Guns in the News: Governor DeSantis Expands 'Stand Your Ground' in Florida | USCCA

After pledging to crack down on “violent and disorderly assemblies,” Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has drafted legislation which expands on Florida’s “stand your ground” law. His proposal would increase the list of “forcible felonies” under Florida’s self-defense law to justify the use of force against people who engage in criminal mischief that results in the “interruption or impairment” of a business, and looting, which the draft defines as a burglary within 500 feet of a “violent or disorderly assembly.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/guns-in-the-news-florida-yes-now-forever/
3 Likes

True "Wild West’ mentality meant that there was law and order or outlaws were dealt with in a timely manner. They weren’t released like they are now in some places for political reasons. There wasn’t the widespread looting and rioting in the Wild West as you have today. The problem is not people having guns and being able to defend themselves but Trump haters like the mayor of Miami Beach Dan Gelber, a Democrat, who no doubt relies on armed protection that he doesn’t want others to have. The whole problem is political.
If people want to protest fine, just don’t do it around me. where I work, shop, go to church or school. Disrupting my life with your so-called protest is trampling my rights under foot.

3 Likes

A great article and very bold Governor. Well done! Hopefully our governor, Abbott, here in TX will do the same and our state house/senate will get it drafted up to be signed into law as well.

4 Likes

We need more leaders like Gov. DeSantis!

5 Likes

I agree with you—Gov DeSantis is great. We moved from Oregon to Florida. That says it all.

8 Likes

Welcome to the team @Lucygal! We’re glad to have you!

1 Like

Welcome @Lucygal!

Moved to FL from MN a few years ago. Also used to live in CA. It’s a good time to be here in FL.

3 Likes

I am a 25+ year Florida resident. Glad our Governor is making some good choices! The Civil Rights Attorney who stated that he believes that this will infringe on First Amendment rights of protestors, should understand that what is being proposed allows for peaceful protests, however violent protests will not be tolerated. As it should be everywhere! When it’s stated “These are not mobs running around the streets…” That’s exactly right & the intent is to keep it that way.

5 Likes

Welcome @Wendy10!

And excellent point. We’re not against peaceful protesting and the proposed law does not change that.

2 Likes

Welcome to the team @Wendy10! We’re glad to have you!

1 Like

NY to FL here…180 degrees difference. Have to keep FL the way it is…some trying to change it. I tell people, if you like strict gun laws, high taxes and nice weather…maybe California is for you…not FL. I almost bought the shirt, Don’t New York my Florida :slight_smile: Stay well!!

1 Like