Historical Guns?

Occasionally someone will bring a historically significant gun (from WWI to 3D printed guns) into work or the range where I work. It’s always interesting to hear their stories.

What historically significant guns have you seen/heard of?

3 Likes

The M1 Garand. We used them on our drill teams but of course they were not in working condition. Decades later when I finally saw and got to fire a functional one out on the range, it was quite the day for me. The rifle that saved the world. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

M1917 Enfield (American Enfield) Made by Eddystone Armory 1917 to 1918
U.S. Rifle, cal .30 Model of 1917.
Rechambered by Remington Arms Co. for the American Expeditionary Force

A friend of mine found this at a Pawn Shop for $150.00 about 20 yrs. ago and realized what it was, he said he couldn’t get his wallet out fast enough.
He had it checked out and it was found to in good condition.
He called me and out to the range we went.
What a piece of history, another firearm that (saved the world). And I got to touch and fire it. :star_struck:

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree with you more, the M1 Garand is the rifle that won World War II. Not long ago I ran into a gentleman at the range who had Korean War vintage M1 and was consistently hitting 1 moa groups at 300 yards with iron sights. He gave me the opportunity to fire it and it was a fantastic experience. I am now in the process of saving my pennies so I can add one to my collection.

2 Likes

The Mosin Nagant.

2 Likes

As a long time fan of the Parker gun… from bottom to top.

The bottom rifle is a contract rifle made by Parker & Snow (based on the Springfield 1861 pattern). It has the Miller Breechloading modification. Parker sued Springfield for copying the ejector design and won.

The middle rifle is a Parker T-Latch one of the earliest tipping breech loading shotguns made in America. It was constructed from the parts Parker had left over from the production of Civil War 1861 muskets. If you look closely you can see the same pin layout on the lock plates and how the stock wood matches. The musket barrels could be bored out to 12b (modern 12 ga are 12a) but they were pushing it. So the family tree of American Sporting Guns leads back to a military rifle.

The top gun is a further evolution of the T-Latch design but used back-action locks and English made laminated steel barrels.

1 Like

I currently have in my possession a Springfield 1873 trap door 45-70, or as it was called 45 Government, and a Winchester 1873 in 32-20. Both original.

I took a deer with the Springfield a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

M1 carbine my step dad owned, it was surprisingly accurate for a short barreled rifle of the period.

1 Like

I’m doing the same.

1 Like

Now we are talking another part of my world! I have been collecting U.S. military firearms since I was 18 and started with a 1903A3 Smith & Corona (I also have a Smith & Corona typewriter of the same vintage) . My current oldest is an 1860 .50 cal Smith Carbine, the newest is a civilian equivalent of an M-4. I am missing just 4 rifles from my U.S. collection: 1898 30-40 Krag Carbine, 1903A4, 1941 Johnson and an M1C. There are several holes in my Axis and ComBlock collection but I have general representative pieces for each. Still looking for a decent Carcano. I also have more than a few U.S. stamped .22 training rifles the oldest being a 1922 MKII and the latest being a Kimber 82G. I also have a fairly extensive library of U.S. Military and similar gun books, manuals and texts should someone have a question. If I don’t know the answer I know someone who does.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

When I was a young woman, a friend had a beautiful matched pair of flintlock pistols, early 19th century, that I was thrilled just to see…then I got to shoot one…

2 Likes

Oh, thought of another. The Thompson Sub Machine gun. From its status as the “Chicago Typewriter” to the trenches in Europe, the Tommy Gun is iconic.

The LeMat revolver.

2 Likes

If I ever have $5K that I don’t have any other use for I will buy a (Semi-Auto) 1918 BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle). I’ve fired real Thompson’s, Uzi’s, MP-5’s and Reisling’s (Meh!) but there is just something about the BAR that is so damn sexy.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Being chambered in 30-06 doesn’t hurt either.

1 Like