Grip Angle Between Platforms

So I’ve been playing around with the idea of getting a Glock (don’t need to get into that here). This brings up the issue of switching between different grip angles.

I have lots of time with my M&Ps. If I pick up a Glock, am I going to be way off? Or is it a simple transition. Is switching between guns with a similar grip angle an issue. So I believe most guns have an 18 degree grip angle, where glocks have a 23 degree.

My gut says that it’s best to train and carry the same gun period, but this is also a hobby so I like to have fun too :sweat_smile:.

Here’s just an opinion, not mine, but I agree. I own Glocks and 1911.

“Most often the complaint is that the angle of the grip causes shots to go high, because the angle projects the muzzle higher on presentation to the target, so that to correct this, the wrist must be adjusted downward to level the slide and bring the front sight down to align with the rear sights.

While I understand and agree that this is true, I do not agree that this is a problem for the intended use of the firearm, and here is why;

When shooting for defensive purposes, that is , relatively close and fast, the Glock grip angle is actually an aide in quick front sight acquisition, because it naturally brings the front sight up, high enough for an uncluttered focus, that is, that it negates the need to sort thru the back sights to concentrate on the front sight when quick fire methods are used. By quick fire methods, I am referring to any genre of fire where perfect sight alignment is not feasible or necessary, or, a detriment to the intended goal.

The Glock grip angle projects the front sight in a way that is similar in theory and use to a red dot sight, in that it presents the shooter with the need for sight alignment, and allows for an uncluttered, single plane of focus.

While there is is nothing wrong with “ ergonomics “ such as one feels with the grip angles of the 1911, BHP, and other pistols that strive for a grip that feels natural in the hand and brings the rear and front sight in to natural alignment, I feel that the gripe about the Glock grip angle comes from a target shooters perspective instead of a gun fighters perspective.

After many years of various professional training, as I push deeper in to what is relevant and what is not, I find that all that glitters ain’t gold.

This has lead to the epiphany that the “ market “ and industry idea that things like comfort, ergos, and other such “ improvements “ over the Glock are actually throw backs to the concept of target shooting, and actually a detriment to the realistic application of defensive shooting.

I also find this to be true of revolvers, especially single actions with plow handle grips.
All one has to do to prove this is quickly grab a handful of grip, draw and quickly project it out in front of you to prove this, as you will find the muzzle slightly high with the front sight standing proudly in an uncluttered and clear in your focus.

In conclusion, and contrary to popular ideologies of the day, I find that the Glock grip angle is actually one of the strong points of the design for CQB and defensive style shooting where it counts. And at CQB distances, the poi difference is not enough to be of any significance.”

1 Like

You will be good with Glock, if you find it ok in your hands. Then practice make you perfect.

Me personally… ehh, you know it… I just suck shooting Glocks. And it wasn’t simple transition. I just couldn’t hit the target.
My younger son picked up friend’s Glock and hit whole magazine dead center from 30 feet… having Glock in his hands for the very first time…

So everything depends… you can be a great shooter and make a transition in 1 day or 1 week… or never. You can be beginner… and experience the same.

But in my opinion - first touch and first few shots will tell you the truth .

3 Likes

Agreed, the pistol you might end up best with might be the last one you would think of buying.

I started out with a Ruger SR9C, went to Glock, Sig, Walther, H&K, Springfield, Canik, Beretta, S&W, and 1911’s.

Ended up with Glock’s and 1911’s

2 Likes

Have you noticed? Most of shooters, whatever they are comfortable with, don’t have a problem with 1911 :point_up:
I’m OK with 99% non Glock semi autos. Glock has “no go” grip for me, the 1% is buttons or levers bad functionality.

2 Likes

This is really up to the individual. I do not find, not shoot well, Glocks, 1911s or Ruber 22/45 models. I do much better with Walther, Beretta, Sig, and Mark III. I don’t think this is a thing that one should collect votes on to choose. :slight_smile: I tried that and sold everything I was told that I’d love.

2 Likes

Over 30 years ago I bought a 1911 45acp it came with factory grips, after shooting it for awhile I noticed that with my big hands it would rock in my hands during recoil so I changed for a hough grips for the 1911 45acp, it gave me a little thinker grip and finger grooves that fits my lower three fingers like a glove and grip side parts are just right for my palm, so now no rocking and more control during recoil. This is what has been on my gun for over 29 years , I did the same for my wife’s Ruger sp101 ,now with we go shooting we hit the targets with all rounds in a 6 inch grooping at 15 yards this what worked for us.

