Gun Owner Demographics

6 Likes

Good info, thanks for sharing.

One thing I noted in the article, that Republican and Republican-leaning folks were twice as likely as Democrat and Democrat-leaning folks to own a firearm. The percentages reported were 44% vs. 20%. While that may confirm the bias that everyone here is a red-hat wearing Trump supporter, the alternative interpretation is that for every 3 people you talk to on this forum, 1 of them leans Democrat.

This caught my attention because we have to remind each other from time to time that you can be a Liberal and support the 2nd Amendment. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that those who don’t support the Bill of Rights cannot appropriately be called “Liberals.”

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if this takes into account the buying over the past year?

Preliminary numbers were showing at least 40% of guns were going to women. The report I saw also said gun buyins was 60% highr for African Americans.

I saw another report that said roughly 2/3 of the American population lives in a home with a gun.

I wish I book marked those for later so I could reference here.

2 Likes

The research is somewhat dated, and I think a sample of people today might show more polarization.
I think the last 4 years have had significant impact on people’s perceptions of guns. I’d like to see how the civil unrest in 2020 and 2021 and the public’s perception of mass shootings has impacted this.

4 Likes

The language used in their descriptions and other issues, including why many in urban areas, such as the Northeast USA, skews their results, summations, and conclusions. Most of the population in the NE is urban and live under very restrictive “gun control” laws that prevent most people from wanting to go through the process and expense of firearm ownership.

I lived in NYS and I knew no one, other than police that owned handguns. It was too expensive and difficult for those in the lower economic strata to obtain a permit to own a handgun. Everyone/household I knew owned at least one rifle and/or shotgun, even those that did not hunt. I now live in the 'burbs and have nowhere to readily shoot a rifle, so now I own handguns. Well, did, until the unfortunate boating accident.

3 Likes

Yes. Not all gun owners lean right.

4 Likes

Drafts!!! They need to make boating more safe.

3 Likes

Interesting information, @KillJoy! We were talking about this in the office the other day and a few other resources were mentioned regarding the influx of new gun owners over the last year or more.

More and more people are realizing that they are their family’s first line of defense. It’s great to see so many new firearm owners and it’s even better when we see so many of them taking classes and spending time on the range learning to shoot safely and accurately.

5 Likes

Well, I thought this was interesting probably because I have experience number crunching data. I worked for an entity that distributed data. Not going to say who. But I was looking for stats on urban verse rural gun owners. It seems that if an enemy country nuked major American cities it would be equivalent to kicking a hornets nest. My brain is always working through scenarios.

2 Likes

Those that lean wrong, miss… :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Illinois State Rifle Association 2020 challenge coin.

2 Likes

Well hopefully this will help in a way…
When our Gun Rights are Infringed upon,
there will be more Responsible Gun Owners that will state,
“I don’t think so!”. The power of people. The masses…
There is no reason a Responsible, Sane, person should not be able to exercise there right.
There is no reason a Responsible, Sane, person should have to register their refrigerator.

3 Likes

Mine was an unfortunate outhouse explosion

1 Like

I am quite sure those numbers are pre COVID. I am a left leaning, combat veteran, firearm owner. Since the lockdowns began I have personally taken over a half dozen friends/ family/ colleagues from the “never own a gun” camp to a range (for my own comfort) & walked them through the purchase process. These individuals run the gamut from my hard right Tea Party father to some way left Wiccan friend of a friend people.

4 Likes