Holiday parties and carrying

It’s the time of year when we all go out together to celebrate the holidays with friends, coworkers, or families. Whether it’s at a restaurant or at your office, alcohol is an option in a lot of these parties.

Do you carry at holiday parties and avoid the alcohol?

Not sure what your state’s laws are about drinking and firearms? Check it out here:

3 Likes

@Dawn No way, no how. No guns and alcohol Dawn. That’s a fools journey. Most states including good olé IL well; cops, alcohol, guns, and cars, the perfect storm.
I personally haven’t had any to drink at least for Ten years now probably more like Twelve years since I was diagnosed with a heart problem and well; truth of the matter is with three of my prescriptions specifically state Do not use alcohol beverages when taking this medication. (Or words similar to those)

5 Likes

I don’t drink (never have), so I’m designated carrier.

7 Likes

I can’t remember the last time I went to a holiday party…but if I did, I’d carry and not drink.

9 Likes

I went to a Christmas Party last night and as I knew I would be drinking, I left my weapon at home. Felt a little odd, but you just can’t drink and carry, at least not in Ohio.

6 Likes

Holiday party = drinking = no gun.

5 Likes

Never say never or always. If I am carrying and have a drink, it will be beer and be limited to no more than 1 an hour.

2 Likes

I never drink away from home.

3 Likes

Since my company has a no weapons policy I can’t carry to our holiday party.

3 Likes

Not really a party kinda gal, but I did go to our department party last year. I didn’t drink (because I dont) but the venue is unclear on if it makes more than 51% of its money on alcohol (determines if carry is legal) so I left mine locked in the truck.

5 Likes

I would carry. In Louisiana, you can carry concealed as long as your BAC is under .05% (DUI is .08%). So, as MikeBKY says, one beer an hour I am fine. I rarely go to parties, and it would usually be stop by, maybe have one beer, BS for a few mins then leave. I don’t like crowds…

It is a personal choice, also depends on the laws where you live, and the rules of the venue.

4 Likes

In my opinion if you carry you don’t drink. Period. No matter what laws are out there. Alcohol 0 grain, 45acp 230 grain, any questions?

5 Likes

@Scott52 Hmm, what if you carry 9mm or .38 Superb? :grin:

2 Likes

I agree fully.

4 Likes

When I carry, I don’t drink. Period.

7 Likes

I don’t drink and I don’t really do holiday parties, but I carry everywhere I can legally carry, so if I did go to a holiday party I wouldn’t drink.

3 Likes

I’m foolish enough to think I can get away with it in marinades and as a small ingredient in cooking… but even that is quite rarely any more. (I suppose getting stupid drunk as a Sailor when I was very young also helped shape my views on excessive holiday cheer… nothing alcoholic seems to taste just right anyway.)

Ya, when/if I go, I’m designated driver/guardian any more.

3 Likes

I got you Chris, I understand Buddy. Remember when I was in high school I think about junior year so this is like back in 1966 my dad found out that my 2 friends and I were drinking We got a man older man to buy us liquor, we got a 5th of Southern Comfort And a pack of lucky strikes I don’t know if you know what they are or were they are Very very strong cigarettes what they were unfiltered cigarettes that will put you on your butt they’re so strong And my father walked behind the garage I guess he probably smelled the smoke maybe from the house and he made my two friends and I finished that pack of cigarettes and Also finish the bottle of Southern comfort and he wanted to teach us a lesson; I guess he want to read teach me a lesson when I was young guy people aren’t like they are now they watched out for each others kids. So if you screw up back in the 50s and the 1950s and early 60s your parents your mother would get a phone call or the neighbor would walk you home and inform your mother because your father was working your mother would know about it before you even got home it’s funny now but it wasn’t funny back then in 1950s & 60’s. So that’s my story for today I’ll get back on the topic now.

3 Likes

I agree with this. I come from a family of attorneys and several LEOs as well. Even if the law says you can carry as long as your BA is lower than XXXX it is a trap to carry. Should the unthinkable happen, and you do shoot to protect yourself some prosecutor will tell the jury that you had SOME BA level. That sway can change a jury in a second flat. I have seen it. I hate being in the position of having to decide to leave my gun at home. You see my name (EDC_always) and I take it seriously, but there are some exceptions, few though.

4 Likes

Now most of this has to do with the fact that I’m 20 years old and the only party I went to for the holidays was the church Christmas party but… I always said that I didn’t want to drink. For several reasons: 1) I didn’t want to find out how prone I could be to alcoholism because my aunt is a former alcoholic. 2) I can take the money and put it towards guns and ammo. 3) I don’t want there to be the slightest delay in my reaction time.

6 Likes