Gun Registration Pros & Cons

Hi All,

My state does not require registration for guns. That being said, are there any pros or cons for doing so?

Thanks in advance!

There are no Pros from my point of view.

Tell me again how many criminals are going to register their weapons they steal or buy on the black market.

No it will not make it easier to return a recovered stolen weapon to its rightful owner because it will be stuck in evidence for years, maybe forever if used to cause a death (got to love the appeals process good or bad).

14 Likes

Agreed. Zero pros

11 Likes

No pros. All cons.

11 Likes

No pros, been thinking about it for over 60+ years, haven’t thought of a single pro to gun registration.

12 Likes

Firearms are not Regulated items but they are Restricted items. When they go from Restricted to Regulated then all manner of things will fly from Pandora’s Box. Registration leads to Confiscation in almost ALL instances. VA was a near miss on suppressors this last legislative cycle. All suppressors in VA are controlled not only through the Feds for the Tax stamp but also through the state police (I am a little fuzzy on LLC’s, Corporations and Trusts but the boys in blue know if you have an NFA item) The good Governor had stated that the State Police would be visiting all know suppressor owners if it passed to ensure compliance with the law. The short version is No good can come from it even if it is “To protect the children”

Cheers,

Craig6

14 Likes

Nothing good can come from registration. Ask an Aussie. The governor of my state, Virginia, would just love it. When he decided to LET people with AR’s keep them, he wanted them to be registered. Praise God and the Virginia Citizens Defense Leauge that most of their gun-grabbing bolshivek ideas failed.

12 Likes

Register how? I register mine with the manufacturers to be notified of any recalls/updates.

5 Likes

Oh, if you’re talking about registration with the manufacturer that’s a bit different. It might get you some discounts and alerts for any kind of manufacturer recalls or fixes. Currently I’m sure manufacturers don’t share those databases I’m sure but who knows what they might be compelled to do in the future.

I agree, with others. Nothing good can come of registering your guns with any government agency (you can ask the residents of New Orleans after Katrina as well about that). That just puts a big ol target on your back for taxation or confiscation (IMO).

8 Likes

Always a bad idea.

7 Likes

Registration is used to tax them until they take them…

7 Likes

I register with the manufacturer and that’ll be the ONLY register I do. I do believe it’s against or constitutional rights to register them with three government.

4 Likes

There are no pros to registration, which is exactly why I took steps to become exempt from Michigan’s psuedo registration.

5 Likes

The whole idea is a con, itself.

I can’t think of any pros of registering a firearm…
No offense guys!

7 Likes

If you bought your firearm from an FFL, it’s already registered to you as the guns serial number is in the FFL paperwork.

If you’ve bought your firearm privately or had it gifted from a family member, there’s a good chance it would not registered to you - except in those states that require FFL transfers for all firearm purchases.

9 Likes

No pros, at all. If our government was replete with men and women of integrity, my answer would still be the same. The Second Amendment is crystal-clear. Registration serves no purpose in bolstering the 2A.

8 Likes

Next time you visit your local gun store ask them who can look at your transfer paperwork. I got some interesting responses… A local or national registry is a bad thing, especially with the number of data breeches we have every year. I do remember a time when our local newspaper would publish a list of residents that applied for a Concealed Carry Permits. Made the news a couple of times before that practice was rescinded. Every-time I petition a local politician on a new gun-bill being introduced, I get on another list. My local doctor wanted to quiz me on gun ownership and I responded “None of your #&@king business.”

5 Likes

No pros, plenty of cons.

5 Likes

The doctors know better than to try to test me, that being said, I’ve help a couple of doctors get into the community. And they were actually wanting help, not to use for nefarious reasons.

4 Likes

I remember Cory Booker and probably others pushing for licensing firearms and registering them. He used automobiles as an example.

Cory was saying that if you can register automobiles and have a license for drivers, why not register or license guns?

I found that In Wisconsin for 2013 there were 114,000 licensing related convictions. This covers things like suspended license, operating without license, or after revocations. This is just one state so you can multiply by 49 more states to see that there are millions of people driving our roads without license, insurance, or other rules of the road.

The normal honest citizen has to pay higher fees to cover these people that are on the road every day. The average driver also has to pay for higher insurance for drivers not following the rules. You can use this as a pattern and see that if the government can’t get this right how will they get a firearm registration correct. The honest gun owner pays for the actions of others.

2 Likes