Friday Favorite: 1911

The 1911 is an American classic that continues to turn heads, and rightfully so.

One of the big reasons it turns some heads is how it’s designed to be carried: chamber loaded, hammer back, frame safety engaged. That is how John Browning designed the pistol to be carried, and who are we to argue with him?

What is your favorite 1911 and why?

2 Likes

I thought all of the safeties (as well as the 45 caliber and arched MSH… and maybe the bushing) were added on by request of the US military?

Colt 1902 Military (38 ACP); top. Interesting note is the absence of a slide stop on the sporting version (along with a shorter grip/less capacity, different hammer, and no lanyard); bottom:

4 Likes

My Ruger 1911 Commander (9), It really just performs smoother than virtually any other firearm I have. And, looks pretty awesome as well.

6 Likes

I don’t have favourite 1911 brand, all are great. Expensive models are ready out of the box, others become great after few tweaks.
I’m lefty, so have special requirements for 1911.
I like Rock Island, these are not expensive and easy to adjust.
I’d like to own Wilson Combat, but they cost too much and are so perfectly done that I’d afraid to make any modifications.
Right now I’m waiting for new Dan Wesson DWX, which is kind of 1911 with CZ 75 modifications which allow this handgun to be 100% lefty friendly.

3 Likes

I love the 1911.
I carry a Sig commander length with a crimson trace grip (that I never remember to turn on), a Sig Govt. with a Trijicon RMR, and a couple of Kimbers (.45 and 10mm).
I can think of no other firearm that has maintained as consistent a following over that length of time.
One thing I’ve noticed–new shooters of all sizes (big guys to little gals) all shoot the 1911 better than any other centerfire gun they try. It’s such a natural shooter.

4 Likes

The ones chambered in .45. :grin:. Of the ones I’ve shot, a friend has a sweet Kimber with grips made from wood he brought back from a mission trip to Uganda.

3 Likes

What kind of adjustments have you had to make to an RIA? I’m waiting on the one I ordered at a local shop to finally arrive.

Colt lightweight commander. .38 super.

1 Like

A favorite would be tough, very tough.

My daily carry for over a decade was a Kimber Compact Stainless. Divorce sale, sadly.
Then I carried my full size Springfield Armory Loaded, my previous competition gun.
I also have a Sig 1911 Scorpion (full size) that I got for competition. I was curious about the external extractor, purchased when the Scorpion came out in 2011. Well over 30k rounds, and it just runs all day long.

The Ruger would be my choice as well, in 10mm

Greg...

@John150,
Check this:

This is a great documentation how to improve / tweak Rock Island 1911 (single stack and double stack)

1 Like

I had to polish mine a bit to fix a feed problem. Haven’t had an issue since. I have it tinkered to match a standard Army issue, except for the Rock Island stamp on the slide.

1 Like

EDC carry. In .38 Superb is my current favorite. I put a flat trigger on it after this picture was taken.

4 Likes

My bedside companion

3 Likes

@Jerzees beat me to it. I still have a few things left to document on the enhancements to my RIA but it is rapidly coming to the point where there is little left to improve. I just haven’t had the time to go through the internals to my normal degree of intimacy. I have some fit and finishing work to do, I may have jumped the gun on getting the lower coated as I didn’t do my ramp and throat job before hand but that may be a good thing. The mag well step is an ooops as it has been 20 years since I did a full on custom build and I forgot. I need to give the hammer a hair cut but I want to swap parts inside to see if I can UP the trigger pull before I determine that i have to replace it.

When doing custom modifications one should always have an eye on what effects what as that is the time wen things get spendy or uncomfortable.

Ultimately I will have the slide and all the external bits sent to DOA for a coat of Carbon Black and forward serrations but I need to check clearances and such on the moving parts to ensure I don’t screw anything up finish wise. As with most of my guns I will make it pretty and perfect ONCE. Then I will treat it like a red headed step child and beat the He!! out of it until or if it fails and go from there.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

@Dawn–do you shoot a 1911? I hear you speak about your sig mostly. Just curious!

@Craig6, you did great job so far. Please, whenever you make any changes, update the thread. It is valuable source of knowledge.
:+1:

@Jerzees I will the wife is semi locked down (she want’s me time) and I’ve had some issues with my other hobby (blown head gasket) so leaving a functioning albeit not perfect 1911 alone for a bit is working for me because the bits I am getting into are VERY precise and will take the gun down until done. Now if you want a tutorial on a 351 Windsor motor swap in a 1977 Ranchero from a 96 Bronco I can be your guy!

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

@Craig6 :+1: … I stick to the firearms. :wink:

I do! I love our Smith & Wesson 1911! It’s great for shooting league or target shooting. It’s too big and heavy for me to carry.

But it is a fabulous weapon. :slight_smile:

3 Likes