2 Likes

I am a dedicated 1911 man. I am having no problems dry firing my new Glock. Range time will tell. Maybe you can rent a Glock and try it out.

2 Likes

Only way to know is to give it a try. I might suggest experimenting with the time it takes to acquire the target from some sort of ready position, and see if it makes a big difference. I think the difference in cant will show itself their, while it (Glock) might be beneficial in-between shots.

As a comparison, (IIRC) the high hold I use on my revolver is even more canted than a Glock.

I’ll also mention that the hump on the FS, Compact, and SC all set differently in the hand, so you might want to try the different sizes, too.

1 Like

Interestingly enough, I had zero issue getting a site picture on a Glock. What threw me off is the smaller trigger guard and angle of the trigger.

I’m an M&P guy. I can short a Glock, slowly just fine. Point shooting, quick acquiring of a target, I go high. I’m sure, with a few range trips, the muscle memory would sort itself out

2 Likes

^^^^^^^
I could use Glock to shoot down flies from the ceiling :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

While they are moving!:laughing:

1 Like

I haven’t found that the grip angle difference affects me much though I seem to be able to shoot my Glock faster than other guns I have tried. Perhaps due to the grip angle. If a shoot my Glock a bunch and switch to my little Sig I tend to shoot a couple inches lower with the Sig at 10 yards for the first mag or so. But I think this is due to the Sig combat style sites vs the Glock target style. I have to remember to cover the target with the Sig sight vs perching it on top of the Glock site.

1 Like

I have had to adjust my grip when shooting my Ruger American pro. It’s a deep “v” and requires me to place the backstrap directly into the “v” if my dominant hand. With my Glocks the backstrap sits a bit left of the “v” This works for my hands & may not help you at all but try it. it may make a big difference

2 Likes

To the original question YES grip angle makes a 'UGE difference in point-ability as does what I call “seating depth”. All of my 1911’s are cut for deep beaver tails which drop my hand further into the gun resulting in more control-ability of the recoil aiding in faster follow up shots point shooting blah, blah, blah. I played with Glock’s a lot when they came out and in slow sighted fire I could ring the heart out of the X with them but in go fast I was blowing rounds overt the target at 7 yards. I was invested in training and platform into the 1911 and I could not legitimately make the jump from the 1911 that I could be handed to go down range with to a plastic gun that was just getting started.

When I was forced to learn the M-9 (Beretta 92 Series) my FIL was transitioning from the S&W 6906 to the Glock 17 only 2 years after coming off a S&W K frame revolver with “cup and saucer” grip. Needless to say both of us were fish out of water and having the benefit of a few cans of 115gr 9m ammo that someone left in the parking lot :roll_eyes: we proceeded to teach each other how to shoot our respective platforms. I was happy to find out that with my “blindfold test” that my carry gun still pointed where it was supposed to even if I learned to use my off hand thumb to get the safety off. My FIL was rather disappointed that he would no longer be able to carry his beloved Colt Commander as he was chasing acorns.

I’ve been playing with my new magazine compliant Glock 43X and find I’m still a bit high but I have yet to get a finger gripper for it as I have big palms and need a bit of a filler on most guns. Guns are tools and if you are in the business of using tools you know that the tool handed you the first time is your comparison to every tool there after. It doesn’t matter if it’s a screwdriver, hammer, saw, jack hammer, Ditch Witch, backhoe or excavator. Everything is in comparison to “what you learned on”. Do I wish I learned on a Glock? NO! There are a lot more gun makers that followed J. Browning’s design in 1900 than followed a curtain maker from Austria, had he known about Mr. Browning the world would only speak Glock.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

I think too much is made of grip angles. When I pick up one of my Walthers, Sigs, Rugers or M&Ps I know what it is because I have trained with each one. Maybe it makes a difference in highly competitive shooting or if you have a contributing physical issue.

2 Likes

I think it may be a Glock only issue. Most other platforms have similar angles.

When you go from a Glock to another platform it’s not uncommon to end up with the front sights dipping.

Having both Glock and M&P, I will say I can pick up either platform and run it fine though. Trigger probably makes a bigger difference.

1 Like