Do You Prefer Double Stack or Single Stack?

OR

Double Stack or Single Stack - which do you prefer?

• Double Stack
  • Single Stack
  • Depends - please elaborate below

0 voters

5 Likes

I like my magazines like I like my burgers…double stacked! :rofl:

(see you thought I was going to say something else…:wink:)

Seriously, the more capacity, the better…with the exception of the 1911…those should all be single stacks…it’s the law…it’s a Federal law actually…it’s not just a State thing (channeling Bill Murray) :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

There are no one size fits all solutions when it comes to anything firearms. If one way was better, everyone would be doing it that way. Specifically to the question about double stack vs single stack, the answer is, it depends. First off what is the intended purpose of the gun?

If it is a bed side gun, I would say double stack for probably 99% of the population except people with incredibly tiny hands, and even then due to modular handguns, a double stack can likely be made to fit. If it is a concealed carry, double stack may be too large for someones frame to conceal on their person.

For me, for my hands, and for my body type and size I carry double stack. I get a much better grip on double stack guns than I do on single stack guns. Plus, the extra capacity can’t hurt. But it really comes down to what fits YOU.

3 Likes

Exactly! This is totally a preference question. The resulting conversation gives newbies and those who are looking for a new gun a variety of things they may not have thought about before. :slight_smile: I’ve got at least one of each. :wink:

6 Likes

I like the idea of more ammo just have to find a mid size that fits my hand and is concealable for my body type. I haven’t seen the new Hellcat yet that might be the one from what I have read.

4 Likes

In a self-defense situation single stack “should” be enough. That doesn’t mean that more can’t be better.

But when I’m at the range, I hate having to stop to reload. Call me lazy. :wink:

2 Likes

As a general rule, double stack as I want the highest capacity possible.

The exception to that for me is in 1911’s and small deep concealment/BUG’s.

3 Likes

I have “Paws” (my wife’s term). My hands are not disproportionately large for my frame but they are “big”. I like the feel of a double stack but have spent so much time running a 1911 that I am adaptable. I ran M-9’s (Beretta 92-F’s) and M-11’s (Sig Sauer 226’s) and HK MK-23’s (no idea what the civilian number is) while in the military as well as the 1911. If the grip angle is right I am good across the board. I gave up on Glock’s back in the early 90’s as the grip angle was wrong, I understand that they have a platform that is more to the 1911 angle now. Haven’t tried it.

I would really like to get a 4" Gen 1 XD as I have a 5" Tactical that I really enjoy shooting but it is HUGE. I’m not a fan of the later models of XD with “grip zones” and such. Even on the Tactical I put on a Houge “gripper” to fill my paw.

I have no idea how to answer the question.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Doesn’t make a darn bit of difference to me, I enjoy Single, Double, and Revolvers. I like everything but for self-defense I would eliminate the revolver type firearm.

3 Likes

Craig I have very thick hands but little stubby fingers and the XD and XDM 40’s fit me great. Give them a try and remember, with the XDM’s you have the interchangeable backstraps which will give you a semi custom fit based on what’s most comfortable for your hand.

2 Likes

Depends. I love my 1911’s which are single stack. But, there is something to be said for the little Sig P365 with a 12 round mag.

One of these days I will probably get a 2011, or maybe the new Dan Wesson DMx (when I can get it with nice G10 or wood grips, not orange)… DWX - Dan Wesson Firearms

And a different trigger.

2 Likes

@WildRose I get you on the XDM’s but there is just something about them that does not agree with me or my paws. I LOVE the GEN1 XD’s but they are getting hard to find now. I am in search of a 4" XD as I have a BUNCH of mags for the Tactical in 45 ACP and would like to stay with that platform. In the 09 SHOT show they even had XD’s with a thumb safety for the military trials which really trips my trigger. I’m also a sucker for a Bi-Tone. Nothing money can’t fix.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Trust me I know how you feel. The only SA’s I shot until the mid 90’s were 1911’s so Glock fit my hand like a 4x4 only less comfortably, HA!

5 Likes

Double, except for guns with cylinders.

2 Likes

I like the ones that are loaded and about to be slid into my weapon. Honestly it does depend on the weapon. I almost never buy a handgun that doesn’t feel right in my hand. Some single stacks feel right and some doubles feel right.

With one exception the ones that feel right in my hand I am more accurate with.

5 Likes

I prefer double stack. It just sits better in my hands. Even my 1911 is double stack.
For EDC - I enjoy the fact I have a lot of bullets on me,
At the range - I don’t care. To be honest, I never load more than 10 rounds per magazine.

2 Likes

How about a stack and a half like a p365, which is between a double stack and single stack?

3 Likes

I have a double for home defense and a single to conceal. Both are Glocks.

2 Likes

pretty much true here too… but in my case, they’re not “Paws” but “Man Hands” :wink:

My preference is always double stack and that’s what tends to fit best. That said, I’ll shoot 'em the way they’re made :grin:

7 Likes

I hadn’t given it much thought before, but all of my semi auto handguns have been or are single stack. I usually carry 2 extra, extended, magazines with me. While I like the capacity of the double stack I was concerned that it wouldn’t be easily concealable or too big for my hand. One of my sons has a similar handgun, to one of mine, but it is a double stack. I was very surprised at how little the difference in size is to mine. I may have to look at adding another gun to my collection.

I do have to agree with several other here that the 1911 has to be a single stack.

4 Likes