Governor of VA threatens to invoke gun accessory ban after latest mass shooting

I live near Virginia Beach Virginia, the latest victim to fall to a mass shooting that took 12 innocent lives on May 13, 2019. The shooter used hand guns equipped with a suppressor (silencer) and a high capacity magazine. One week later the Governor of VA has issued a call back of state representatives to discuss and invoke his plan to ban suppressors, high capacity magazines, and initiate universal background checks. Does this man not know that criminals can purchase these items on the internet or from neighboring states? Again, law abiding citizens must be warry of having their second amendment rights infringed on because a democratic leader, who is not pro-gun, is attempting to strike “while the iron is hot” and with no actual thought on how to stop violent gun crimes (except to ban similar equipment used for these murders!). Did I mention that this horrific crime occurred in yet another gun-free local government office building? Mr. Governor, How about spending that wasted time (and money) on how we can better teach our children in school to honor their parents and teachers, respect law enforcement officers, or just respect life instead of being offended by everything or helping them to make sexual orientation decisions as young as age 5! Its no wonder we are raising a generation that sees the last mass murder event as something to beat!

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community, @VA-Life! I’ve been hearing quite a bit about the aftermath in VA. Here are a couple of other threads you may be interested in (and may find as equally frustrating due to the nature of the beast):

2 Likes

Thank you Dawn for posting “the facts”. Guess I should have done similarly instead of just blowing off steam. I like many others are frustrated at the absurd thoughts of gun control. If our governing legislative bodies ever get into thinking about crime prevention in lieu of gun control, maybe we might actually stop these horrific slaughtering events.

2 Likes

I hear you! And better to blow off steam in type and be able to refocus. Check out those other conversations, @VA-Life, you’ll find some kindred spirits. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The reason I never believe that safety is the primary concern is ALL politicians lean towards the same fix. Punish law abiding citizens. If they really wanted to begin to crack down on this epidemic then they would be open to other suggestions and look at facts and come to their own unbiased opinions. However that has not proven to be the case. I don’t know how many laws this individual broke but I’ll venture to say at least a handful. One more law isn’t gonna stop it, nothing will stop a determined individual from committing a heinous act like this. However there are ways to deter, minimize the damage and effects these cowards are causing. I’m not suggesting more guns. I’m suggesting more freedom for individuals to protect themselves. It’s beyond maddening to be disarmed due to policies in work places or other businesses just to then be told well that didn’t work let’s disarm you more.

Until these “law makers” stop hiding behind armed security guards and armored motorcades I’m not interested in how they will keep me safe.

1 Like

I’m close to the VA state line and keep with with the politics here and there. Northam doesn’t have the authority to call them into session with a particular cause. I hope that they remind him of this, if they show. In other words, political grandstanding at it’s finest.

1 Like

Suppressors cannot be shown to increase the use of firearms in crimes. It’s just another excuse to chip away at our gun rights.

2 Likes

Once again, when someone does something bad, those with the desire to regulate rush right out to punish the uninvolved. :rage:

4 Likes

@Zee

If the goal is Public Safety, they would push for far tougher criminal charges and sentencing for those charged with crimes involving the use of ANY violence. Gun related or not. I’m not a huge fan of mandatory sentencing, but if the goal is Public Safety, go for the criminals. Not the law abiding Citizenry.

All of these “gun control” are for control. Not for public safety. It’s just an attempt to take advantage of the emotional aftermath.