Holosun 515GM/CM or Aimpoint Pro?

I finally saved up the money to buy a new red dot for my home protection 556. I have it down to two as the thread title indicates. Please don’t try and introduce another choice into the mix here.

The Holosun 515GM/CM is a micro but it performs flawlessly. John L from Warrior Poet loves it to death! It is however a micro. The Aimpoint Pro has a much larger field of view, BUT it doesn’t have the “ring of death” option like the Holosun does. This is NOT ever going to be a carry gun so the extra weight on the Aimpoint is a non factor.

I guess the choice is a larger FOV, or the “ring of death” option for the dot. Both have batteries that last way longer than I need between battery swaps.

Lets say they are both FREE, which would you want, and again no others please. Why?

2 Likes

I have an Aimpoint Pro and absolutely love it. I went that route because I know it’s been battle tested and gets used way harder then I’ll hopefully ever need too.

Not adding to the mix but I Also have an eotech (ring of death) I was worried about only having a dot but after some drills and learning my holds it really isn’t faster and now I find the eotech sight picture to be a little too busy for me.

3 Likes

They are both proven brands. Personally I would prefer a wider field of view. But depending on your home a lower profile may be better. It’s a tough decision, but ultimately you’re going to have to establish which meets your priorities better.

1 Like

One of each then…???
:grin:

OK, my $0.02
You state intended use is home protection.
In this case isn’t your maximum range of engagement best measured in feet, perhaps a few dozen at most? What does the reticle ring gain you at these ranges? Aim at the bottom of it up close?

For myself, being right handed, left eye dominate, and having developed a stigmatism with age, I have noticed that bigger is MUCH better when it comes to sight windows.

Specs are about the same NV compatible, shake awake, water submersible, etc.

To your tastes, is one better than the other with regards to the control ergonomics (button size, feel, location, etc) Thinking quick adjustment to avoid burning a dot into your retina as your blurry eyed in the middle of the night. Murphy’s law says it will fire up on high from your last range visit.

2 Likes

You are describing exactly WHERE my concerns are (mild astigmatism). I am assuming you are referring to the larger FOV when you typed “MUCH” above?

This is a tough call but in the end either will do great for me. In the middle of the night I too am thinking a larger FOV and waking out of a sound sleep shakes out better than a micro. Still asking here if others feel differently. My alarm will be screaming and the main lights are turned on by the alarm already - means I am in the dark but “they” will be in well lit main areas.

2 Likes

I know you said price doesn’t matter… but the Holosun HE515GM and HS515CM are both on sale over at midwayusa.com right now…

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. Still trying to resolve the “mini” vs full size FOV issue for myself on this end. Going to the range for practice this weekend and I am hoping to find someone with an Aimpoint Pro I can look through.

1 Like

I just ordered the Holosun HE515GM over the Aimpoint pro simply because I am a big fan of the “shake awake” function that the Aimpoint Pro does not have. I also like having the ring of death because its just easier to aquire when raising my gun. It will be here Monday I will let you guys know what I think when it arrives.

1 Like

Congratulations, hope you enjoy it

2 Likes

Yes, please let us know how you like it when it comes.

2 Likes

Just recieved it yesterday. Holosun HE515GM-GR Elite. From what I can tell so far after mounting it, its badass. Now just need to get to the range and sight it in.

3 Likes

Looks great. Was it much of a decision process on RED vs GREEN? I see you went with Green.

2 Likes

Green is much easier on the eyes :+1::+1:

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like