Gun topic but not SD. Who’s into oldies?

If this belongs somewhere else maybe the admin can move to the correct forum. I love old guns and I’m alway looking for “shooters”. Usually not pristine examples but guns that maybe need a little TLC to make them fully functional again and get them back to the range. Anyone else?

Show’em if you got’em…

Here’s my latest. Early 1900s Marlin ‘94 in 32-20. Needed a LOT of cleaning and a screw or two replaced. Took 100 years of grime and old grease off it and put together some hand loads for hunting this year.

Full disassembly

Back together, squeaky clean, freshly lubed and with some replacement parts.

Touched up the stock with Howard’s.

Hunting load with 100gr Remington JSP bullets running about 1,900 FPS.
Should be perfect for local deer.

11 Likes

Nice! I have been wanting an old Winchester lever rifle and one of the old pump shotguns for a while. Wood and steel, classic.

1 Like

Yep! I love modern handguns and I’m very fond of my new tech guns BUT, there is nothing like a classic, especially one that is still going bang regularly!

And, based on your “wanting” you’re going to love my next two posts… :sunglasses:

But I’d like to see other’s toys first. Don’t want to be then only one hogging the thread. I get a lot of joy out of seeing other folks treasures, big or small. Maybe sore family heirlooms too :+1:

3 Likes

Not a Winchester, but…

3 Likes

16 ga. “CHAMPION” made by IVER JOHNSON, ARMS and CYCLE WORKS
FITCHBURG MASS. U.S.A.
This was my Dads first gun when he was 15 (about 1953) he killed his first bear that fall with a load of buckshot. The gun works fine, I have hunted rabbits and partridge with it. I think of him every time I take it out. :us:

5 Likes

Not mine, yet. Hopefully it won’t be for some time, since it’s been left to me in my dads will. Colt Police Positive, circa 1978

He also has a Glenfield Marlin Model 60. After a little love, it’s a great shooter. Now, for a little restoration.

5 Likes

I Love old Marlins and Winchesters!!!:heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

Those old single shots are nicer guns and better made than many modern ones! So glad you’re still in use. What a great memory maker!

1 Like

May it be a loooong time before you get it! Great gun!

3 Likes

I saw Enemy At The Gates and got curious about Mosin Nagants.
I bought a Chinese T53 so I can learn a few things about guns in general without costing me precious money.

6 Likes

My Grandpa gave my this one when I was about 12 years old. I shoot it a couple of times a year . I’m pretty much just waiting to give it to Will, he’s two now so another 10 years or so. As near as I can tell it is a 1912 build. I believe the wood is original. The only part that isn’t original is the spring tube, I had to buy a new one a few years back.

5 Likes

And just like that I can’t like you anymore. :rofl:

I’ve been wanting one of those for YEARS!!!

3 Likes

That’s a raght purdy far-arm you got there. I lack how the holes are raght close one t’other.

2 Likes

I love all things that are blued steel or parkerized and wrapped in walnut. My oldest functional is a Smith Carbine in 50 Cal. FIL has a 2 band and 3 band SA rifles with a fist full of bayonets. He also has a Winny 45-90 lever gun from way back when that I gave a once over to and replaced a few tired springs and boogered screws. I’ve got an LC Smith double bbl 12GA from my grandfather that I cannot afford to restore. There’s even a muzzle loading 12ga (ish) muzzle loader that has hung over the mantle for for more decades than I have been alive. I had it looked at once and it was of new england manufacture from somewhere between 1750 and 1840. The lock mechanism still works with double set triggers.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

For an ol’gal she’s a shooter! :grin:

For you I present, the All-American Survival kit. All original Winchester 1897 12ga pump with the external hammer and Winchester 1894 in .30WCF (or 30-30 as it’s known today. Both guns are from around 1918 or so. Both in perfect working condition.

5 Likes

This is my 1943 Remington model 11. I’ve cleaned her up since this picture was taken. Had to replace the follower, trigger, and hammer springs, but she now works like a champ. I may upload pictures later…I can’t get in the safe currently because I’m scared of waking the wife, but another in my collection is a Stevens A&T model 235 that may not be worth much to most, but I’ll never part with it anyway. I’ve got a couple old wingmasters, a Winchester model 41, and a sears 20ga sxs in there somewhere as well…I have this thing for shotguns…

5 Likes

Love it! I am jealous.

1 Like

I had this pic posted on another thread and thot it might be of interest.

4 Likes

I have posted this one somewhere else on the forum but it sort of fits in here. A Remington model 1858 made in 1863. Unfortunately it will never fire again. But it is actually in remarkable shape considering where the previous owner “stored” it for the last 100 plus years.

I love old firearms and the history that goes along with them. But the only old functioning firearm I own is an H&R top break .22 made in the early 1930s. Got it for dirt cheap and in pretty rough shape but a good cleaning got it up and running again.

6 Likes