Fore Grip or Vertical Grip?

How many rounds fired in what duration of time are we talking about here?

What exact rifle(s)/setup?

@Nathan57 I don’t have a round count or a time line as it was on a two way range. I am given to understand that it was pretty “sporty” on several occasions. I have personally warmed mine up to more than uncomfortable on several occasions and in different locations.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

If it offends you I’ll take it down, but it’s been personally told to me as SOP when clearing an objective by multiple (CIB) veterans. You may consider taking it down as well if it is that offensive

Edit: How many rounds in what timeframe are we talking about here?

This is one of the big reasons I want to try a grip as well. I broke my wrist a long while ago. My wrist works fine, but it has been slightly less comfortable to supinate the wrist as far as it is necessary to hold a rifle:

1 Like

It all depends on the situation & mission orders. During the initial push in Iraq we were told not to take prisoners. There was no way to process & contain them while staying on schedule. Therefore there were no wounded emeny combatants. There are ways/ tactics/ phrases which make it acceptable under the rules of war.
During the “rebuilding” of Iraq when most of the combatants were of more value for Intel we received different orders.

2 Likes

GripPod on my AR, for any occasion. Foregrip on my TAVOR for special occasions!

Not my gun but same exact setup.

2 Likes

No one brought up the question of barrel length. 16" or more either can be used. Under 16", the whole SBR vs. pistol issue comes up when using a vertical grip. Magpul also makes another foregrip option that integrates into the m-lok type 2 covers, lower profile and less weight.
mag608_blk_1

3 Likes

On an SBR you can use anything. It’s the legal weirdness of a pistol with a brace where you can’t use a vertical but may be able to use angled or similar (the vertical makes it an NFA regulated AOW IIRC). When I ran an AR style pistol with a brace, I would only put a finger stop on it…I’m paranoid like that.

But my SBR gets a stubby VFG same as my caribines.

1 Like

I tried both and prefer a “stubby”, short, vertical grip. Allows me better control and is more comfortable for me. Note that it is NOT held as a pistol grip though.

1 Like

It depends on the long gun too. CZ scorpion Carbine bullpup I am using F.A.B VTS. It’s all about your use case.

1 Like

I fail to see the need for a grip of either description.

My mission is home defense, and my AR is my preferred home defense weapon. When researching options I did, of course come across several videos from professionals (ie. people with WAY more experience than I have), and what it seems like is that the primary purpose of a fore-grip is to help you form your C-clamp grip in the right place to activate your weapon light/ other accessories.

I don’t use a C-clamp grip. Its purpose seems to be to help control recoil, but it is extremely uncomfortable, pushes my hand past the muzzle of my gun if I use it the way I have heard you need to, and my AR just doesn’t recoil enough to make it seem worth it. These add up to me deciding I don’t need a fore-grip.

Now, all that said, I believe EVERY SINGLE military guntuber I have ever seen has a fore-grip and uses a C-clamp grip. Since they all do it, I suspect I’m missing something. I’d love to sit and pick one of their brains about it, but I just currently don’t see a need.

2 Likes

I’d start by figuring out why it pushes your hand past the muzzle, that shouldn’t be happening in any way

1 Like

Checkout the KAG by BCM. By far my favorite grip so far.

1 Like

Most explanations I’ve heard from said “experts” give 2 reasons-
1, An indexing mark. Not only for a pressure pad/switch for a WML but to ensure consistent hold for accuracy.
2, Additional point of contact for weapon retention & ease of maneuver. If the need arises to transition to a handgun the weak hand can guide the rifle down. Avoid having it hit or get caught on anything without sacrificing speed on your draw.

That’s a fair point and I should, perhaps, have noted that my AR is an AR10, .308, so it does have a bit of recoil as compared to the 5.56.