Have you ever been asked why do you carry?

At a traffic stop I told the LEO I was carrying when I handed over my DL and CCW. No problems. During the subsequent conversation he asked me the pertinent question. My answer was then and, if I’m asked, still is: “In case I have to shoot someone.” By the way, I seldom have been asked. Very few people know I carry and I keep it that way.

3 Likes

@Dawn

I may print a few of these out.

4 Likes

I sure am brother

1 Like

You know, I think it is Hollywood that is gun-happy, not America. I remember in “Hunt for Red October” when the Russian Captain thinks we’re all cowboys. I now live in a rural part of the People’s Republic of California. There is nothing wrong with being a cowboy or a cowgirl. They are the most honest, courteous people I know.

6 Likes

I have been asked why I carry and I go with the short answer- to even the odds. Is it loaded? It doesn’t function properly if it’s not :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Response, to “Why do I Carry”?

I’m a 67 Year Old Retiree!
I refuse to be Car Jacked!
I refuse to be an Easy Mark for Criminals.
I am not a Hard-Ass! Just a Retired Guy that wants to be secure in my Environment.
My Answer is Yes, It’s loaded!
Yes, There is a Round in the chamber!
The main 4 Rules apply 24/7.

1. Always Treat any Gun as Loaded.
  2. Never Point it at anything or anyone unless it’s to Defend yourself.
  3. Always treat your Firearm, as the final solution to protect yourself.
  4. Never Ever, Openly Discuss your CCW casually with the General Public. These days, Gun Ownership is Considered Tabu! Know who is Pro-2A like minded.
    Digression is the better part of valor!

My point, is be cool! The 2A is our Right as Americans! This is, my advise to deal with the General Public. Stay out of Gun Debates with Liberals! They, Really don’t Respect your Choices!

5 Likes

Yes all the time, mostly from my wife. Doesn’t quite understand why I keep it on my hip always, even at home. Told her it takes some getting used to the feel of it, and trying to make it eventually feel like a part of me. Honestly still go places sometimes, and feel almost like I’m doing something wrong. But it’s getting better. An extension of me, it will be eventually.

3 Likes

I like that, I haven’t really been asked yet, I try to conceal it well. So much that it’s affecting my choices of clothes I can wear now. Do you open Carry? I’m about to the point where I’ll just deal with a profile through the clothes. That kind of takes away the element of surprise in a situation, but sure would be easier to dress. What are your thoughts on that?

2 Likes

I’ve had the debate since I live in a very liberal small city. It never goes well. I invariably end up with “because I believe in our Bill of Rights and I once took an oath to defend the Constitution.” Then I try to make light of it, “and remember, when every second counts… help is just minutes away” and change the subject.

The problem is that most everyone I know is scared of guns (including my wife, the daughter of an ex-SEAL and sister of a retired Recon Marine) and is convinced that we are all serial killers just one stolen parking space away from a massacre.

4 Likes

My first response; am I printing?

2 Likes

Yes; I find this question coming from relatives and close friends. BACKGROUND: former USAF pilot (Korean conflict) - CHL since 1974 in numerous states through out the US that offered them - one son former LE - one grandson currently LE - that’s enough.
Depending upon the setting and the person asking the question, here are a couple of approaches. 1) Ask them a few questions to get an idea where they are coming from to help you formulate your answer; e.g., have you ever handled a gun? have you ever fired a weapon? do you own a gun? If so, why do you own a gun? have you ever experienced an attempted car jacking?. EXAMPLE: I have a brother-in-law who enjoys target shooting, which we have done together many times over the y ears. A couple of years ago he asked me this; " you are a Christian, you have been a bible teacher for some 40 years, why do you carry a gun? If you believe God protects you, why the gun? He was very sincere. He was my answer: Yes, I believe God for my overall protection; yet, bad things happen to good people, e.g., automobile accidents are the fault of another etc… The weapon is a tool like any other. It can be used for good or bad; don’t need to explain any further. The weapon is always, always the last line of defense. there is also a very little known Biblical fact that Jesus just before His ascension, He asked His disciples ’ how many swords (weapons) do you have? Luke 22:36 and following’. To this day, I know he does not understand. I hope in some way this may help you in your quest for answers. Another answer, depending upon whom asked the question is, “not a subject I discuss”.

3 Likes

You can sum it up with two words, EVIL EXSIST. Plain and simple.

3 Likes

@Clint29 Yes, quite often. But always in casual street clothing. Not in tactical or pro-2a wear. Never a question from anyone, including law enforcement. Just lots of smiles and nods.

4 Likes

Because God has given all of us free will. That means the bad guy has his free will to do harm, and I have my free will to protect myself.

5 Likes

As a long time resident in Arizona and a Marine veteran I have often been asked why I carry. The first answer is because I can. I then continue by saying that I refuse to allow myself or any member of my family to become a victim. I then go on to say that, hopefully it will never happen, somebody like me may be around to keep them from becoming a victim. It’s sort of like a drunk driver: the driver being the problem, not the vehicle. In Arizona it is not uncommon to see open carry and I consider it to be an educational experience not only for myself but for those around me.

5 Likes

Came across this article with… seventy-three (73) reasons to carry.

7 Likes

Gary, good response. You may be interested to know that personal protection (castle doctrine) is in the old testament,i.e., Exodus 22:2. Also many people quote the 5th commandment wrong. It is NOT "do not kill’, it IS “do not MURDER”.
Have a Blessed Day.

4 Likes

Yes I have. Sometimes even from family. I keep answer short to the point. I tell them I love them, even strangers. And fact is police only respond after the life threatening attack has happened. So I carry, train, study ( alot) , and practice, practice, practice. So just possibly I may save a life. Maybe even thiers.

1 Like

Another good response: I even go so far as lock my doors, put gas in my car and keep a fire extinguisher. Do you? God has given us an intellect as well.

3 Likes

I’ve never had to answer that question because I carry concealed.

1 Like