at ****.com or ******.com (strongly NOT recommended)
  • wait 2 months for great holster from your favorite manufacturer
  • buy from Muddy River Tactical - I have no idea what kind of magic they use… but they have everything ready for you within 2 days. I’m not a fan of pure kydex, but these are very decent. I’ve got 2 holsters (IWB, OWB) from Muddy and both work great .
4 Likes

Check out Vedder Holsters.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I will forward them to my friend.

1 Like

Some kydex holster have an adjust for retention. I remember serpa holster as being a problem. Have some leather holsters for 1911s but they have thumb breaks

2 Likes

The Sherpa was the one I was trying to remember.

1 Like