Full-Time RV living and concealed carry?

So trying to navigate how to get a CCP from SD (pennington county) while not domiciling there. We are legal residents of SD yet stay in our RV in Nebraska. Nebraska will not issue us a permit even though we have taken and passed the CHP class and are certified through 88 Tactical.
Pennington County sheriff’s offices website states you have to have domiciled in Pennington county for at least 30 days even if you are a legal resident.
Just trying to do this legally!


This was a significant issue for me in my younger days since I was doing temporary work in various states and was never anywhere long enough to establish residency. Took me awhile before I was anywhere long enough to get my first firearm and even longer before I could get a license.

Any reason for not establishing Nebraska residency? Some states actually legally require establishing residency if you are there for a certain length of time.

Otherwise maybe a visit back to SD is in order to get the licenses?


Try to get an out of state CCL from a state that has reciprocity.


Hello and welcome @Jeffery_A .
I full time with my CCW in a State that has reciprocity with my legal address which currently is the same State at the moment.



Get a UT nonresident permit. See if 88tactical could do it for you.

1 Like
1 Like

I never gave them permission to take a photo of my home!:grinning:


Your predicament is what happens when you have to ask permission of government bureaucrats to exercise a basic Constitutionally guaranteed right.

You will always have to wonder whether the CCW statute is right, whether the sheriff is right, whether the deputy that arrests you is right, whether you’ve kept up with the change legal landscape (federal, state and local), whether your firearm’s magazine capacity runs afoul of one the states or counties or cities you pass through , etc. etc.


Welcome Jeffery

1 Like

If your full-time RV why not just find an excuse to stay the 30 days?

Thank you

We live full time in our RV but have regular jobs in Nebraska. We aren’t retired and able to travel. Just sold the house at the top of the market and had a motorhome to live in already. Couldn’t claim residence in Nebraska without a permanent residence. You can only do that in 3 states, SD, TX, FL. So we are now residents of SD but actually live in Nebraska.


Great Info! Mike Rounds is our Representative I will reach out and see what his thoughts are on it moving forward and how we can help.


I will add information here for those that are thinking just get a UT permit. To get said UT permit, you are required to have a permit in your state of residence first. Previously that was not the case, but UT changed the law 6 or 8 years ago. There are exceptions for a few states to that rule, but SD would not be one.

  • Non-resident proof of permit. If you reside in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah CFP or has reciprocity with Utah, you must obtain a CFP or CCW from your home state and submit a copy of it with your application for a Utah permit. For a list of reciprocal states click here. You are considered a resident of whichever state issued your ID. If your state does not recognize the Utah permit this does not apply.



Thanks, @MarkinMT
I didn’t notice that requirement because I applied for a UT permit at the same time I first qualified for my CA resident permit.