Friday Favorite - throwback: Toy Guns

The topic posted earlier this week, Something for the USCCA office, reminded me of all of the fun toy guns we had as kids (and adults, I’m not going to lie :wink: ).

What was your favorite toy gun as a kid?

• Soft Dart Guns
  • Cap Guns
  • Water Guns
  • Paintball guns
  • Laser Guns
  • Other please list below

0 voters

Do you remember when you got your favorite toy gun?

I didn’t add BB or pellet gun to the list because they aren’t exactly toys. They can both hurt people. “You’ll shoot your eye out.” :wink:

5 Likes

voted cap guns. but I also had these weighted things that you throw are put a cap or two in and when it landed on the head pop went the cap.

7 Likes

I remember those. Also had some designed to look like hand grenades. Might actually been some decommissioned handgranades that were repurposed. Lots of fun.

3 Likes

this is what I had

9 Likes

We used to get these too:

8 Likes

I voted other…My brother and I used to have these really cool toy M16s and during the winter time we’d put our big heavy “GI Joe coats” (grayish green heavy coat with the hood that had the gray fur-stuff around the outside) and go play war and try and track each other in the snow and have all kinds of adventures.

When you pulled the trigger it engaged some kind of wheel/rattle mechanism inside of it (like a playing card on the spokes of a bike with a clothespin, but ya’ll don’t know nutthin bout that :slight_smile: ) to make the firing sound…man I loved that gun.

My brother and I got more than a couple woopins from taking them off the shelf at KMart and running around shooting each other with them in the aisles…aaah, the good ol days.

(ours didn’t have the little orange plug)

5 Likes

When I was little growing up kids had sort of real looking Springfield rifles the bolt worked there was a trigger, sights, made from wood. Now probably it would be offensive to certain demographics. There were cowboy guns modeled after .45 cal 6 guns, also other rifle toys that were wood with medal barrels that were lever-action. Again probably maybe/probably offensive to some demographics. Back in the 1950’s and very early 1960’s believe it or not families watched TV together, there was no such thing as a remote control. The kids will get up and change channels, they were human remote controllers. There was 5 channels 2-5-7-9-11 and that’s all. Later on there was 32 UHF. Times were much more simple.

6 Likes

Other. I have to answer BB gun anyway. When I grew up, in the 60’s, it’s all we had. No one died, no one had their eyes blown out. The “AR” of my generation was a pellet gun.

8 Likes

You can laugh if you want to but the following is true.

Only two of those on the list were around when I was a kid, and the water (squirt) guns were not allowed at my house. My mother was VERY VERY afraid of water and to this day can not splash water on her face. She only uses a damp wash cloth. I was in my late teens the first time I ever used one.

Now cap guns on the other hand were very popular (Roy Rodgers and Dale Evens dont ya know) and were great until we found dad’s hammer. A roll of caps and the hammer made a bigger BANG!

7 Likes

I well remember Don @DBrogue Hammer and Capgun roll on the sidewalks (or) capgun roll and magnifying glass on a sunny summer’s day. Right!?

6 Likes

Had the whole collection when I was a kid.

3 Likes

Home made mix of crossbow and slingshot. We shot staple nails like this
nail

:smirk:

6 Likes

Cap bombs! I remember those, they were fun!

I put water pistol because you never ran out of ammo. The cap gun was fun but getting ammo… yeah not on my folks’ priorities.

We had a Wham-o Air Blaster… that was fun!

And… laser guns and paintball…um… no such thing when I was growing up.

The air blaster:

5 Likes

@Zee I remember those. If I set cards like that on the floor my brother May have come by and kick it down however. Does anyone older remember the Popiel pocket fisherman by Ronco ?

2 Likes

I want one. I’d put it in my get home bag :grin:

1 Like

@Zee like everything, I bet they’re still out there. I’m going to keep my eyes open for you.

1 Like

Dude, totally right. Found one on ebay!

1 Like

See anything is possible in America. Nothing is impossible. :scream::scream::smile::smile::smile:
I’m happy for you.

1 Like

All I really remember is having cap guns and water pistols. Cap guns could be used all year long.

4 Likes

@Zee

How about one like this?

3 Likes