Friday Favorite: Folding Knife

Good old Buck knives. I have two back in Idaho for new blades. Lifetime warranties. Well made.

5 Likes

Benchmade is definitely a quality brand, @MikeBKY. I carry their Mini Griptilion with a blackened, serrated, Tanto blade. Iā€™ve loved other knives that Iā€™ve owned, but there was always a particular situation where I wanted some feature that it didnā€™t have, like a serrated section, or a really sharp tip. This one does everything I need it to do.

The manual opening was stiff when I first got it. After many open/closes my thumb was nearly wrecked. I put a small drop of Hoppeā€™s gun oil on the action and that made all the difference. Itā€™s been fine ever since, going on two years now.

5 Likes

Very true. When I work in the hospital, I donā€™t carry my usual knives, I carry a bench made bugout green micarta with black blade. Itā€™s light, durable, sharp and not threatening.

3 Likes

I have carried a Buck hunter for 30 years. A few years ago, I broke the tip on it. I sent it back and they asked me if it had sentimental value, and for me it didntā€™, so they sent me a brand new oneā€¦A couple months ago I had to buy a new sheath for it. I love that knife, but I have been cheating on it a little lately because Iā€™ve been carrying a gerber multitool knife sometimesā€¦LMAO.

5 Likes

I carry the Leatherman Surge and use it everyday for something. I really have no need for a just a cutting knife.

4 Likes

Itā€™s amazing what a little gun oil can do. I agree with having the combination blade. I really like the tanto blade on the Benchmade.
And if the folding knife isnā€™t enough, the big blades come out to play!image

7 Likes

More often than not, a USA made Schrade Old Timer Stockman but being as Iā€™m down to my last three USA made Old TImers (a long story :roll_eyes:) Iā€™ll opt for my forty + year old Buck Folding Hunter, or a Spyderco Rescue I carried on SAR posse call outs. I also keep a S&W Border Guard in the glove box.
OTOH, camping generally calls for a SAK (mainly for the corkscrew and bottle opener) and my trusty Opinel No.8 for making sandwiches

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, what are some of the knife laws in your states / cities? Can you open carry? Is there a limit on blade length or assisted open? Do you know what the laws are without looking them up (I had to ask Sheriff Google).

4 Likes

In Kentucky, deadly weapons include ā€œ[a]ny knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.ā€ There is no definition of ā€œan ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife.ā€
Our concealed carry permits and constitutional carry apply to all deadly weapons.

5 Likes

In Illinois it is confusingā€¦ perhaps @MikeBKY would be able to make a proper interpretation for us.
With my understanding Iā€™m carrying folding knife with blade below 3".

However knife carried legally by one person, may be considered illegal on another due to an intent to cause harm or commit any unlawful act.

5 Likes

I looked at the Illinois knife and gun laws in preparation for the USCCA Expo. I will say that pocket/folding knives with blades under 3 inches are not a problem.
Automatic knives are illegal and I would be concerned that spring assisted knives are also illegal. Knives 3 inches and over (folding or fixed blade) are not banned except on publicly funded properties.
This all assumes that there is no intent to break the law when in possession of the knife.

4 Likes

my favorite folding knife to throw in my pocket daily was a 4ā€™ clip point butterfly knife until it was stolen when someone broke into my car one night. lightweight, sharp ,quick to open. unfortunately my state has become a casualty of the occupation by enemies of the US. SO THEY ARE CLASSIFIED ILLEGAL NOW. how does that make any sense? so now my toss in my pocket and forget about till needed is a benchmade mini tanto with thumbstud.

3 Likes

Illinois is confusing. If you have a FOID card, you can have a ā€œswitchbladeā€ knife.

3 Likes

In IL there is a patch work of knife laws. A knife legal in my county may be illegal in a city in that county. If I donā€™t know what ā€œknife law zonesā€ I will be traveling through I usually play it safe with a folder with a blade under 2.75 inches.

5 Likes

KnifeupDOTcom is a great resource sort of wish USCCA and them could work together.

Alabama law is weird. Bowie knifes are strictly verboten (forbidden). Bowie knives are liberally interpretated to be any single edged blade from butter knife through machete size. Dual edged dagger any length is legal. Can carry a 6 foot double edged sword if I chose, itā€™s not illegal, Iā€™m sure I would get a police visit.

Can have a sword cane but only on own property, most other knife types as well. I EDC 2 Kerambit daggers.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve never studied up, but Iā€™ve long had the impression that knife laws are a 200-year-old patchwork of local legislatorsā€™ phobias.

I rather wish 2A advocates would take a stand along these lines. If a city can ban types of bladed arms, then that power would certainly extend to firearms, wouldnā€™t it? Conversely, if the 2A protects my right to carry a pistol for self- defense, then why not an assisted-open folding knife?

4 Likes

Itā€™s my understanding that if you are in Chicago, the limit is 2.5". I donā€™t think there is an issue outside of the city though. FOID card required for automatic knives in the general state, IIRC.

6 Likes

Same. I have the lockback and the auto. Great knives.

3 Likes

I carry a multiple tool and a folding knife. I also carry a fixed blade.

3 Likes

A Fox 479 is lovely. With a Benchmark Outlast 365 along for the ride I feel comfortably optioned.

4 Likes