Has "armed security guard" coverage by USCCA recently changed?

Our Catholic Diocese has contracted with a large security firm for armed guard protection using trained/state law enforcement agency certified church member volunteers. The volunteers are required to be $1 per year “employees” of the security firm.
I know the USCCA explicitly excludes coverage but someone told just me USCCA changed the policy and covers such guards.

1. Has USCCA changed the policy on coverage for armed guards in places of worship?
  2. If no, would USCCA consider an exemption for $1 per year state-certified volunteer/employees?
    A competitor covers “on the job guards.”
    Thank you.
6 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Thomas690. We are glad to have you join us.

The Self-Defense Liability Policy for armed security guards has not been changed recently, and the “Occupational Use” exclusion is still in effect. As you are listed as an employee who receives compensation, even if it’s only $1, it falls under this exclusion. Unfortunately, this means that you wouldn’t be covered in case of a defensive incident. I understand this may be disappointing, but please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

10 Likes

Welcome aboard, Thomas! Glad to have you.

Calvin’s got you covered on the answer above.

3 Likes

Thank you for the prompt reply. This is the kind of prompt interaction that is needed. Rather than this turning into a 300 reply of discussion of opinions. You came in with a quick and comprehensive answer. While it may not have been the answer that was desired, it was an answer.

13 Likes

Thank you. I really appreciate that.

9 Likes

Welcome

4 Likes

the way that I understand it, most of these security teams require that $1 so that you fall under THEIR blanket insurance policy as employees, and you would not have to maintain your own, like the USCCA, and that the church itself would not have to have insurance on you, as they are contracting that service from the licensed and bonded security company. that’s the way it has been explained to me buy one of the local church security teams at any rate.

5 Likes

That is a darn good point. THat might be the reason.

Definitely ask the church and ask that security company.

It could be that USCCA membership benefits have you for all the rest of the time where you are not in the occupational use exclusion, but while doing the church stuff you are then under whatever that security company has.

hmmm

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Thomas690

2 Likes

@Thomas690 Welcome to the community!

Welcome @Thomas690!
I would have to ask, if Technically I’m employed by a

Wouldn’t they offer some kind of legal/medical protection if the firearms incident occurred while Technically on duty?

Get a copy of the security company’s liability policy and have your lawyer review it.

2 Likes

Thank you for all of the replies. As a new guy with this church Security Team I will find out who has what coverage BUT I am interested in personal coverage for ME (an imperfect human) that is not conditioned on fine print legal disclaimers that could leave me with “yes, but.”
I have my answer that the $1 per year pro forma pay opts me out of USCCA coverage and perhaps a savvy USCCA would consider setting a “working wage” threshold like $25 per year.

2 Likes

Hi Calvin, I have a follow up on your answer. You stated “Unfortunately, this means that you wouldn’t be covered in case of a defensive incident.” Does this mean a defensive incident while in the course of performing as an armed security guard? Or does it mean any defensive incident (i.e., while in my home or at the grocery store, etc.)?

I am currently undergoing training, but would like to know so that I can weigh all my options moving forward.

Thanks.

This is the exclusion copied and pasted from the policy, focusing on the #2 as it is the relevant part for security

h. Occupational Use
(1)--------
(2) Any “insured’s” conduct in providing security or safety services for monetary
compensation or a fee, including any injury or damage caused by or arising from
such conduct.

It would be your conduct in providing security or safety services for monetary compensation or a fee that are a no to coverage.

There is no issue, with respect to this exclusion, if you are at home off the clock not working and have a self defense incident. Or if you are at the grocery store as your own self. It’s not a matter of you the person being completely ineligible for coverage just because a job you have is safety/security, it’s just that you are not eligible while providing those services.

For possible coverage while working/providing those services I’d recommend asking your employer what they have or recommend

1 Like