Friday Favorite - throwback: Toy Guns

We did have cool toy guns back in the late 50 - 60s. We had the cap guns that you put the roll of caps in and blasted away. This is my sister and you can see the gun and outfit she had. She was quite the tom boy. Now she has terminal TDS and is quite the liberal, and anti gun. Love her anyway.

6 Likes

Crossman 760.
2 or 3 pump max (can’t remember which any more) and a 5 count head start…RUN… one thousand 1, one thousand 2…
:grin:

4 Likes

OH that’s just BAD. For shame! We were naughty as children… Thank God He didn’t stop with us there.

2 Likes

Big Wheel and BB gun…

6 Likes

@TexasEskimo
But wouldn’t you rather have a participation trophy and a get in free pass to the land of entitlement than a bb gun…

1 Like

@Greg35, not @TexasEskimo, but:
“I don’t know, I’ve never known anything else.”
A bb gun and a vast marshland in the north bay area could get you far.
During the 1960s, across the fields and marshes, Hamilton AFB was home to a pursuit wing of fighter jets, and the boom of cracking the sound barrier was not a regular thing, but we’d heard it often. Carrying a gun, making like a rabbit around the brush, out in the wetlands, seemed to be the thing to do. I’d spend hours gone disappearing 50 feet out the back door and not seen again, having traveled 3,4 miles before coming back in.

There was a time I thought I was going to retire in my parents’ house along that river and do very much the same thing I did as a child. Maybe someday soon, here or somewhere that makes cents as well as sense.

So, that other thing? I can’t imagine it.

4 Likes

Big Wheel so 60’s. Big Green Machine so much cooler.

51rlBncRvhL.AC_SY400

5 Likes

I nearly killed myself on one of these. Proof that God looks out for idiots and small children. I happened to have hit both.

3 Likes

I had both toy guns and candy cigarettes.

It’s a wonder I survived.

3 Likes

Full roll of caps hit with a rock and the guns that spun a spark throwing disk every time the trigger was pulled. That and a pocket full of black cat fire crackers and I was ready for a day out. :thinking::thinking::woozy_face::cowboy_hat_face:

Did somebody say Jart?!

2 Likes

Candy cigarettes. Those were great. We won’t see those again. …now it’s, uh, Kale chips :nauseated_face:

1 Like

I remember playing Jarts in the front and back yard. One circle in the front and one in the back, throwing them OVER the house.

Now those were the days

Don

Edit:

Dad didn’t like it when we didn’t clear the roof. something about rain. Never understood that, the sun was always shining when we played.

5 Likes

@DBrogue - We still have a set of those Jarts. They were outlawed because of the metal point, but it was a cool game I thought. It is a great game when used properly.
I can see someone going crazy with you throwing them over the house though. It is interesting that we all survived our childhood.

3 Likes

I’m sad for my kids, they couldn’t play real toys :pensive:

My toys:

jartsold

Their toys:
jartsnew

seems to be the same… but they don’t…
What is going on with this World? We build stronger, more destructive weapons and forbid “dangerous” ( :wink: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :zipper_mouth_face: :grimacing:) toys …

Pictures taken from internet, not actual my jarts

2 Likes

I’ll bet they dont even play mumbly peg between classes any more…!!!

3 Likes

Kid + knife… :scream:
:innocent: :wink: :joy:

beto jarts

6 Likes

I remember having a battery powered version of Han Solo’s blaster. The one that he used to gun down the bounty hunter in cold blood with in the first movie.

I also remember playing with a cap gun replica of an MP5SD though at the time, as kids, we all thought it was an AK-47. I also remember an all-black Uzi water gun. None of which had orange tips.

2 Likes

#HanShotFirst :laughing:

I’m curious how many born in the 80’s til now have a clue what mumblety peg is?

1 Like