Foreshadow of What a Mandatory Semi-Automatic Rifle Buy Back Will Look Like?

1000 out of 280,000 - 520,000 bumpstocks have been turned in since being deemed illegal. And the left thinks John and Jane America will simply turn in their semi-automatic rifles (e.g. AR15s, AR10’s, AK47s, etc)?

They obviously haven’t thought this out very well.

Bump Stock Ban Failure

(a couple excerpts from the article)

The federal government collected fewer than 1,000 bump stocks during the run-up to a new ban in March, despite estimates that hundreds of thousands of the devices that mimic machine gun fire are in circulation, according to federal data provided to The Washington Times by the Justice Department.

As the nation marked the second anniversary Oct. 1 of the Las Vegas massacre, which prodded the Trump administration to ban bump stocks, the numbers offer a cautionary tale on the scope and resources needed to enforce any sort of gun buyback program.

Between the issuance of the final rule banning the devices in December 2018 and April 4, 2019, shortly after the prohibition took effect in late March, 582 bump stocks were “abandoned” to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, according to Justice Department records, and 98 bump stocks were kept as evidence.

The Times obtained the records through a Freedom of Information Act request.

The administration cited estimates that 280,000 to 520,000 bump-stock-type devices were in circulation when it published the final rule in December.

The Washington State Patrol reported in late March that about 1,000 bump stocks were turned in as part of a local buyback program before funds were exhausted.

Still, the 582 number suggests many people are simply choosing to hoard their devices, said Alan Gottlieb, founder of the Second Amendment Foundation.

“There’s a significant feeling of ‘will not comply’ with gun confiscation-type laws on one hand, and on the other hand quite honestly, most gun owners probably don’t know that you were supposed to turn them in or destroy them and so they’re just keeping them anyway,” Mr. Gottlieb said.

“I’ve traveled around the country since this was put into effect, and I don’t know anybody that had one that turned one in,” he said.

3 Likes

on the other hand quite honestly, most gun owners probably don’t know that you were supposed to turn them in or destroy them and so they’re just keeping them anyway,” Mr. Gottlieb said.

Most gun owners didn’t know… I believe more often than not a gun owner knows more about gun laws than a non gun owner.

3 Likes

I think they are playing the long game… a ban is passed and for the most part it is ignored by current owners. The gun grabbers know that going door to door will end badly… but they have stopped any new sales. The existing guns (or bump stocks) will eventually fall into their hands a few at a time.

2 Likes