Have double stack 1911's fallen out of favor?

I know I am dating my self… Yet I remember “back in the day” there was a few manufacturers that made double stack 191 1’s. Now ammunition development has come a long way since 1991, so even 9mm. Would be nice. With out having to purchase a “race” gun. More along the lines of an officer model, or commanders model.
As in the para’s. P-10, p-14.
I know there r plenty of polymer models that are out there just not many 1911’s.
Came across a Kimber Used polymer 1911 the other day, full-size and was just wonder.
Thanks all!
Be gentle first post! Lol

3 Likes

They are still around. Para is now owned by Remington; not sure what models they are making. Armscor is also making a few under Rock Island Armory. Then there is STI too.

2 Likes

They are out there. I know Rock Island makes one and I think Remington has a model. Google search should pull some up.

@MarkinMT beat me to it.

2 Likes

Once apon time I bought my dream gun it was a double stack .45 1911 by Para Ordinance the Big Hawg (14+1) and then my house was broke into while I was at work with that wonderful pistol stolen.

I know Rock Island Armory makes a double stack 10mm 1911 (5 inch and 6 inch barrel I think is offered) and I’m gonna get me one even if it’s not popular that would be one mean pistol.

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:Yes AND One Heavy Pistol when fully loaded.

1 Like

Tons of 2011’s out there! Guncrafter, STI, Nighthawk… I think some are making them in 9 or 38 Superb… Amscor makes some as well.

2 Likes

There are still few real 1911 and double stack available.

• Remington, Dan Wesson, Rock Island, Para.

Do not mix them up with 2011, which is completely different firearm. :wink:

3 Likes

How are they different?

3 Likes

1911 is generally 2 component firearm:

• slide
  • steel frame (high end 1911 may use alu now)

2011 has modular frame:

• frame (mostly aluminium or carbon steel)
  • polymer grip module (grip + trigger guard)

With regular slide, 2011 has 3 major components then.

Sometimes people name 2011 as double stack 1911, which is not correct.
1911 can be single or double stack, but besides capacity (little wider grip) they are still the same.
2011 is a next step of double stack 1911. The biggest advantage of 2011 is reduced weight and easy of whole grip change (not only grip panels as in 1911)

4 Likes

STI go dvc carry 9mm
RIA go 22tcm comes with 9mm barrel and spring

STI lots of $$$$
RIA very reasonable, two calibers, and 22tcm is a blast to shoot.

Shot para 16-40 when I started uspsa, then went 40 Cal STI, Dawson Precision.

For the money can’t beat the RIA. The tac high cap(double stack). Mine is very smooth.

Like a car they will both get you there, but the Cadillac is generally a smoother ride.

Craig

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m with @Craig9.
For small budget - RIA Tac Ultra FS HC :ok_hand:
To really enjoy shooting - STI 2011 :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So what were the polymer double stack 1911 style pistolsfrom BUL, STI, and Kimber made in the 90’s? There’s also an article from 2010 on Wilson Combat’s polymer, double stack KZ 45.

Bul M5 Government (1994):

WC KZ45:

2 Likes

@Jerzees,
Never thought of it that way. Common sense says you are right. So, my double stack Llama 45 is a 1911 because it’s only frame and slide? I have to go three piece to “evolve” to 2011. Makes sense to me. Thanks for the insight.
Craig

3 Likes

@Scotty…you got me :slightly_smiling_face:

I may not know all handguns of the World.
Yes, of course you can find Companies using different material for production which is great.
But these are probably 2% - 5% and still not a standard.
(Like Citroen BX in 1980’s made from plastic components)

3 Likes

Oh? I did NOT know that. Thanks for that bit of intel :slight_smile: !!!
I pack a 1911 in 45, but would like to have a 10mm for other uses…and a double stack sounds just awesome…RIA makes some good stuff too.

2 Likes

The double stack 1911 was mostly an outgrowth of the IPSC competition market, as competitors sought ever greater capacity. There are a bunch of production 1911 houses that began as gunsmiths building competition guns, then started selling parts and accessories they developed (compensators, beavertails, triggers, magazines, etc.), and finally moved into selling entire pre-made “custom shop” guns. Eventually a few started making their own frames, becoming gun manufactures rather than just gunsmiths. Wilson is a perfect example of that.

I have a custom built “race gun” that was built on a Para-Ordnance frame. I don’t even know if Para was making completed firearms at that point, or just selling frames. I don’t recall anyone having a pure Para, they were all custom guns put together by a gunsmith from a Para frame. The grips on these things were way too big, so my gunsmith made super-thin (and amazing, in both feel and look) wood grips for it. I don’t remember exactly what year this is from, but about 1990. Later full 1911s from Para started really showing up, and soon others were jumping into the market.

Once polymer frames became a thing the grip size became less of a problem and there was an explosion in double stack 1911s. I have a Wilson KZ-45 that I bought around peak double stack 1911, but then things changed. Certainly in the competitive world Glocks and other non-1911s became more popular. The .40 S&W made it easy to make IPSC “major” in a 9mm sized frame, etc. IDPA as well as IPSC’s Limited and Production divisions moved the competitive focus to CCW and Duty-appropriate guns largely eliminating the penalty for using 9mm. And outside competition the .40 S&W gave “bigger bullet” + more capacity people a better compromise than double stack 1911s in .45 ACP or 10mm, certainly for CCW. This pushed the double stack 1911 more into the enthusiast category.

So yes they’ve “fallen out of favor”; but that doesn’t mean they aren’t available. Even though Para is more focused on single stack 1911s, they continue to offer a few double stack models such as the P14.45. Sadly the KZ-45 is long gone, and AFAIK the only double stack Wilson sells is a 9mm (and I’m not sure it is really even a 1911…I haven’t looked closely).

4 Likes

Thanks for that. I had the STI/SVI in the back of my head as the first competitor to the Para, but the name wouldn’t pop into my head.

Despite the 2011/1911 difference, it’s not exactly one I would expect most buyers to care about.

3 Likes

@Harold26,
Some of us are not most. I’m kind of a 1911/2011 snob, lol.
O love my STIs. And really really like my Springfield and RIA TCM.

3 Likes

@Craig9, good taste :ok_hand:
I’ve got a pleasure to shoot STI Combat Master :star_struck: . I’ve fallen in love… but my wallet has not :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

@Jerzees,
My wallet also, has not accepted my love affair.

3 Likes